New Guy Intro

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You're both wrong.
He's at 2 weeks of CRR school at a hotel that doesn't have internet.
I just hope he saves his food stipend for dinner. Oh yeah baby, it was big Sapporo and Benny Hannah's every night for me.:wink2:

Uh, courier school is only 1 week now.

whenIgetthere

Wow, we had to go to corporate and it's only 29 miles away. I want some more mileage pay since it's up to .50 cents a mile now! Had to log 6 miles driving to a customer location in my own vehicle and that was an easy $3...lol Too bad it cost me $3.50 in gas!

I had to drag myself, get this, three miles to corporate from the station. Man, that was stressful!!! What a boring week that was, though. When I left my previous job, I started here the following day doing three 12 hours days on the computer before I could attend CRR school. Is it two weeks now? Job was a little harder to learn on the super tracker than the putz pad, glad I didn't have to sheet all my packages like ya'll had to do back in the day!!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I had it for 2 weeks 4.5 yrs. ago. They put us all up in a pretty decent hotel. I had to drive about 50 miles one way to get there for the week.

Cactus

We'll see if Steve comes back here after courier school.

Either he'll be back to say how much it sucks compared to the pretty picture the managers painted for him or he won't be back at all.

In either scenario can you blame him?

Cactus

Uh, nope, it's 2 weeks again.....has been for a few years now. Guess they couldn't squeeze it all in one week anymore. The IT modules are done in class now rather than before you go.

That explains it. Thanks for the clarification.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That explains it. Thanks for the clarification.

Courier College needs to be 3 weeks minimum. They should also ride with several competent couriers in order to learn how it's really done, as opposed to following training to the letter. If someone does it exactly by the book, they'll never succeed on-road in the real world.

Cactus

Courier College needs to be 3 weeks minimum. They should also ride with several competent couriers in order to learn how it's really done, as opposed to following training to the letter. If someone does it exactly by the book, they'll never succeed on-road in the real world.

Those by the book instructions for couriers were written by clowns who'd never been out on the road or handled any packages. Guaranteed.

I feel sorry for these newbies fresh out of courier classes and the certainty of disappointment and frustruation that's gonna greet them on day one. It was bad enough 20 years ago and I almost can't bear to think of what it's like to be a newbie now. No wonder why the turnover rate is as high as it is.

vantexan

Those by the book instructions for couriers were written by clowns who'd never been out on the road or handled any packages. Guaranteed.

I feel sorry for these newbies fresh out of courier classes and the certainty of disappointment and frustruation that's gonna greet them on day one. It was bad enough 20 years ago and I almost can't bear to think of what it's like to be a newbie now. No wonder why the turnover rate is as high as it is.

I have to disagree. With the powerpad and ROADS courier work is easier than ever. We used to have to write down everything, sign off on pupped airbills, write URSA codes with a marker, and handle alot more box freight than today. Before SO service we did more P1's too. And as much as some here hate Sprinters, they're still easier to work out of than Econolines. And powerpads are great for keeping up with pups. Used to have to run back to truck to check DADS unit. I'll take what we have now as far as the work goes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have to disagree. With the powerpad and ROADS courier work is easier than ever. We used to have to write down everything, sign off on pupped airbills, write URSA codes with a marker, and handle alot more box freight than today. Before SO service we did more P1's too. And as much as some here hate Sprinters, they're still easier to work out of than Econolines. And powerpads are great for keeping up with pups. Used to have to run back to truck to check DADS unit. I'll take what we have now as far as the work goes.

I remember those days too, but you can only get so much freight into an Econoline. I still think that people that go by the book are going to have a hard time making SPH.

Cactus

ROADS isn't perfect and it's flawed in many ways. Also the SPH expectations are much higher than years ago and so is the amount of BS that we deal with on a daily basis. Late freight, later start times (thanks to our brilliant engineers) and elimination of routes which gives us all more work to do and with certainly much less help. So in other words it's very common to leave the building over capacity. How long do you think these newbies are gonna stick around with all this going on? And those Sprinters you talk so highly of are not the most reliable vehicles ever built. I hear the vehicle maintenace guys cursing those things all the time and they handle like crap in the snow.

No courier work is not the piece of cake you make it out to be it's just we have a different variation of crap to deal with than 20 years ago.

vantexan

No courier work is not the piece of cake you make it out to be it's just we have a different variation of crap to deal with than 20 years ago.

Piece of cake? Who said that? As far as ROADS goes, a newhire doesn't have to learn who gets what street these days. Just looks at a number. The biggest single reason IMO that newhires quit is that they come in thinking they're going to make good money right away. When they find out this is a hump job that doesn't pay well considering what's expected, they quit ASAP.

