New Courier

Purplepackage

Imagine how easy it would be if you actually learned the route... I just started a new route, and plotted on paper maps for a bit, but after a few weeks, you should start learning it. Try testing yourself, see if you can do it... before you know it, you'll load your truck in nearly stop for stop order, and almost never have to use your phone or even a map. The longer you use your crutch(map or phone), the harder it will be. You think you are PROUD now, wait til you can load and run your route without a map, then and only then will you be the MAN(or WOMAN) and believe it or not, you will be faster.

In no way am I saying don't learn the route, but that's something I feel like I shouldn't have to say. People say this job is easy and anyone can do it but the truth is not everyone can do it because some people just don't have the mind to remember 100s of streets and miles of area

Whats in the Box

I would rather use my phone because im under 30 and not scared of technology, instead of flipping through 3 or 4 pages of maps they give you

Your arrogance sounds you're more afraid of opening a map book and learn something valuable to be a confident swing. Rather keep your phone in your pocket and copy-off your route map pages and plot them with highlighter. You actually DO see the bigger picture of the area. The more your can to learn your areas, the less you are dependent on your phones and increase your confidence on putting any route.

whenIgetthere

In no way am I saying don't learn the route, but that's something I feel like I shouldn't have to say. People say this job is easy and anyone can do it but the truth is not everyone can do it because some people just don't have the mind to remember 100s of streets and miles of area

And as one of our newbie's has shown, absolutely no sense of direction. Her route runs northbound up one side of a main highway. Easy for most to put in stop order, but she spends her entire code 53 plotting the stops on her phone. I gave her a laminated map of her whole route from when I was a swing, but she will not use it, only uses the phone.

Purplepackage

And as one of our newbie's has shown, absolutely no sense of direction. Her route runs northbound up one side of a main highway. Easy for most to put in stop order, but she spends her entire code 53 plotting the stops on her phone. I gave her a laminated map of her whole route from when I was a swing, but she will not use it, only uses the phone.

Now imagine that same courier trying to run a rural route where a lot of the time there's really no good order to run your stops lol

fatboy33

Like this person said. Starting a new route is an anxious, stressful experience. Then, in a week or two, it suddenly makes sense.

You will have lates. If you get hassled, say: "you don't want me to speed, do you?" Mgt cannot say "yes" to that. When I have stops not on my sheet, I look them up on a detailed map for approximate location/distance relative to my other stops. At least then I can roughly group them into the same neighborhoods.

I learned yesterday that if you select and open a pickup on the Powerpad, the clock stops for that stop and you won't be late (assuming you open the stop prior to close time). I don't condone doing this, of course.
Especially when that customer receives his package after 1045am and calls to complain only to find his package shows delivered at 1025.

SmithBarney

Your arrogance sounds you're more afraid of opening a map book and learn something valuable to be a confident swing. Rather keep your phone in your pocket and copy-off your route map pages and plot them with highlighter. You actually DO see the bigger picture of the area. The more your can to learn your areas, the less you are dependent on your phones and increase your confidence on putting any route.

Exactly, sure for a one time route plotting on a phone might be faster... but after a week of scanning a paper map with your eyes, you will look at almost every street, and will start to remember exactly where they are even if you haven't been there yet, and like I said before, soon enough you won't need the map, but if you constantly rely on the GPS or phone, you won't commit as much to memory.

MAKAVELI

Like this person said. Starting a new route is an anxious, stressful experience. Then, in a week or two, it suddenly makes sense.

You will have lates. If you get hassled, say: "you don't want me to speed, do you?" Mgt cannot say "yes" to that. When I have stops not on my sheet, I look them up on a detailed map for approximate location/distance relative to my other stops. At least then I can roughly group them into the same neighborhoods.

I learned yesterday that if you select and open a pickup on the Powerpad, the clock stops for that stop and you won't be late (assuming you open the stop prior to close time). I don't condone doing this, of course.
I didn't suggest closing out that stop. Just opening it.
If your location is going GPS you can get fired for this.