New Here - STarting UPS in less then a week -Any advice welcome

Crissco

Im Chris, 24 years old, starting at UPS as a part time package handler next monday.

If any of you had to choose one piece of advice to give me for the future or now in general to work my way up, please feel free.

Chris

curiousbrain

Im Chris, 24 years old, starting at UPS as a part time package handler next monday.

If any of you had to choose one piece of advice to give me for the future or now in general to work my way up, please feel free.

Chris

One piece of advice in general: I'll give you two - work up the belt (seriously, work up the belt); and put the slap/PAL on the end of the box. These two tips will help you never fall behind, and catch misloads. If you can manage those two feats, no supervisor or manager can "really" give you crap about anything.

To work your way up: Depends on your location; some places they hire based on incompetency, other places hire based on competency. You will see for yourself which area you are in.

edit: Oh. and Good luck; figure out why you are working at UPS as a part timer before the first week is up; that is the only reason you will stay, probably.

curiousbrain

Come in, do your job, do it to the best of your ability, punch out, go home.

On a scale of 1 to 10, some folks' ability is 2, others are 10. There is a better answer here than "do it to the best of your ability"; I am bad at plumbing, so I don't go around performing plumbing tasks.

Does the same principle apply to "package handling"?

Crissco

Thanks guys for your advice...Im either looking to go coprate for marketing or a driver in the end.

My friend told me ask for the sort list to become a sorter right away...Good or bad advice? And how do I work my way up to a supervisor?

royv

Don't eat too much before your shift...I can't tell you how many employees puke because they aren't use to the physical labor. It takes a few weeks to build up your body to manage the labor.

DS

Fenderbender
Thanks guys for your advice...Im either looking to go coprate for marketing or a driver in the end.

My friend told me ask for the sort list to become a sorter right away...Good or bad advice? And how do I work my way up to a supervisor?

Buddy,run away...nobody has told you the truth about the new UPS.

You will never make it to corporate,even if you learn how to spell it.

See if Google is hiring,or consider being a florist or an enbalmer.
jmo

Crissco

Buddy,run away...nobody has told you the truth about the new UPS.

You will never make it to corporate,even if you learn how to spell it.

See if Google is hiring,or consider being a florist or an enbalmer.
jmo

Whats your reason for that?