New Female Feeder Driver Needs Some Advice

raceanoncr

are you kidding me? it was a mistake coming here for advice.

No, I'm NOT kidding. You posted the question July 31, hung around for about a page, didn't even read (evidently) my earlier post, number 112, giving advice, then, seemingly disappear. Welcome back.

Last edited:
B

BrownCubster

No, I'm NOT kidding. You posted the question July 31, hung around for about a page, didn't even read (evidently) my earlier post, number 112, giving advice, then, seemingly disappear. Welcome back.
I'm sorry that I did not respond to your post. I read it. I went away when this thread turned into a joke.

B

BrownCubster

Just my experience HERE or surrounding centers/hubs. The first female feeder driver here had to fight for that. Had to make it a union issue before company would capitulate. That was about '71 or so. She, though, was one of the BEST drivers. BEST?

Never asked for a quarter. Never flinched in bad weather. Never balked at hooking up her own set. Never made waves. Always helped other drivers hook up when available. I could go on and on about her.

Others since? What pathetic excuses for workers. I'm sure the company regretted every moment since they were hired. In many cases, we did too. "Anxiety" issues driving in bad weather. Refusing to go out in some cases. Calling in "sick" more than any other drivers we have had. Claiming "The dolly is at a slant, I can't lift it on the trailer". ETC, ETC. One female driver, in particular, has had so many "incidents", accidents, confrontations, what have you, that, as a steward, I just told the manager that so many of our drivers were predictable, in that you could count on them have some kinda of "problem" at regular time intervals, and she was one. I was not proven wrong.

BUT, in defense of the gender, we have had some, sadly from other centers, that were outstanding, like the aforementioned driver that was groundbreaking at my hub. They were the first to help YOU with hooking up, going out of the way to help. I fondly remember them as fellow drivers.

On the OTHER hand....WE, that is, the males that were "star-struck" when an attractive female driver arrived on the lot, could not be separated with a chisel around their trailers. All work would come to a halt! That is no joke! So, could it be that WE, the males, are some of the problem? Well, here, again, I said HERE, yes, I can say that. Then they would complain about the female drivers behind their back.

To the OP, don't worry what others think. Just do the job you were trained for. Don't ask for any favors, don't give any favors. You WILL be respected, if you do.
I reread your post. Thank you for the advice. especially the last sentence. That sounds good to me.