New driver training

oldngray

nowhere special
Gumby_Flexible_Green_Babydoll2_POP.jpg

UPSGUY72

I was hired as a part time call in driver(cover) I passed the school and came back to the center to do my 30. My trainer would not let me drive much, refused to allow me to go out on my own and i was fired after 8 days. I did not have any accidents or injuries, he hit tree branches close enough to whip me in my face, he broke every speed limit, yet he told me that I was going to break a mirror and that I was unsafe.

Again very vague in your description of what really happen. We don't care if the SUP hit tree branch or might have gone above the speed limit. We want to know what your did to get fired. I take it that being fired for "not being where you needed to be". Means that you showed no improvement during those 8 days. In other words after 8 days the SUP came to the conclusion that you where accident waiting to happen if they let you go out by yourself. I'm surprised you made it that long.

Most new driver get 2 or 3 days of "training". Basically the SUP will drive the route the first day or half of day and let you get used to the DIAD, delivery location and show you a pace at which you need to work at. The second day usually you start doing everything yourself. The SUP might sort the back of your car while you deliver packages or just shadow you the whole day and let you do it yourself. The third day they usually let you leave the building by yourself and let you deliver you NDAs and tell you they will meet you at a specific location then they ride with you for part of the day ask you if you have any question and then let you finish the day by yourself.

Remember being a package car driver isn't for everyone no matter how bad you want to be one you either have it or you don't. Not everyone does.

Feels weird reading the bringing in 25 drivers and people not knowing how this UPS prison slavery works....Our center in TN run about 25-30 routes outside peak. You're lucky to see driving school with less than 4yrs seniority. Full time takes at least 8yrs....by the time you sign the paper for driving school we all know that Sups don't care about anything but numbers...we know what to do for the most part bc we have talked and loaded drivers for years....weather or not you're capable of being a driver is sorted out before they even send you. If you're an accident waiting to happen, you will know before you go to driving school and most likely opt out lol. It's crazy to see these kids sent out with no experience with the company at all.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Feels weird reading the bringing in 25 drivers and people not knowing how this UPS prison slavery works....Our center in TN run about 25-30 routes outside peak. You're lucky to see driving school with less than 4yrs seniority. Full time takes at least 8yrs....by the time you sign the paper for driving school we all know that Sups don't care about anything but numbers...we know what to do for the most part bc we have talked and loaded drivers for years....weather or not you're capable of being a driver is sorted out before they even send you. If you're an accident waiting to happen, you will know before you go to driving school and most likely opt out lol. It's crazy to see these kids sent out with no experience with the company at all.

What a stupid comment.

guyinthebrownbox

My center has brought on 25 new drivers this year and has DQ'd 23 of them. We will be hurting big time when the poop hits the fan this Fall. I think it is long past the time to relax their standards a bit and give these guys & gals a chance.

I have to disagree with this some. 23 out of 25 people being DQed definitely presents a problem. I agree that UPS should revise it's training methods that's for sure. However, I qualified for package just the same as the next guy. There is a reason why we get paid what we do and also the reason some customers (and competitors) consider us elite, even if we don't

Navy SEALs(and other special ops) don't drop their standards because only 10 passed out of a class of a few hundred candidates

Sent using BrownCafe App

guyinthebrownbox

I wasn't trying to compare the two jobs but in fact you backed my view up even more

If all this job involves is "driving a truck and carrying a package up to someone's front door" then why would UPS even consider dropping the standards to qualify is all I'm saying. Relax good sir

Obviously qualifying to be a Navy SEAL is harder than package car.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Sent using BrownCafe App
Swallow my preload....creative....i'm laughing!!!! ;)

Indecisi0n

Not only does this job require skill (when getting done at a good time) but it's also part soap opera with the drama. If you are busting your ass and doing really well and a manager doesn't like you then they turn the route to a unscratchable number and DQ the guy. I have seen it happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Navy SEALs(and other special ops) don't drop their standards because only 10 passed out of a class of a few hundred candidates.

I don't know if this applies to the elite forces but I do know that the military as a whole has had to revise (lower) their standards due to the number of enlistees who were unable to meet the previous ones.

By The Book

I think ups needs to worry more about a drivers development than a drivers ability to scratch in 30 days. The training program needs to be redone. The way it is now there will be a high rate of guys washing out. In 6 months most of these guy would be scratch drivers or better if they trained them properly . I agree this jobs not for everyone but their timetable to develop a new driver is unreasonable. If their training program was fair new hires would be able to take their breaks and full lunch during the 30 day probation period. Of all things these guys need is time to catch their breath and collect their thoughts during this time.

PT Car Washer

Interesting. I wonder if it's a sign of a soft generation

Sent using BrownCafe App
No, I believe it is a sign of young guys not wanting to get blown up in Iraq or Afghanistan. The Army (not sure about the other branches) lowered the education levels to enlist. A high school diploma was required but I think that can be waived if you score high enough on initial testing.