New Company Tactics

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
A good friend of mine has been working as a casual feeder driver for approx 2 yrs now, if no one is familar with casuals, they fill in during peak, then are laid off beginning of year then come back for vacations then laid off in october then, cycle again.

At any rate...he informed me last night that he received a call from the dispatcher, lets just say this dispatchers name is "John" and my friends name is "Tom". (real names left out) Here was the conversation.

Tom - "Hello?"

John - "Hey Tom how you doing? I was wondering if you received your ballot in the mail yet?"

Tom - "No John, im not a Union member."

John - "Well you pay dues don't you?"

Tom - "No I do not Tom Im just a casual driver."

John - "Well that doesnt matter...We need you to vote!"

Tom - "Ummm...Okay..."

John - "Give me your address and I will get a ballot out to you. and ofcourse we need you to vote 'yes' please."

---------------------------------------------------

As you can see the company is trying to "CHEAT" (if you will) the system that is in place, and HOW? i do not know yet but im calling my local today and voicing my opinion.

Whether or not they are trying to scheme the casuals into thinking if they vote 'yes' maybe they will make me fulltime, or whatever i dont know but im very concerned over how they (UPS) is getting ballots to NONPAYING UNION MEMBERS!

It really erks me off!

tieguy

Banned
A good friend of mine has been working as a casual feeder driver for approx 2 yrs now, if no one is familar with casuals, they fill in during peak, then are laid off beginning of year then come back for vacations then laid off in october then, cycle again.

At any rate...he informed me last night that he received a call from the dispatcher, lets just say this dispatchers name is "John" and my friends name is "Tom". (real names left out) Here was the conversation.

Tom - "Hello?"

John - "Hey Tom how you doing? I was wondering if you received your ballot in the mail yet?"

Tom - "No John, im not a Union member."

John - "Well you pay dues don't you?"

Tom - "No I do not Tom Im just a casual driver."

John - "Well that doesnt matter...We need you to vote!"

Tom - "Ummm...Okay..."

John - "Give me your address and I will get a ballot out to you. and ofcourse we need you to vote 'yes' please."

---------------------------------------------------

As you can see the company is trying to "CHEAT" (if you will) the system that is in place, and HOW? i do not know yet but im calling my local today and voicing my opinion.

Whether or not they are trying to scheme the casuals into thinking if they vote 'yes' maybe they will make me fulltime, or whatever i dont know but im very concerned over how they (UPS) is getting ballots to NONPAYING UNION MEMBERS!

It really erks me off!

Thats one individual and I'm not naive enough to think that there aren't others out there that did not get the message but this is exactly what the company does not want us doing.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Thats one individual and I'm not naive enough to think that there aren't others out there that did not get the message but this is exactly what the company does not want us doing.

Tie is right!

It is management's job to ask you if you have received your ballot and to urge you to vote. Not to tell you how to vote. :wink:

Cole

I would like to know how the company would be getting "ballots out" to anyone, let alone non union members.

The company is not supposed to have anything to do with the ballots being sent to anyone. That is the unions duty, and they are mailed in to the Teamsters!

If he actucally gets a ballot, then that would be illegal, so contact the NLRB about it. Let us know here if he will let you know he got a ballot, but is not a dues paying member.

VTBrown

Guys...he's a troll.

Casual drivers DO pay Union dues. Casual drivers accrue pension and benefits.

Think the Union isn't going to collect dues?

All dues paying employees have the right to vote, casual or not.

brownrecluse

Guys...he's a troll.

Hmm.. seasonal package driver here... paying dues during peak. Am I to vote?

Cole

(1) He's not a trol, joined Jan 2007.
(2) He said the guy told the sup, "he is not a union member, and doesn't pay dues"
(3) The company should not be sending anyone a ballot.

browned out

The new company tactics are the same as the old ones.

UPS preaches integrity but it practices something entirely different.

The Union and UPS should tell us to vote but not yes or no.
I have now received 7 pieces of mail from UPS and the teamsters that encourage or threaten us to vote yes. Very disturbing.

tieguy

Banned
I would like to know how the company would be getting "ballots out" to anyone, let alone non union members.

We've been polling our people and if they did not get a ballot then we give the shop steward the name and address information of those who did not get ballots. So in this case if your guy files a NLRB complaint then the union may got caught up in it too. The best thing to do is let the union know and they can address it with that districts labor manager and HR department.

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
Guys...he's a troll.

Did you read my post? He does not pay dues, he never has paid dues, he has no reason to vote, although....he would vote "NO" ofcourse but thats not the point. The company should not have anything to do with this vote process.

They were never so concerned in the past if we got our ballots, wow imagine that. Now all the sudden they change their attitude towards the vote process? Ahh yea, we will help the union out! we will make sure everyone gets a ballot and mails it in. What the heck, we will even see how they voted....lol

Anyhow, ill let you know if this guy receives a ballot, if so it should be here any day now.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The handshake agreement is an excellent one for you, our customers, and our company. I recommend you vote “Yes” on all the agreements.

This quote is from upsers.com

browned out

How were you threatened?

District Managers letter. If the contract is not ratified it is highly likely that the central states pension improvements would not be allowed to take place. When the truth is that the pension laws can be extended or only apply to a fund that is in the red. As of now the Central states pension plan is in the yellow This kind of crap makes me sick.

d-rek357

i got a letter today from tn district mngr that said "im asking you to learn about the tenative agreement, ask questions, and vote YES for ratification." so i wonder how many new hires and 1 year or less employee's will get this and vote yes to something they dont understand. how many 18- 21 year old college student that dont even plan on staying at ups vote "yes" becase management said too.COMPANY TACTICS:thumbdown

browned out

Don't give me the Everyone has their own mind. I have my own garden someone planted a seed when I wasn't looking. Brussel sprouts i hate brussel sprouts.

Management

Stop putting ideas in peoples heads. No need for the vote yes only vote.:cursing: