New 22.3 jobs not happening?

Overpaid Union Thug

Where in the contract does it say that a junior employee can bypass a senior employee for a full time job?

They can write anything on a bid sheet they want to. Doesn't make it true.

Article 48 Section 6 (friend)

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting it but the bid sheets that "WERE" up did say the jobs were open to current package drivers only. They were bids for new full-time driver positions.

browniehound

Lets remember most of these jobs have until aug 1st to be placed! The union better not agree to a 4 year progression and we better not vote that garbage in!
Of course that will be voted in. The majority of union members are over 4 years senority and could care less about a 4-year progression if thats one of the last sticking points.

govols019

You smell that?
Article 48 Section 6 (friend)

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting it but the bid sheets that "WERE" up did say the jobs were open to current package drivers only. They were bids for new full-time driver positions.

That language only applies to new routes or routes vacated by a driver. Only full-time people can bid them.

Transition from part-time to full-time goes on seniority basis. Hate to burst your bubble but the only thing that your time as a part-time cover driver gains you is that you don't have to qualify again.

Overpaid Union Thug

That language only applies to new routes or routes vacated by a driver. Only full-time people can bid them.

Transition from part-time to full-time goes on seniority basis. Hate to burst your bubble but the only thing that your time as a part-time cover driver gains you is that you don't have to qualify again.

Doesn't burst my bubble. It only thing you mentioned that affects me is the part about not having to qualify again and that's a good thing. The only thing that has burst my bubble is the freezing of the jobs. Totally sucks!

FEGuy

Jobs aren't happening because the Teamsters can't handle more full time jobs. Told the company to back off on them because they can't, at the present time, fund pensions for any newly created jobs. How sad.

Overpaid Union Thug

Jobs aren't happening because the Teamsters can't handle more full time jobs. Told the company to back off on them because they can't, at the present time, fund pensions for any newly created jobs. How sad.

I don't think that is true at all. A few days ago our union reps told us that the whole thing happened because of contract negotiations. UPS is behind on creating the required number of new full-time jobs per the contract so the IBT was pressuring them about it during negotiations. So, the company had all jobs that were up for bid taken down out of spite. It's pathetic.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've read on here in a long time.:poop:

brett636

I'm hoping the 4 year wage progression doesn't happen as my cuirrent wage progression ends 3 months after the new contract goes into effect. :sad:

Overpaid Union Thug

Right now the guys in my center are just hoping the new jobs are all taken off hold so that some of us can go full-time soon. Grievances have been filed by stewards all across our district for the jobs that had already finished their 10 days bid periods. It's not right to post a job and later award the winning bidders the jobs and even tell them their start dates just to end up having the company put them on hold because they don't like how negotiations are going. I hope stewards are doing this everywhere.

A four year progression sucks but it's still better than what allot of other companys offer. I have friends that have been working in factorys for over 10 years and still make between $12/hr-$15/hr. Also have friends that have degrees that don't make the same money our full-timers at UPS do. I'm still part-time and earn more $$ each year than my friends with full-time jobs.

RozUPS

How would this situation affect a Sat air driver position? I was told just b4 Memorial day that I was up for Sat driving..They have never contacted me since then. I have had to go up to HR to find out what the status was just to get the driving test and dot. They told me over two weeks ago I was going to Driving school this week but after not hearing from them for two weeks I went up day b4 the 4th to confirm I was going and I was told I wasn't:mad:. That was last Tuesday and I haven't heard from them since. So is this normal treatment?

raceanoncr

You've GOT to be kidding us!!!!! How sad, yes! That's what this comment is!!!

Overpaid Union Thug

How would this situation affect a Sat air driver position? I was told just b4 Memorial day that I was up for Sat driving..They have never contacted me since then. I have had to go up to HR to find out what the status was just to get the driving test and dot. They told me over two weeks ago I was going to Driving school this week but after not hearing from them for two weeks I went up day b4 the 4th to confirm I was going and I was told I wasn't:mad:. That was last Tuesday and I haven't heard from them since. So is this normal treatment?

No I'm pretty sure part-time positions aren't affected. UPS will hire into those as much as they can.

Last edited:

RozUPS

No I'm pretty sure part-time positions aren't affected. UPS will hire into those as much as they can.

I'm just confussed because they said I was up for Sat driving right b4 Memorial day. I filled out the online app on 5/30 and since then I have not heard anything regarding the status.. I've had to go up to find out what's going on just to get the driving test and dot physical. They said I was going to driving school this week but told me last week I wasn't. I just don't get it. If it takes this long and they tell you up front it will that's one thing but to tell you nothing for over a month is very frustrating.:confused:1

bear123

I'm not following you red...sorry I'm a little out of it today.

