New contract and sorters

No_Member_Name

So I’m a sorter that’s currently at $13....does this mean i go to $14.70 or do i go to $13.70 and i loose the sort dollar???

If a current sorter is at $11 (has the extra sort $1), does he go to $13 or $14 in August??

Rack em

Made the Podium
So I’m a sorter that’s currently at $13....does this mean i go to $14.70 or do i go to $13.70 and i loose the sort dollar???

If a current sorter is at $11 (has the extra sort $1), does he go to $13 or $14 in August??
As I understand it there will be no more "skilled" jobs with this new contract. So if you're at $13.00 now you will get the GWI to $13.70. No more extra dollar :(

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Well, you can’t loose a dollar, unless it’s stuck somewhere. You can lose a dollar, in a loose woman’s undies. And you can have loose change, which you can also lose in many ways.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Is it really that big of a deal? You'll still be ahead of where you are now either way. There are legitimate reasons to vote no, and I'm not too sure this is one of them...
What about the fact that $13 an hour is less than minimum wage in some states? And let's not forget how Ups is handing out weekly bonuses to new part timers which costs more than just paying the part timers a livable wage of $15 an hour. I'd say the poorly negotiated language for part timers is a very good reason to vote NO.

km3

What about the fact that $13 an hour is less than minimum wage in some states?

I'm not talking about the starting wage though, this is about the extra $1 for so-called skilled jobs. I agree that the starting wage itself should be higher.

And let's not forget how Ups is handing out weekly bonuses to new part timers which costs more than just paying the part timers a livable wage of $15 an hour.

If, in fact, they were handing out bonuses. We had a lot of trouble with those here. Some people weren't getting paid, and others were quitting without notice the moment the money stopped rolling in. They were so desperate they raised everybody below $15/hr to that rate, and did away with the bonuses.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Vote No, and this should be a vision of things to come. Think of it this way if its worth a dollar for the skill of sorting then... how much is the skill of knowledge a driver now has worth vs when we all are enhanced with orion only and turn by turn directions. Just a question this contract brought to mind

Time for change

And if you’re not currently getting the dollar, you’ll never get the dollar even if down the road you’re sorting next to a person with the same seniority date and doing the same job. Vote no!

Blackstream

Everyone who has the dollar keeps the dollar.
Do you keep the dollar if you change jobs to what used to be considered a non-skilled position? And how protected is that dollar on the contract? As in, if management goes in at some point and removes my dollar because I'm loading now or they hate me or something, is there an article I can point to that says I had it so I keep it?

Reason I ask is that I know someone who had a grandfathered extra dollar from when our small sort used to be considered a skilled position. They removed the skill by automating it but the people who had their dollar got to keep it.

Then many years later she found her dollar was randomly taken away, and when she tried to fight it, she was basically told by the union she couldn't fight it, and if she tried she'd only succeed in getting the dollar removed from the remaining grandfathered in people.

Might be a slightly different case, but it's close enough that I'd like to know just how much protection I have if someone does remove it in the future.

mikejonesjr

Do you keep the dollar if you change jobs to what used to be considered a non-skilled position? And how protected is that dollar on the contract? As in, if management goes in at some point and removes my dollar because I'm loading now or they hate me or something, is there an article I can point to that says I had it so I keep it?

Reason I ask is that I know someone who had a grandfathered extra dollar from when our small sort used to be considered a skilled position. They removed the skill by automating it but the people who had their dollar got to keep it.

Then many years later she found her dollar was randomly taken away, and when she tried to fight it, she was basically told by the union she couldn't fight it, and if she tried she'd only succeed in getting the dollar removed from the remaining grandfathered in people.

Might be a slightly different case, but it's close enough that I'd like to know just how much protection I have if someone does remove it in the future.
Yes, you keep it. It's in the new contract language.

Time for change

Don’t kid yourselves, many are getting the dollar taken away forever with this language. Completely bs. How about give everyone the dollar who isn’t currently getting it since the language says we are all skilled.

mikejonesjr

Don’t kid yourselves, many are getting the dollar taken away forever with this language. Completely bs. How about give everyone the dollar who isn’t currently getting it since the language says we are all skilled.
You mean you will lose the chance to get an extra dollar later on, but nobody who currently has it is going to lose it. Just to be clear