New driver, worried about getting fired

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Good advice but it can be tough for low seniority/inexperienced cover drivers to follow. Until you know your way around a route, it's hard to judge whether you'll be able to make service without help. But yes, definitely don't give away resi stops unless instructed.

I err on the side of putting the ball in mgmt's court and clarify that I need help making service. A few weeks back a sup questioned me about taking too long transferring pkgs to a driver they sent to help me. I had sent the sup pictures of my load (one of those days where the cargo and bulkhead doors were jammed until the bulk came off). I just smiled and reminded him of those photos and that I had asked for business help. Giving away my 8000 shelf would have been useless, and given the way the route is dispatched (lots of businesses tossed in with resis on the back half), I had to sort the truck to ensure I got the help I requested. All he could say was, "it seems like you could've done it more quickly." Okay boss, anything else, or may I go ahead and verify my air?

As for taking breaks as a low seniority cover driver, e.g., working as assigned, not bidding coverage. Let's say I know the route is an s-show, e.g., most days the only way a driver will take lunch before 5p is by running-gunning or getting business/pickup help. Or by breaking trace several times and by-passing so many odd resis that doubling back for them will make it a 14 hr day. I don't run and gun and I know our breaks (and the nine five list) are the best leverage we have against over-dispatching. But when I don't know if I'll be on the route tomorrow, I admit, I usually don't invest the painful effort to try to improve it. I have no idea whether I'll get the chance to see it through anyway. While I'm comfortable working after dark -- at least in areas I know -- I still prefer and feel safer working in the daylight.

I know almost every route in my building that has more than a handful of pickups is set up so that it's pretty much straight from business to pick ups. Meaning there's no time for lunch without risking service failures. If the drivers on those routes had stuck to their guns, and taken their lunches when they should have as the routes grew, the dispatchers would have been forced to keep adjusting and adding routes to work around lunches. Since those drivers won't do what needs to be done, someone needs to set an example.

I get that if it's a route you're not familiar with, you want to keep moving until you have it figured out. Once you do, though, it's time to

VDAHi_.gif

ACmoses

their numbers are their numbers. either you are gonna get fat paychecks or they will adjust dispatch. do what you need to do to make sure you can do this for 20+ more years
And I.E. is such a joke. Industrial engineers? Really? Where do they get their credentials? The back of a cereal box? Imaginary engineers is their true title.

Whither

Scofflaw
I know almost every route in my building that has more than a handful of pickups is set up so that it's pretty much straight from business to pick ups. Meaning there's no time for lunch without risking service failures. If the drivers on those routes had stuck to their guns, and taken their lunches when they should have as the routes grew, the dispatchers would have been forced to keep adjusting and adding routes to work around lunches. Since those drivers won't do what needs to be done, someone needs to set an example.

I get that if it's a route you're not familiar with, you want to keep moving until you have it figured out. Once you do, though, it's time to

View attachment 271438

You're correct, I know. Just, gotdamn, another thankless task for a cover driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He did well enough to qualify, and he's confusing Orion estimates with over/under. So he might well be making his numbers and stressing over nothing. It's one thing to accept help for service, I admit that. Otherwise, if he is not getting the hours he needs, he should protect the work assigned to him, and not give it away.

Hours he needs? I seem to recall that we are guaranteed 8 whenever we punch in. How many more hours does one need?

Whither

Scofflaw
I thank you. I know your efforts won't make much of an impact unless you can get the bid drivers on board as well. Spread the word.

I've known my steward for years prior to getting hired. I'll chat with him soon and see what we can do to get drivers on the same page. I expect it's gonna be a challenge haha.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The Orion solution time that you are supposed to meet is a false number.
There is no way that Orion can predict the variables that a driver must navigate during the day.
I have been on my route for nearly 5 years and know it inside and out and there are days I still cannot meet the return to building time.
Total farce....
Don’t sweat it