Need info/advice from Part time sups

MisloadManny

15/1 misload frequency!!!
Hey Guys
I'm a rookie to this forum but have known about it for a few months. I finally just decided to join. I just need any kind of useful/important info from past/current part time sups. I'm really interested in becoming a sup and have a few reasons for it.

1. I noticed that sups in my area area treated pretty good. I have never heard anyone from upper management yell at or treat any part time sup poorly. What I've read on this forum about how sups are treated badly in other hubs is what kept my from putting in my letter in the first place.

2. I have come to the realization that labor work is just not my thing. I can certainly do it and have done been doing it for the past 14 months. Not much time compared to most of you guys, I know. But with my work ethic, I really wouldn't last more than 7-8 more years. Even though I just work part time, I seriously bust my ass for those four hours. I've been told by full time hourlies who work in the hub to take it easy. I work safely and efficiently, just at a faster pace BTW. I've tried to take it easy and just work slow like most of coworkers but I just can't do it. I've been working like this so in case I ever am a part time sup, the guys who work in my pd will know I was not a lazy ass when I was an hourly. So whenever I need them to step it up when we get hit, I won't get lip about it like I've seen other sups get.

3. My parents are pushing me to quit this job and find something better. My mother wants me to work at the post office with her. She's upper management there and I know I could move up the ladder there quicker but I would rather do it on my own. Truth is, I'd like to stay at UPS mainly because I've met some cool, real people. I like the friendships I've made here and just feel comfortable here. Becoming a sup would get my parents off my back about leaving and give me some breathing room.

4. I'd rather have stress of the mind by becoming a sup than strain on the body by staying an hourly.

Basically, if I don't get to be a sup, I'll have to quit. I figure that since I don't like my situation, I should change it. If I can't change it, then quit and look for something else.

So If I could just get any kind of helpful info/advice from sups, I would really appreciate it. I want to know what else I could do to get noticed by upper management at UPS. I don't think my work has gotten me any recognition. Thanks to those of you who read all of this.

Last edited:

Six Sides

Misload Manny,
Sounds like you have already made up your mind, put you letter in now! Also change your name, something like “Perfect Service Manny.

trickpony1

3. My parents are pushing me to quit this job and find something better. My mother wants me to work at the post office with her. She's upper management there and I know I could move up the ladder there quicker but I would rather do it on my own. Truth is, I'd like to stay at UPS mainly because I've met some cool, real people.

Basically, if I don't get to be a sup, I'll have to quit.

I want to know what else I could do to get noticed by upper management at UPS. I don't think my work has gotten me any recognition.

It sounds like you gauge your self worth on what others think of you.
Those "......cool, real people" that you've met don't give a flip about you.
They won't be around when you need them.

If you want job security the rest of your life do what your mom said and work for the USPS. If you want stress, a broken down body and kicked to the curb in your late fifties when no one else will hire you then zoom right up that ladder of success with "our" company.
It's obvious you haven't read any of the threads regarding the lack of incentives/benefits/retirement for management.
Look before you leap!

Channahon

I have made up my mind. Now I just need information of how to go about it.

Let your part time sup and full time sup know that you would like to be a part time sup. They will know what process you have to go through.

It can be the first step to a career with UPS, if you are not in school, you may want to consider going back to get a degree which interests you.

I know of many part time sups who stayed with UPS until they graduated. Some moved on and others stayed with UPS.

Anyways, lots of opportunities, the choices are yours.

Good luck

tieguy

Banned
I love the way Trick has now even become an expert on the management position and even to distinguishing the post office a better job choice then UPS. Meanwhile manny you may notice trick chose UPS over the post office when I'm sure they would have loved having someone with his mental instability.

Start by talking to your friend/t sup and letting him/her know you're interested.

write and submit a letter of interest and a resume.

Then the MAPP tests and interviews with divison manager and HR start.

