New DOT HOS Interpretation

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
You can work all the hours you want on property you just can't go unless you've had the proper rest and/or reset time. On road means any time spent on a public thoroughfare, so if you are just crossing the street to a lot we own/rent then you are in violation. Shouldn't be any different in any part of the Country but UPS likes to pervert the rules to suit their needs just as we do sometimes.

I used to have a run where I would regularly get 62 hours a week, the last two spent in the yard. Those were nice checks.

MaceFremonti

I'm not a hundred percent sure but if I shift in my tractor in the morning before I go onroad and have it coded as other work/hub shift and then later on look at my DOT log on the IVIS it shows that time as driving time. I have never used the shifting option under combined work though that may be recorded differently I'll have to check in the morning

I have to be careful on that because my run one way to turn around on a good weather day is 4 and a half hours so if I shift on a day with bad weather traffic I might be bumping up against 11 hours total driving time...

Sent using BrownCafe App

over9five

Staff member
These new DOT rules SUCK. Here it is Friday, and I have 2 more hours available than I would have under the old rules.
*^&%^@@**

P

pickup

Today I start early at 1215 along with a driver who also normally starts with me at our regular time.
He worked this past Saturday, his 6th day, from 2am til 5pm. So for him to start at 1215am today he has had only 31:15 hours off and only one 1-5am day. He pointed this out to the feeder mgr who gave him the green light to drive.

This is clearly a violation of the 34 off/ two 1-5am consecutive to reset hours DOT rule.

There's no violation, per se. You don't have to take a 34 hour restart. You just can't work more than your allowed hours on any given day.

40andOut

So as a package car driver I don't usually have to deal with the 14 hr or 10 hour rule...until this year. If I punch in at 8:30 AM, I have to punch out by 10:30 PM... right? Not 11:10 PM because of my 40 min unpaid break, correct? If so, my management team has been bending the 14 hour rule.

Just Lurking

So as a package car driver I don't usually have to deal with the 14 hr or 10 hour rule...until this year. If I punch in at 8:30 AM, I have to punch out by 10:30 PM... right? Not 11:10 PM because of my 40 min unpaid break, correct? If so, my management team has been bending the 14 hour rule.

Yes. It's 14 hours from punch in to punch out.

Day 1 - 830 to 2230

Plus if you punch out exactly 2230, you could not be call ed in early on Day 2 because 2230 plus 10 would put you at 830 for the next day.

OptimusPrime

So the 60 hours isn't set in stone? Several of us drivers had loads out on the PDC and had been punching in early to load our trucks. It's a mess out there. My center manager was aware of this, and I had explained to him that was why my hours were going to be limited on Friday. He just said we would figure it out. Thought I was going to get an 9 hour day. Officially ended up with 8.85 hours left. Punched in at 9:30, so my hours were roughly up at 18:21. A little later with a break. center manager meets me on route, and takes over driving. I sorted the load and even delivered stops when they were multiple adjacent addresses. Wasn't like I was just chilling in the jump seat. I think I punched out around 20:45. Went over 60 by a few hours. Some drivers were met by other drivers who had hours left. Seems a tad sketchy to me.

A

anonymous6

the breaks are no longer counted on your log so you can go 62.50 hrs. however, the other poster is technically correct. you can work after 60 forever as long as you are not driving.

wouldn't surprise me that the company will soon be requiring "forever" employees until they drop dead like worker bees and the queen bee will :censored2: more workers.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I think the confusion arises between when the DOT cares if you are working or driving.

DOT does not want you working (performing any work which includes having to babysit a trailer) during your 1/2 hour mandated rest break during your first 8 hours; any other time given to you by the Employer as a break and/or meal; and during your 10 hours off between shift and 34 hours off if you are resetting.

DOT does not want you driving after 11 hours in a 14/16 hour day, or after 60/70 hours in a 7/8 day period without a 34 hour reset.

So as in some of the above examples, if the center manager or someone else takes over driving you are still working (not resting) but cannot drive again until the required rest periods are met. You can still work all you want you just can't legally drive.