Need some advice

sjh

As whenIgetthere said, using any electronic device while driving will get you fired at Express. What don't you understand here?

You quoting someone else to clarify your original statement = my point exactly. I completely understand not using electronic devices WHILE DRIVING. That's not what you said, hence the question.

fedx.drivr

I would love to get this app. Can you tell me the name?
Sorry about my last reply, still figuring out this forum. The app i downloaded is called CoPilot GPS. You just punch in all the stops, and then look at the map and it puts little flags where you need to go, and plan the order in which to do them. The app is free for iphone. I think it also will give directions to get there, but i will just use it to plan the most efficient route, as some seem to think gps will get me fired. Im gonna try it on Monday, and will post about the results of my route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry about my last reply, still figuring out this forum. The app i downloaded is called CoPilot GPS. You just punch in all the stops, and then look at the map and it puts little flags where you need to go, and plan the order in which to do them. The app is free for iphone. I think it also will give directions to get there, but i will just use it to plan the most efficient route, as some seem to think gps will get me fired. Im gonna try it on Monday, and will post about the results of my route.

GPS in and of itself will not get you fired. Using a handheld device while driving will. Mount your cell phone to the dash or somewhere you can easily see it while driving without distraction.

When you tell us about the results of your route be sure to tell us how long it took you to input all of the data and whether you felt the time saved was worth the effort.

fedx.drivr

Ok, so I know i cant be typing in a gps while driving(duh), but is it allowed to be pre-programed and mounted on your dash? Seems like there is some confusion on this subject.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok, so I know i cant be typing in a gps while driving(duh), but is it allowed to be pre-programed and mounted on your dash? Seems like there is some confusion on this subject.

I notice that you are from Canada. From what I recall I know that you cannot have radar detectors but I don't know of any restrictions on dash-mounted pre-programmed GPS devices.

There is no confusion---you can't be holding it in your hand while driving but you can mount it on your dash and listen to the prompts.

Personally, other than the maps function, I have little use for a GPS device.

Last edited:

whenIgetthere

Not being rude, but duh. Nothing is allowed while driving: GPS, phone, scanner...at least in California. But you're allowed to use a GPS in general. He made it sound like a blanket statement that might confuse a new driver.

I said WHILE DRIVING, nothing that says he can't use it.

sjh

I said WHILE DRIVING, nothing that says he can't use it.

Holy crap, this is out of control, haha. Yes, you said it right. Someone else made the statement "using a gps will get you fired if you get caught" - made it sound like gps systems weren't allowed, hence the confusion.

Using a GPS is completely allowed. Touching the screen WHILE DRIVING is not. The latter seems pretty obvious though.

@fedx.driver - I applaud you for trying to improve your service. I strongly applaud a good work ethic, regardless of how crappy you regard your employer.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
When you tell us about the results of your route be sure to tell us how long it took you to input all of the data and whether you felt the time saved was worth the effort.

Yeah,
I'm interested in that too. Any way you can "talk to text" the addresses in?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I notice that you are from Canada. From what I recall I know that you cannot have radar detectors but I don't know of any restrictions on dash-mounted pre-programmed GPS devices.

There is no confusion---you can't be holding it in your hand while driving but you can mount it on your dash and listen to the prompts.

Personally, other than the maps function, I have little use for a GPS device.

By the way...welcome back. I guess the Betty Ford Clinic for BC addiction failed.

bbsam

Staff member
Was never really an issue, because I simply don't have time to administer it properly. Come on, you can tell us...it was because you and bbsam couldn't bear to be separated, right?

Still a bit sensitive about that, eh? You do talk a good game though. Just nothing to back it up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Turn by turn navigation?

My point was that I would use the map(s) and plot my own course rather than rely on turn by turn navigation.

FedEx Express would not allow the use of turn-by-turn GPS because it would be considered an "electronic device" and a potential distraction. GPS isn't going to help you efficiently route your stops anyway...it merely provides directions. The only time I use the Navigation feature on my smartphone is if there is a new street that isn't in the mapbook. If you're familiar with your area, you don't need it anyway, and in my experience, about 5% of the time the Nav feature provides faulty information, such as streets that don't go through etc.

It looks like we run our routes the same way. And I was serious about my earlier "Welcome Back". We usually disagree, but you're fun to bat around.

fedx.drivr

So i have been using this new app "copilot gps" the last couple of days, and it is definitly helping me. It does take a bit of time to input all the addresses, but it is quicker than using a map book. I input all my stops, then look at the map, and it shows the whole area with little flags at all the stops and I can decide the best order to do the route. I dont use the directions it gives, I just use it to plan my route. For most guys who know there route it would be pointless, but As I am a "casual" courier, I am always on a different unfamiliar route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So i have been using this new app "copilot gps" the last couple of days, and it is definitly helping me. It does take a bit of time to input all the addresses, but it is quicker than using a map book. I input all my stops, then look at the map, and it shows the whole area with little flags at all the stops and I can decide the best order to do the route. I dont use the directions it gives, I just use it to plan my route. For most guys who know there route it would be pointless, but As I am a "casual" courier, I am always on a different unfamiliar route.

How do you account for all of the different service levels and time commits?

HomeDelivery

isn't that program DRA or ROADS is for? how come it isn't up and running in your station yet, OP?

as a swing for HD, i do get those little plots in the "map overview" & i can pack my stuff accordingly if i want to do the business stops along w/ my earlier resi's to make service before they close... then revert to following the street-by-street directions. of course, i'll run into a few misplots & will either code it as 02/03 or go ahead and waste my time to get to the correct location if it's not too far off from my local service area

Grounded

HD has that, Ground does not. Ground does, however, have a system called Vision for the loaders that can print out very, very good maps. I prefer this. HD drivers seem to lean too much for too long on the plotting program. It is a decent tool for learning though.

bbsam is right if a contractor or ISP spends some time with a P+D manager or P+D coordinator they get get the packages loaded in order of first to last in vision, if you get it working well it should make life much easier.