But anyway, I have no guarantee, I don't think UPS or the Teamsters have any intentions of raising the pay of PTimers. I've heard they plan on cutting back the guaranteed hours, so my hopes for a wage increase are just that, hopes, I don't believe it will happen at all. I really don't think anyone including the Teamsters (I mean the organization itself, not necessarily UPS teamsters) respect the part time workforce at UPS.

Around here the minimum wage is rapidly closing in on the base rate that UPS offers (currently $7.50/hr) and I know its the same case in other regions too. Come contract time the min wage in MA will be $8/hr which is just 50 cents shy of the starting wage at UPS. I'm not sure if anyone knows but MA has one of the highest costs of living around. So it will only get harder for UPS to field a workforce around here (its already hard enough judging by staffing at my hub).

Just for the record, I don't expect a part time job to pay all my bills (it doesn't lol) but right now for some it doesn't really contribute much to them either especially with gas the way it is.

You hit the nail directly on the head westside--that is one of the sticking points in the negotiations--the company absolutely refuses to budge on increasing the part-time starting pay, even though the union is pushing hard to get that gap decreased. It is the first time that the union is actually fighting for the part-timers.
Because of that resistance of pay increase for part timers, it means UPS has to be getting some kind of kick back from the government--tax-wise--regarding turn-overs. In other words the more turn-overs the company has, the more UPS has in tax breaks.
To make sure that the turn-overs increases, they plan to cut back on the 3 and a half hour gurantee and go back to the 3 hour gurantee.
Though the company would never admit it, this is going to blow up in their faces big-time because one of these days, no one--i mean no one-- will come to work for ups because of the low pay and only 3 hours gurantee; especially with gas prices increasing constantl. Between the initiation fees, union dues and gas prices, it definitely is not worth it to work for ups. they can get a job at McDonalds, work in air conditioning and probably work their own hours.

RozUPS

You hit the nail directly on the head westside--that is one of the sticking points in the negotiations--the company absolutely refuses to budge on increasing the part-time starting pay, even though the union is pushing hard to get that gap decreased. It is the first time that the union is actually fighting for the part-timers.
Because of that resistance of pay increase for part timers, it means UPS has to be getting some kind of kick back from the government--tax-wise--regarding turn-overs. In other words the more turn-overs the company has, the more UPS has in tax breaks.
To make sure that the turn-overs increases, they plan to cut back on the 3 and a half hour gurantee and go back to the 3 hour gurantee.
Though the company would never admit it, this is going to blow up in their faces big-time because one of these days, no one--i mean no one-- will come to work for ups because of the low pay and only 3 hours gurantee; especially with gas prices increasing constantl. Between the initiation fees, union dues and gas prices, it definitely is not worth it to work for ups. they can get a job at McDonalds, work in air conditioning and probably work their own hours.

What's up with the 3.5 hr guarantee? Is this company wide for PTers? I get paid the hrs I work which are less than 3.5 hr per day on average.

kingOFchester

Roz, are you saying you don't get the 3.5? I guess in a way that isnot all bad. Heck, cut it back to 2 hours. As a part timer, i am there for bennefits. Saves me over 1k a month!! Also there to drive at some point

Joe Blow

Here in Connecticut there seems to be no problem with the 22-3 jobs. The 4 positions which were posted were bid and all 4 are utilized. I took one of the combo jobs because I needed an operation on my foot. I've been with the company for 20 years and this job oportunity was like a blessing. I was in pain every day while on package car but I couldn't afford to be out of work for any extended period of time. I had the operation and I'm back at work at the combo job. Another driver who bid one of the 22-3 jobs can't drive package anymore and is waiting to go to feeders. So his job worked for him as well. Don't get me wrong, management hates these jobs because they are paying twice the payroll as compared to a part timer. I believe that there is an assumption by both management and hourly concerning the 22-3 jobs. Many hourly talked of a job where you come to work and hide out all day then punch out (a gratis union contract freebee). I believe management felt the same way. When I first started this job, they didn't know where to put me to work. But now that I've been there awhile I have a task oriented job. Basically they just want to keep me busy. I do car wash, line-up, sorting, early am deliveries, NDA deliveries and some ground work. The deal with that is--if I deliver 1 ground package then they will have to pay me regular drivers rate for the whole 8 hours. Only happened twice. They have assigned me other tasks as well and I really don't have a problem with it. Hey I'm getting almost $25 an hour for work that they normally pay half as much for. The hardest part of this job is getting use to working over night. Well I hope they don't put these jobs on the shelf because they really do serve a purpose after all.