New Courier

!Retired!

I'm new to FedEx and struggling with my route. I'm not familiar with the area and the DRA doesn't help because I keep getting additional stop put on me. I have no idea what order to do the stops. I've heard of apps that help but where would I get the time to input all the stops. Any advice ?
DRA does help...FOR YOUR AREA. The additional stops should be relatively close, but not the same exact area correct? If those stops are on the map they give you, put little dots with the stop numbers on the package in that spot. OR, you can ask for a copy of the map with those stops. Then you can either do those stops along with yours or just do them last. If you're running late to your pickups, send a help message saying you will be late getting to your pickup route. DO NOT CALL!! Messages to dispatch are logged and you have proof you sent it.

As MFE stated, it sounds as if you were not properly trained. Just because you have a map, it doesn't mean you can do the route properly and efficiently.

1 more question.....why are they giving more stops?

Purplepackage

DRA does help...FOR YOUR AREA. The additional stops should be relatively close, but not the same exact area correct? If those stops are on the map they give you, put little dots with the stop numbers on the package in that spot. OR, you can ask for a copy of the map with those stops. Then you can either do those stops along with yours or just do them last. If you're running late to your pickups, send a help message saying you will be late getting to your pickup route. DO NOT CALL!! Messages to dispatch are logged and you have proof you sent it.

As MFE stated, it sounds as if you were not properly trained. Just because you have a map, it doesn't mean you can do the route properly and efficiently.

1 more question.....why are they giving more stops?

Probably the same reason as at my station, new senior decided that we have to many saturday routes filled by guys on OT.

Solution: he cut all extra routes and now the straight time guys are working until almost 7 on saturdays

McFeely

Huge Member
Probably the same reason as at my station, new senior decided that we have to many saturday routes filled by guys on OT.

Solution: he cut all extra routes and now the straight time guys are working until almost 7 on saturdays

They're trying to do the same at my station, but the fact is that we cover a very large area of square miles and the majority (95% or more?) of our SDR freight is P1 and it's due by 12:00 or 13:30.

They are trying to eliminate/absorb routes on a daily basis though. We have many FT drivers that only go out for the P1 cycle, then return back to the station and punch out and get minimums each week.

Gee, I can't wait to see DRA "fix" all of this :rolleyes:

newfedexguy

About a year in, and I still plot my route in maps on my phone. I do it when I come in on the new 20 min break after FO, or while loading my truck. I mostly know where Im going, now so its only the odd resi that I have to use maps for. Its nice because you can plot out how you wanna do it, and hit your bulks, and businesses the way that makes sense. Also I seem to always get something from the veterans, and zeros everyone else just ignores. I just add them in before I leave.

The biggest fight you will have is trying not to catch the negative attitude that some of the people have. especially if you have a :censored2:ty day its contagious. One of the guys always says with a smirk just do the best you can haha. Tomorrow is always another day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
About a year in, and I still plot my route in maps on my phone. I do it when I come in on the new 20 min break after FO, or while loading my truck. I mostly know where Im going, now so its only the odd resi that I have to use maps for. Its nice because you can plot out how you wanna do it, and hit your bulks, and businesses the way that makes sense. Also I seem to always get something from the veterans, and zeros everyone else just ignores. I just add them in before I leave.

The biggest fight you will have is trying not to catch the negative attitude that some of the people have. especially if you have a :censored2:ty day its contagious. One of the guys always says with a smirk just do the best you can haha. Tomorrow is always another day.

You act like the courier job is rocket science, which it definitely is not. Jesus, how hard is it to either read a map, or actually learn where you are geographically without some electronic hand-holding device? The only reason I can see for GPS is if you have a new street or have incorrect information. Plus, I hate seeing so many people use their own phones for FedEx purposes.

It's pretty sad that anyone needs turn-by-turn guidance for anything but something out of the ordinary. AND, GPS is notorious for being wrong, especially in urban areas where your phone can't get a strong signal...like downtown "canyons".

I can hardly wait for the day when some courier enters in a street and ends up 75 miles away because they either keyed it in wrong or there is a similar address in another city that is fairly close.

What a pathetic crop of employees.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
One of the guys always says with a smirk just do the best you can haha. Tomorrow is always another day.
He probably has the smirk because he's thinking, WTH, why is this guy still plotting his route on his phone after a year? You should be able to do it with your eyes closed. I understand looking up a random stop now and then, but there is no way you should still need to plot it on a phone.

MassWineGuy

As someone who has been doing it for a while now but is still new compared to the majority of Express' aging workforce, I can tell you: it will get easier. Just focus on safety and getting to know your regular pickups and oncalls that you get often. As a new courier, you are going to have lates. Give it your best but make safety your number one priority. PUPs are easier than deliveries imo. Like someone said earlier, have those extra deliv stops plotted on your DRA map.