And by then you should have a good idea of where you stand.

its great you don't want to take advantage of mom at the post office. But don't totally discount the help.
the process of promotion is not totally devoid of some type of nepotism.
You not only have to deliver results at your current level but it usually helps if you have someone at a higher level that believes in you and fights to get you that promotion. We sometimes call them daddys. :thumbup1:

BROWNDAWG

I have made up my mind. Now I just need information of how to go about it.
TIME/OUT MANNY!!!!:w00t::w00t: YOU SOUND MISINFORMED. BECOMING A P/TIME SUP IS THE WORST MISTAKE YOU COULD EVER MAKE. THE PAY STINKS, YOU MAKE MORE AS AN HOURLY THAN A P/TIME SUP. YOU WONT HAVE THE JOB PROTECTION YOU ENJOY NOW PLUS YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO WORK HANDLING PKGS FOR LESS PAY DUE TO STAFFING ISSUES. DONT FORGET THE EXTRA PAPERWORK YOU WILL HAVE TO TURN IN EVERYDAY ASAP. PART TIME SUPS ARE ONLY THERE TO TAKE THE BLAME FOR friend/T SUPERVISORS. TRUST ME YOU WILL DEFINATELY REGRET IT. REMEMBER AS AN HOURLY,ALWAYS MAINTAIN A PACE YOU CAN EXPECT TO PERFORM DAILY- DONT OVEREXERT YOURSELF /UNION DOESNT RECOGNIZE PRODUCTION STANDARDS DO WHAT YOUR COWORKERS ARE DOING THEYRE WORKING SAFE!!! NOT BEING LAZY!!!!

diesel96

First off Manny,you have to put the time in like everyone else(14 months isn't very long),there may be dozens of other applicants with much more experience who put their wanna be mngmt letter in.

You come off sounding a little arrogant as far as your work ethic exceeds that of your co-workers and the USPS workers,expecting to move up the ladder so quickly as a ROOKIE.You don't like to labor and you'll quit if you dont get your way so soon.

Quote:"Truth is, I'd like to stay at UPS mainly because I've met some cool, real people. I like the friendships I've made here and just feel comfortable here. Becoming a sup would get my parents off my back about leaving and give me some breathing room."

Let's be real as a P/T Sup. your freindships won't last long when you have to give out warning letters and fire someone close,or tell them to pick up the pace when upper mngt is coming down on you.

Quote: I noticed that sups in my area area treated pretty good. I have never heard anyone from upper management yell at or treat any part time sup poorly. What I've read on this forum about how sups are treated badly in other hubs is what kept my from putting in my letter in the first place

Managers rotate from center to center,odds are you will encounter a "in your face",yelling, poorly treating Mgr.

My advise to you is stop letting your parents push you around and stress you out,do your time, prove yourself like everybody else,don't brownnose too much,and keep putting your letter in.
I know hourly is different than mngt but it took me 20 yrs to drive feeders.No hand outs at UPS.If you can't hack it try the USPS.I'm sure its the same deal their.

R

RegretItEveryDay

>>>BECOMING A P/TIME SUP IS THE WORST MISTAKE YOU COULD EVER MAKE. THE PAY STINKS, YOU MAKE MORE AS AN HOURLY THAN A P/TIME SUP. YOU WONT HAVE THE JOB PROTECTION YOU ENJOY NOW PLUS YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO WORK HANDLING PKGS FOR LESS PAY DUE TO STAFFING ISSUES. <<<

Agreed. I regret my decision every day.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
TIME/OUT MANNY!!!!:w00t::w00t: YOU SOUND MISINFORMED. BECOMING A P/TIME SUP IS THE WORST MISTAKE YOU COULD EVER MAKE. THE PAY STINKS, YOU MAKE MORE AS AN HOURLY THAN A P/TIME SUP. YOU WONT HAVE THE JOB PROTECTION YOU ENJOY NOW PLUS YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO WORK HANDLING PKGS FOR LESS PAY DUE TO STAFFING ISSUES. DONT FORGET THE EXTRA PAPERWORK YOU WILL HAVE TO TURN IN EVERYDAY ASAP. PART TIME SUPS ARE ONLY THERE TO TAKE THE BLAME FOR friend/T SUPERVISORS. TRUST ME YOU WILL DEFINATELY REGRET IT. REMEMBER AS AN HOURLY,ALWAYS MAINTAIN A PACE YOU CAN EXPECT TO PERFORM DAILY- DONT OVEREXERT YOURSELF /UNION DOESNT RECOGNIZE PRODUCTION STANDARDS DO WHAT YOUR COWORKERS ARE DOING THEYRE WORKING SAFE!!! NOT BEING LAZY!!!!

