New Hire Absenteeism

nWo

Since the Teamsters have decided they don't deserve healthcare for 9 months maybe they have to work 12 hours a day in an abandoned coal mine to afford health insurance for their orphan nun special needs children.

542thruNthru

Since the Teamsters have decided they don't deserve healthcare for 9 months maybe they have to work 12 hours a day in an abandoned coal mine to afford health insurance for their orphan nun special needs children.
giphy-20.gif

Phraust

Of course they have a policy, they observe the behavior and patterns for their first 69 working days(or however long the probationary period is since I'm honestly not sure where that duration is set, pretty sure it's at the state level?) and if they mess up too much in that time they'll no longer be employed by UPS. Depending on the situation in your location it's possible they won't wait till the last minute but even when staffing was 'good' in my building it has always been their policy to wait unless a truly serious issue occurs(Cardinal Sin level), though lately the current center manager has been following standard progressive discipline for even new hires and having a steward on hand as witness, likely as a reminder to the entire workforce that things like attendance are taken seriously.

EmpireUPS909

Trailer sweep is a cake walk
Does UPS have a policy for new hires? I see so many new hires come in late or not show up. Do they overlook because they can't fill the jobs?
I started with a crew of 8 and half show up late or don't come in. Screws it up for us when people are not responsible. What's the point of a probation period then?

Phraust

What's the point of a probation period then?
Well the running joke has always been a smart employee knows to bust their ass till they're protected and then show their true colors, sadly it's not that funny a joke when that's really how it goes and you're suddenly stuck with a bunch of people that just don't care. Thankfully though most aren't that smart and they'll rack up enough tardies, absences and/or NoCalls early on the company won't want to keep them around, whether or not this is better really depends on your operation though.

DOK

Does UPS have a policy for new hires? I see so many new hires come in late or not show up. Do they overlook because they can't fill the jobs?
Yes in our building it is overlooked. They can’t afford to have them quit here, newbies get what they want 3-4 day weeks, time off for vacation when they have no vacation days etc.

quad decade guy

We have guys with 20+ years that have 2-3 occurrences a week. Wouldn't worry about it.
2-3 a week unscheduled no shows? Really?

How do you know this exactly? And mgt. takes it? BS.

I'd bet at least around here.....you have even one no call/no show....you would be fired....especially causing whole loads to be missed. We had some one take extra time on road causing missed loads and they were fired....immediately.

Wouldn't worry.......? Really? IT HAS NEVER BEEN LIKE THAT HERE. Never. EVER.

nWo

2-3 a week unscheduled no shows? Really?

How do you know this exactly? And mgt. takes it? BS.

I'd bet at least around here.....you have even one no call/no show....you would be fired....especially causing whole loads to be missed. We had some one take extra time on road causing missed loads and they were fired....immediately.

Wouldn't worry.......? Really? IT HAS NEVER BEEN LIKE THAT HERE. Never. EVER.

Pretty sure you're going to need more that 1 ncns to get canned. Progressive discipline and what not. But what I mean if someone has attendance issues that's their business not mine. Maybe they will get canned for it. Maybe they won't. I have my own stuff to worry about. Not going to stress about someone else's attendance.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Pretty sure you're going to need more that 1 ncns to get canned. Progressive discipline and what not. But what I mean if someone has attendance issues that's their business not mine. Maybe they will get canned for it. Maybe they won't. I have my own stuff to worry about. Not going to stress about someone else's attendance.
And that’s
4Lyfe
🐺

wilberforce15

If more places stuck to that...

We wouldn't see a lot of the issues we see stemming from lazyness
Sure they'd have issues.

Nobody would work there.

UPS still acts like it's the best or only place to work, and it's not even a good one now. New hires don't come in and don't care because it's a really crappy job that they shouldn't care about.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Sure they'd have issues.

Nobody would work there.

UPS still acts like it's the best or only place to work, and it's not even a good one now. New hires don't come in and don't care because it's a really crappy job that they shouldn't care about.
Standards...

From Carol on down to the seasonals...

Need to be followed.

I mean..

If we want to be technical...

They preached it was the reason ups is what it is today.

But what do I know other than how to count by 45s.

wilberforce15

Standards...

From Carol on down to the seasonals...

Need to be followed.

I mean..

If we want to be technical...

They preached it was the reason ups is what it is today.

But what do I know other than how to count by 45s.
You don't know much.

Enforcing those standards works when the job is desirable. Employees will rise to the occasion to keep the job.

But when the job sucks? High standards or enforcement just means that they quit.

Walmart is a better job for the average new hire. If you enforce something, they just leave. And you can't blame them. The job sucks and isn't worth the trouble.

nWo

This is what happens. Management sends a warning letter. Dudes attendance approves for a few months. Then he falls back to his old ways. Management sends another warning letter. Cycle repeats until retirement. Either that or the guy files for FMLA.

Over70irregs

Cover yourself. Keep in mind all the times you were screwed on 9.5, 8.0 days, bad dispatching, force ins, 70hr weeks, No initial covid protections, ignored delivery help, various a-hole lists, DIAD board silence.... Don’t get me rolling.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You don't know much.

Enforcing those standards works when the job is desirable. Employees will rise to the occasion to keep the job.

But when the job sucks? High standards or enforcement just means that they quit.

Walmart is a better job for the average new hire. If you enforce something, they just leave. And you can't blame them. The job sucks and isn't worth the trouble.
You sound like the loser type...

Hope that helped