New Career @ UPS

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Goirish05, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Goirish05

Goirish05 New Member

Greetings,

I’m looking for a career change and looking at possibly starting a career at UPS after 7 years in law enforcement. Recently, I came across this website and was looking for some suggestions and recommendations for this new career opportunity. From what I’ve seen so far I’m somewhat disappointed I didn’t join UPS years ago because the pension and insurance I had from law enforcement (which was decent) is nothing like what is offered at UPS. I’m currently in my early 30’s. I hope that isn’t too late to start this opportunity. I’m okay starting part time and working my way through the ranks in order to become a full time package driver. It looks like there is a lot of change upcoming for UPS is this a good time to join? I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  2. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Welcome to UPS hybrid driver

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

4. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

The only problem I’ve seen with law enforcement employees that they think they are in charge , your not in charge, UPS CALLS THE SHOTS

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Do you still have your handcuffs?

6. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

this is probably the most accurate assessment of UPS I have ever seen here.

HVU

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  7. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Move out West. Public safety out here pays extremely well and has one the best pension/ benefit packages of any public or private sector.

8. GenericUsername

GenericUsername Active Member

FWIW, I started UPS at 29 after 12 years in my previous job. It's been 4 years almost and probably the best move I've made. Sure, there's politics and stupid crap you have to put up with, but honestly that's every job. This one you just happen to get paid more to do it. The worst times of this job are when you're inside the center. The minute you get out on the road in your own car is great. Sure, traffic can blow, customers can be rude, the weather sucks... but it's really all down to how you keep yourself moving throughout the day. Any day I don't have to sit inside a building and do the same crap over and over is great. Even though I'm technically doing the same thing over and over, being outside and enjoying fresh air for a great pay is fine with me.

If you can afford to start at the bottom then by all means, go for it. That is, if this is truly what you want to do. If you think you may quit in 7 years from now, then I think you'd be better off sticking with law enforcement.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. TheMachine

TheMachine Are you sure you want to punch out?

Why the hell would you want to leave working as a LEO and come to ups?

Maybe it’s just the part of the country I’m in but here, cops are sitting very pretty and you’d be mental to leave, considering the absolute fight you have on your hands just to land the job.

10. Why would people go to college for 4 years to get a 50k job??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You are almost halfway to retirement as an officer. If you start at ups you've got 30 years left to put in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  12. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

why would they go for 4 years to get a degree in Marxism with a minor in Social Justice just to work as a barista?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  13. Starbucks pays better than UPS...

14. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

As a cop you can always pretend the bad guy got his bruises because he "tripped". At UPS management is always "tripping" you.

15. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

Stay being a cop. I never met a cop yet that didn't have that cop mentality. Cop mentality won't work for you at UPS.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

No one at my center knows that I've got a degree. I find it hilarious myself as I pay my student loans to know that I wasted four years of my life getting a degree in philosophy. Lel let's argue and whether we have free will cause materialism biotch don't you understand cause and effect?

Meanwhile how many years did I waste towards my progression and my retirement? I listen to more books as a driver with my Bluetooth in my ear then I ever did as a college student learning all about why I should hate myself and hate my children.

What a :censored2:ing waste of time.

Meanwhile I'll be 62 with broken knees and a broken body before I can ever hope to retire with any of the pension that probably won't even exist by that time.

I'm banking on my kids for retirement.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

how old are you man? if you’ve got at least 15-20 years before retirement you can absolutely invest your way to it

18. john chesney

john chesney Well-Known Member

You going send him to a link with all kind of lies let us tell him like it is. It blows and I forbid any of my kids to work there. I would never want them to work at that miserable place however retirement is amazing!!!!!

19. john chesney

Please don’t use big words like barista. I think I’m speaking for everyone we are stupid truck drivers

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. john chesney

Try putting 30 years in that hell hole now. At least I got probably 15 years in before it started going down the tubes. 30 years starting today would be unbearable

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List