Need info on feeder driver position please.

Jim1966

Thank you guys. Very eye-opening info. Think I'll go to the interview (might not) but I think I'll stay where I am. Appreciate the feedback. Greatly appreciate it.

Jim1966

P.S. I'm in Buffalo NY. I drive for Walmart. I am happy where I am, just hoped to find an equally happy job to be home more but I don't want to take a pay cut or be miserable (and if 70K is top rate, it would be a HUGE pay cut). Thanks again to everyone.

barnyard

KTM rider
Interesting conversation. I have read on other boards that Walmart is about the best non-union gig out there. Some have been starting to complain that incidentals are being cut and insurance copays are rising. Still, it sounds like the turnover there is almost as low as the turnover at UPS (feeder department, that is.)

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Interesting conversation. I have read on other boards that Walmart is about the best non-union gig out there. Some have been starting to complain that incidentals are being cut and insurance copays are rising. Still, it sounds like the turnover there is almost as low as the turnover at UPS (feeder department, that is.)
I'm not sure it's the best, but it's pretty good. They have very strict hiring requirements, and even if you meet those it doesn't guarantee you a job.

I see lots of contractors for them and I also see new company trucks everyday, so I can only imagine they are expanding their fleet.

QKRSTKR

Good for you Jim1966. Stay where you are at if your happy. Miserable life bottom of feeder board. Worse than what you have.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I'm seeing a lot of the lightweight frieghtliners with midroofs. Very ugly and small looking compared to the full size condo.

I can't imagine why they'd grow their fleet when they can just use contractors but then again they're clearly buying new tractors so idk

Jim1966

Not expanding their fleet, just replacing tractors that have a certain number of miles.

As for contractors, yes, we use a lot when needed to supplement the Private Fleet. Delivery times are critical especially the grocery side.

Walmart IS an awesome job, just tested the waters due to my wife's health issues but I have pretty much Rolls Royce insurance so I went into this needing a match in pay and benefits. Well...that ended abruptly. Ups made up my mind for me within 30 seconds, telling the 6 of us who showed up that the 'full time' job we applied for was part time seasonal until January 1st, at $21/hr then we could work the warehouse 3.5 hours a day for $10/hr until they MAYBE found a spot for us (on call).

So, glad I went and checked it out, at least I won't be wondering 'what if', and I'm certainly happy to stay where I am.

Thank you sincerely to all of you and the valuable, honest replies and advice. Because of that I knew what to expect.

upschuck

Not expanding their fleet, just replacing tractors that have a certain number of miles.

As for contractors, yes, we use a lot when needed to supplement the Private Fleet. Delivery times are critical especially the grocery side.

Walmart IS an awesome job, just tested the waters due to my wife's health issues but I have pretty much Rolls Royce insurance so I went into this needing a match in pay and benefits. Well...that ended abruptly. Ups made up my mind for me within 30 seconds, telling the 6 of us who showed up that the 'full time' job we applied for was part time seasonal until January 1st, at $21/hr then we could work the warehouse 3.5 hours a day for $10/hr until they MAYBE found a spot for us (on call).

So, glad I went and checked it out, at least I won't be wondering 'what if', and I'm certainly happy to stay where I am.

Thank you sincerely to all of you and the valuable, honest replies and advice. Because of that I knew what to expect.
The good numbers you hear, 100k+, paid benefits, are for seasoned UPSers, and not for off the street guys. You have to put in some time to get there. You sound like you have a good gig at Wal-Mart.

Hope the wife gets well soon for you.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I didn't realize it took that long to make top pay. When I started, you made $1.00 an hour less than top pay. Every 30 days worked, you got a .25 raise. You were at top pay in 4 calendar months. The good old days. Sigh.