Whoa, CAPS LOCK fury hath been unleashed. Who let the caps out? Who, who, who, who?

MisloadManny

Thanks for the info guys. A majority of you think it would be a bad decision and right now, I'm sort of 50/50 about it. The main reason I was thinking about doing it is because being UPS management would look pretty good on a resume. I was never planning on being a full time sup. If anything, it would be my second job. If I were to get a full time job as USPS and have a part time sup job at UPS, would that be a conflict of interest. I heard if either company found out, I would get fired from both. Do any of you know more about this?

CFLBrown

3. My parents are pushing me to quit this job and find something better. My mother wants me to work at the post office with her. She's upper management there and I know I could move up the ladder there quicker but I would rather do it on my own. Truth is, I'd like to stay at UPS mainly because I've met some cool, real people. I like the friendships I've made here and just feel comfortable here. Becoming a sup would get my parents off my back about leaving and give me some breathing room.

I dont know what bowl of crap your mom is feeding you. The Postal Service works similar to UPS w/ unions and seniority. If you are coming in off the street as a temp employee you wont be moving anywhere but down. If you want any type of full time employment there you have to pass a test and your ability to become 'friend/T' will be based on your score. Take it from someone that was a temp postal employee, then a PTF and then converted to a regular. I've been there.

MisloadManny

I also forgot to mention that the hub operations manager of the hub I work at is the meanest/coldest looking guy I've ever seen. I hardly ever hear him speak. I think other than the division manager, he is the highest authority on the night shift. Would I have to have an interview with him, or the full time sup who walks around making sure the night shift is fully staffed and running smoothly. I get along with this guy better and he knows the kind of worker I am.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
sounds like you wanna be a part timer sup to escape the hardship of being a loader. You stated you just want a good looking resume but don't know if you want to go full time management. If that's the case, then just do it. don't focus on the pros and cons and whatever opinion we give, just do it.

trickpony1

gosh, Tieguy, it appears there are some others that agree with that evil, vile 'ol trickpony.......so it must not be just my twisted mind.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Dude your not manegment material your indecisive , scared to talk to a mean hub manager and seem to timid , you said yourself that before posting on here you waited a couple of months. wait until you have to deal with a pissed of feeder driver then you will know the meening of being scared man and trust me , youve only been there 14 months you are going to get lip when you ask people to step it up regardles of how fast you worked . Ever hear the phraze go teach your grandma to suck eggs ? As far as saying youve met some real people at UPS , do you not get out much ? theres real people everywhere . If you cant see yourself lasting doing physical work at UPS theres no way you`ll make it as a sup its a tough job man . I heard build a bear is hiring though !

trevorb6

If you are known as "Missort Manny", upper management already knows who you are! Working fast is good, but what good does it do when you load alot of packages going to the wrong destination? Working fast and screwing up is counter- productive; not a trait that will enhance your being considered your being in charge of anything for any company. Start off by learning to do the job right (no missorts) and the speed will naturally follow. No novice pianist plays "Flight Of The Bumble Bee" acuratly in the first 6 or 8 months. Learn the job first and then become the boss.

MisloadManny

If you are known as "Missort Manny", upper management already knows who you are! Working fast is good, but what good does it do when you load alot of packages going to the wrong destination? Working fast and screwing up is counter- productive; not a trait that will enhance your being considered your being in charge of anything for any company. Start off by learning to do the job right (no missorts) and the speed will naturally follow. No novice pianist plays "Flight Of The Bumble Bee" acuratly in the first 6 or 8 months. Learn the job first and then become the boss.

Regarding my user name, its just a bit of a joke. I'm quite the opposite actually. I've had the best misload frequency in the hub for a while and do more than 320 pph.