Like this person said. Starting a new route is an anxious, stressful experience. Then, in a week or two, it suddenly makes sense.

You will have lates. If you get hassled, say: "you don't want me to speed, do you?" Mgt cannot say "yes" to that. When I have stops not on my sheet, I look them up on a detailed map for approximate location/distance relative to my other stops. At least then I can roughly group them into the same neighborhoods.

I learned yesterday that if you select and open a pickup on the Powerpad, the clock stops for that stop and you won't be late (assuming you open the stop prior to close time). I don't condone doing this, of course.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He probably has the smirk because he's thinking, WTH, why is this guy still plotting his route on his phone after a year? You should be able to do it with your eyes closed. I understand looking up a random stop now and then, but there is no way you should still need to plot it on a phone.

We had a senior driver who spent the first two months on his new route plotting out his pickup stops.

!Retired!

My guess is not enough bodies for the routes created. Happens at my station all the time.
Th extra routes DRA creates would also have maps. My guess would be extra stops are coming off of another driver.
You act like the courier job is rocket science, which it definitely is not. Jesus, how hard is it to either read a map, or actually learn where you are geographically without some electronic hand-holding device? The only reason I can see for GPS is if you have a new street or have incorrect information. Plus, I hate seeing so many people use their own phones for FedEx purposes.

It's pretty sad that anyone needs turn-by-turn guidance for anything but something out of the ordinary. AND, GPS is notorious for being wrong, especially in urban areas where your phone can't get a strong signal...like downtown "canyons".

I can hardly wait for the day when some courier enters in a street and ends up 75 miles away because they either keyed it in wrong or there is a similar address in another city that is fairly close.

What a pathetic crop of employees.
5188.gif

Purplepackage

They're trying to do the same at my station, but the fact is that we cover a very large area of square miles and the majority (95% or more?) of our SDR freight is P1 and it's due by 12:00 or 13:30.

They are trying to eliminate/absorb routes on a daily basis though. We have many FT drivers that only go out for the P1 cycle, then return back to the station and punch out and get minimums each week.

Gee, I can't wait to see DRA "fix" all of this :rolleyes:

We're in peak vacation season and we have 2 guys out until further notice on unexpected injuries lol the motto of the day is "just go over 14"

Meanwhile they are tying to cut OT on Saturday...fedex

newfedexguy

hhhmm I didnt say i use turn by turn I just said i use maps to plot the stops i get basically the ones i haven't seen before.

I can be put anywhere on 3 the different belts, but I mostly know my belt. The main stays and what not. Since i can be in any 4 or 5 routes any given day it helps to know where your going. even just to look at a map. I would rather use my phone because im under 30 and not scared of technology, instead of flipping through 3 or 4 pages of maps they give you.

Purplepackage

hhhmm I didnt say i use turn by turn I just said i use maps to plot the stops i get basically the ones i haven't seen before.

I can be put anywhere on 3 the different belts, but I mostly know my belt. The main stays and what not. Since i can be in any 4 or 5 routes any given day it helps to know where your going. even just to look at a map. I would rather use my phone because im under 30 and not scared of technology, instead of flipping through 3 or 4 pages of maps they give you.

I started this job with maps basically before you were born depending on how young under 30 you are lol

But I have an iPhone now and you're right if I'm pulling the belt and see an adress I don't know I will google map it, it takes less time and I can look quick and continue what I'm doing

whenIgetthere

I started this job with maps basically before you were born depending on how young under 30 you are lol

But I have an iPhone now and you're right if I'm pulling the belt and see an adress I don't know I will google map it, it takes less time and I can look quick and continue what I'm doing

Not here, reception is terrible inside the building here. So we see the newbies lined up on the side of the road when we leave.

dex 84

Not here, reception is terrible inside the building here. So we see the newbies lined up on the side of the road when we leave.

When you're on wifi you can download an "offline area" for Google maps. Then you can search any address in that area whether or not you have service.

I have terrible service in my building as well.

SmithBarney

Imagine how easy it would be if you actually learned the route... I just started a new route, and plotted on paper maps for a bit, but after a few weeks, you should start learning it. Try testing yourself, see if you can do it... before you know it, you'll load your truck in nearly stop for stop order, and almost never have to use your phone or even a map. The longer you use your crutch(map or phone), the harder it will be. You think you are PROUD now, wait til you can load and run your route without a map, then and only then will you be the MAN(or WOMAN) and believe it or not, you will be faster.

SmithBarney

Ask your manager what to do, and then work as directed. Usually, a few weeks on a route will have you familiar enough with it to feel comfortable. Don't speed, and if you have lates, let management deal with it.

How much "training" did you get on the route?

Also it is your duty to inform your manager every morning that you may have lates, and you need help(setting up or delivering). If you ask for help you've done your part, and have put the onus on your manager to make sure you are helped or trained if needed.