We look back on the good old days with fondness, thinking it was a different company then. But I've come to believe that back then Fred was building a brand. He needed guys who looked like college athletes representing him to customers. He needed hot looking girl couriers. He needed people who were excited about their future who oozed confidence and professionalism. Customers remember and like that guy, not the tired, angry UPS guy. Amazing how things have turned around. It's about pay and benefits. If you push people to be ever more productive without paying them, you lose good employees and can't attract that type anymore. The new people I've seen for some time now just don't compare, on average, with the group from 20 years ago. Which is why I say the job is easier today. It would have to be considering the capabilities of the average newhire, with apologies to those who do come in every so often who are a cut above.

vantexan

That's what you're implying. Right?

Easier, yes. Piece of cake, no. Some here always spin things in a positive light. Some always to the negative. I'm trying to be honest although I may get it wrong. If you believe that everything about FedEx is bad then you are going to get irritated by me. Sorry in advance!

Cactus

Easier, yes. Piece of cake, no. Some here always spin things in a positive light. Some always to the negative. I'm trying to be honest although I may get it wrong. If you believe that everything about FedEx is bad then you are going to get irritated by me. Sorry in advance!

If you're happy with your job at FedEx, then great.

But obviously I see things in a different light than you so do many others and we can agree to disagree which I have no problem with that. However many of us see a job that could be so much better and employee friendly and it's very frustrating that Fred and his cronies have chosen a "WalMart Way" of running the show.

vantexan

If you're happy with your job at FedEx, then great.

But obviously I see things in a different light than you so do many others and we can agree to disagree which I have no problem with that. However many of us see a job that could be so much better and employee friendly and it's very frustrating that Fred and his cronies have chosen a "WalMart Way" of running the show.

The problem is that if I say anything positive you attack it. Have you not noticed I've been negative too? But apparently it has to be all or nothing or else I'm not as committed to the cause as you are. I do make more than people at Walmart and McDonalds, have better benefits too so that's a positive. I'm also expected to work harder in a more complicated job than most at those companies, and I'm not getting nearly as good a deal as senior couriers get, let alone what UPS gets. That's a negative. A big negative. And it's an attempt to be as honest as possible. FedEx doesn't owe me a living, but they shouldn't take me on and then lie to and exploit me. Guess what? They apparently agree, because now they are just telling me this is what you get, take it or leave it. With enough Congressmen in their back pocket to make sure it stays that way. All the rage and fist shaking apparently won't change that, and I'm now planning my life around what I am getting. We should have a company that honestly rewards our efforts, or at least a union that forces them to. We've got neither, and nothing I'm seeing here is going to change that anytime soon. If it makes you feel better to snarl and talk about acid in eyes, etc have at it. Waste of time IMO but it's your dime.

Cactus

The problem is that if I say anything positive you attack it. Have you not noticed I've been negative too? But apparently it has to be all or nothing or else I'm not as committed to the cause as you are. I do make more than people at Walmart and McDonalds, have better benefits too so that's a positive. I'm also expected to work harder in a more complicated job than most at those companies, and I'm not getting nearly as good a deal as senior couriers get, let alone what UPS gets. That's a negative. A big negative. And it's an attempt to be as honest as possible. FedEx doesn't owe me a living, but they shouldn't take me on and then lie to and exploit me. Guess what? They apparently agree, because now they are just telling me this is what you get, take it or leave it. With enough Congressmen in their back pocket to make sure it stays that way. All the rage and fist shaking apparently won't change that, and I'm now planning my life around what I am getting. We should have a company that honestly rewards our efforts, or at least a union that forces them to. We've got neither, and nothing I'm seeing here is going to change that anytime soon. If it makes you feel better to snarl and talk about acid in eyes, etc have at it. Waste of time IMO but it's your dime.

Seems to me every time Fred throws you a bone, you're satisfied. Apparently I've got my standards set a bit higher as I think we're worth a whole lot more to this operation 'cause without experienced couriers where would this company be?

And would you quit harping with this "acid in the eyes" thing? (equivalant of "being thrown under the bus" but with different phrasology) Yeah I said it over a month ago and have forgotten about it but you just can't let go can you? :sad-little:

vantexan

Seems to me every time Fred throws you a bone, you're satisfied. Apparently I've got my standards set a bit higher as I think we're worth a whole lot more to this operation 'cause without experienced couriers where would this company be?

And would you quit harping with this "acid in the eyes" thing? (equivalant of "being thrown under the bus" but with different phrasology) Yeah I said it over a month ago and have forgotten about it but you just can't let go can you? :sad-little:

What bone have I been thrown that has me all satisfied? As far as letting anything go, anything less than screaming bloody murder is a sign to you that one isn't sufficiently angry enough.

bbsam

Staff member
So a small number of those "sufficiently angry enough" some on here spewing all things negative about Fedex and expect something to happen? I'll be a believer as soon as I start hearing about local stations taking real action.