New FMCSA rules July 1st 2013

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Curious about other feeder divisions. Here, they are instructing us, that we need to take our break by 7 hours and 25 minutes. Now, if you read the DOT HOS rules, all it says is that if you work 8 hours, you must pull over immediately and take your 30 minutes. We read nothing about taking it at the 7:25 mark. I know it doesn't sound like a whole lot of time: 35 minutes, but driving in the middle of the night...it can mean quite a bit. Ask any night-time feeder driver.

Are any other of you feeder drivers getting the 7:25 meal issues? BTW, I drive around 450 miles a night, and I'm not a mileage guy.

Curious about other feeder divisions. Here, they are instructing us, that we need to take our break by 7 hours and 25 minutes. Now, if you read the DOT HOS rules, all it says is that if you work 8 hours, you must pull over immediately and take your 30 minutes. We read nothing about taking it at the 7:25 mark. I know it doesn't sound like a whole lot of time: 35 minutes, but driving in the middle of the night...it can mean quite a bit. Ask any night-time feeder driver.

Are any other of you feeder drivers getting the 7:25 meal issues? BTW, I drive around 450 miles a night, and I'm not a mileage guy.

Nope. We were told that by 7.59 we had to begin a 30 minute minimum break. Looks like they're leaning towards you completing yours by the 8th hour.

over9five

Staff member

Doesn't affect us here as we have to contractually take a one hour lunch between our 4th and 5th hour. Can you guys take your lunch whenever you want?

over9five

Staff member
Doesn't affect us here as we have to contractually take a one hour lunch between our 4th and 5th hour. Can you guys take your lunch whenever you want?

Wanted to add that that would make me hit 8 hours (after lunch) 1 hour before my 14. Hasn't happened yet, and I've heard nothing about having to take a 30 minute break at that point. Should be interesting if I'm more than 1/2 hour away, that would put me over 14 and give me tomorrow off.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Curious about other feeder divisions. Here, they are instructing us, that we need to take our break by 7 hours and 25 minutes. Now, if you read the DOT HOS rules, all it says is that if you work 8 hours, you must pull over immediately and take your 30 minutes. We read nothing about taking it at the 7:25 mark. I know it doesn't sound like a whole lot of time: 35 minutes, but driving in the middle of the night...it can mean quite a bit. Ask any night-time feeder driver. Are any other of you feeder drivers getting the 7:25 meal issues? BTW, I drive around 450 miles a night, and I'm not a mileage guy.

Our FDT is flashing a message at about 7:25 then a red message at 7:45 & 7:59 first warning that you must take a rest period before driving at 8 hours & then that you have reached 8 hours and cannot drive without the rest. It does this as you are on Other Work taking the rest, and as soon as you come off it goes back to normal. So it seems UPS IE has interpreted it as you can take the rest as late as 7:59 and still be compliant when you go back on road. So far I haven't heard about anyone being talked to for not taking it or taking it too late. I'm sure this is just a matter of adjusting, and really there is no reason that we couldn't have addressed all this earlier, as the rule went into effect December 27, 2011 they just didn't have to comply until last Monday.

I see what you mean about the time being an issue at night. I'm sure everyone has their own preferred way of doing their run so they feel alert all night. We have long days the first day of your run, so it's always a bear compared to the rest of the week. It's nothing to drive 8 or more on those days before you take your break because you are getting back into the routine. Somedays the Rockstar comes out early...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Our agreement says between the 3RD and 6TH hour, but normally we don't get a lot of flack about taking it outside of this window. Even now, with the new rules, we are instructed to take our meal no later than 7HRS 25 min after starting. At night, how tired I got was when I took my meal. It still does, but now it just needs to be a little bit sooner. Obviously, the 7:25 mark is something our district has put in place on their own. Big surprise.

QKRSTKR

Do the two hours I sleep everyday at turn around while waiting for the other meet driver count as break time...???!!!!...:-)
No. You have to be released from all responsibility of your duties. I to have a layover @ turn around. I use local sort. Usually I go on lunch as soon as I get there, then sort.During peak I'll ask management if I can go on sort first and put meal in second as last half hour. If not, I may have problems during peak as sometimes I'm on lunch right around 4 hours.

outta hours

I get the red message on my IVIS approaching my 8th hour,even after I have already taken a 30 min. break. It must be built into the system now. Looks like no more writing off meal.

iruhnman630

All the hype and strict compliance is being expected for this new rule, and yet funny enough come December that other '11 hour' rule won't apply to package car drivers.

Go figure.

over9five

Staff member
Got a message 7 hours 45 minutes after my lunch. Apparently, we are required to take another 30 minute break for any 8 hour period (not just the first). I inbounded before the break was due so I didn't have to take it - wasn't going onroad again.

Last edited:
Our PCM today reiterated that any consecutive 8 hours requires a min 30 min break. They even went so far as to have little bar charts for the hard of learning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All the hype and strict compliance is being expected for this new rule, and yet funny enough come December that other '11 hour' rule won't apply to package car drivers.

Go figure.

The 11 hour rule is 11 hours of ACTUAL DRIVING TIME. Very very very few routes ever have to worry about this. Even less now with the half hour break.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Never could split our lunches up. We've had 3 choices for as long as I can remember. 30, 60, or 120. Why you would take 120 is beyond me...maybe for a doctors or dentist appt. or something. We had crazy lunch skippers though that'll run and deliver the stuff they could DR and keep the PAL labels and enter them later. Impossible to do now with the GPS target.

MaceFremonti

I get close to 11 driving a few times a week...4 3/4 to 5 hours to T/A...bad weather, accident etc and I get close...couple of 10.98s recently...then again I'm still a rookie Feeder Driver...maybe I just drive slow....:-)

over9five

Staff member
I get close to 11 driving a few times a week...4 3/4 to 5 hours to T/A...bad weather, accident etc and I get close...couple of 10.98s recently...then again I'm still a rookie Feeder Driver...maybe I just drive slow....:-)

How do you know when you're close to 11? Does the IVIS warn you?