New Hire offered PT supervisor position, thoughts?

automaticP1300

Well hello UPSers.....My first post here on Browncafe, but I've been a longtime spectator. I've seen these threads so many times about PT supervision and I can't wait to get my two cents in on this one. I am one of the lucky few that have returned from the dead (meaning I entered PT supervision and am now a full time driver, with no intention of returning to management).
Themartino, my advice to you is to STAY as a loader and leave the management idea alone. I won't get into every reason, as I'm sure you could find every reason not to a thousand times over in here. But the best thing you could do is be patient. Keep your eyes and ears open for bid lists for driver positions. I'm not sure how big of a center or hub you work in, sounds pretty big with the shortages you speak of, but the amount of time it can take to become a driver varies greatly. I started at UPS in 6/03, went into PT sup 1/04, and began driving in 11/05. A very, VERY lucky occurence for me, and believe me, I count my blessings everyday. Even the days when I'm out delivereing at 8:30pm with 175 stops. These worst days of driving are better than the best days of part time supervision. So work your shift, work another PT job, and keep that goal of driving in your mind. It will be worth it, even if it takes you a couple of years. I hope this is some sensible advice for what I suspect is someone who is just like I was three years ago. Problem is, I didn't listen to my senior employees who warned me.

Hope it sheds some light....

K

kenbob

I was in a similar situation some 29 years ago. I was somewhat flattered but I chose to sleep on it for a few days and my heart told me to wait until I became familiar with the company myself. I have been a full-time driver for 28 years and have no regrets. You may choose to go into mgmnt. and be darn good at it. Follow your heart but give it some time.

tieguy

Banned
Well hello UPSers.....My first post here on Browncafe, but I've been a longtime spectator. I've seen these threads so many times about PT supervision and I can't wait to get my two cents in on this one. I am one of the lucky few that have returned from the dead (meaning I entered PT supervision and am now a full time driver, with no intention of returning to management).
Themartino, my advice to you is to STAY as a loader and leave the management idea alone. .

The problem with this type of advice is you do not know martino. You only know that the job was not for you. If management is right for Martinos career goals and Martino is right for management then he should pursue. If not then he should not.

If managment is right for you then it can be a very rewarding job. I enjoy coming to work and dealing with the drivers. I enjoy sharing and interacting with them. I enjoy people as a whole. I have no problem asking people to help me achieve the business goals and most drivers have no problem doing so. I appreciate the fact that a driver can trust me enough to pull me to the side and tell me whats on their minds. I appreciate the fact that these union drivers are every bit as concerned about the direction of the company as I am.

But if management is not your cup of tea then you will dwell on the negatives of the job and hate every minute.