New hire question

Vict

Hired three weeks ago - "permanent part-time package handler" twilight schedule. Had a great first week - no complaints from my supervisor - now I haven't been on the schedule for two weeks. Is this typical? I thought this would be a good way to work through college but I can't afford no work at all couple of weeks a month. Any thoughts?

#1angelfan

have you only worked one week ? if you have i have never heard of that. if they hired you you should be working everyday. i would ask monday if you are going to work everyday.

Vict

Yes, I was hired, reported when told, worked the first week and then was told to call in the following week. I did and found I wasn't scheduled - since then when I call I only get voice mail for both my supervisor and HR. Last Friday evening I finally went in - couldn't locate my supervisor and another supervisor said they would leave a note on his desk to call me. I guess I'll just go back in on Monday and try to find the guy again and get clear on whats up.

lost

Wow, that is unusual. Normally, once they hire you you had better think twice if you are thinking about not going in. I have never heard of an employee not being put on the schedule.

Vict

VTBrown thanks for the input. I think you're correct. As the most recent hire I'm definately at the bottom of the work chain and my name does have "layoff" next to it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
VTBrown thanks for the input. I think you're correct. As the most recent hire I'm definately at the bottom of the work chain and my name does have "layoff" next to it.
How big is your building? Ups cant get enough people here in chicago to go fulltime let alone ptime. Any upser that is close to being 21 and wants to drive, head here and within 6months you should be driving!

Just Lurking

Full timers bumping the lowest senior part timer so the FT's get their hours in.
I know what layoffs are.

If you could not tell from the rest of my post. We have daily double sorters. People can take a week off and come back to work like nothing happened.

Where are you located? Your center may be only fully staffed center/hub in the
country.:w00t:

To the OP: Since you do not have seniority you do not have rights under CBA. Why not check with fellow employees that have seniority to see if supervisors are working. Then have them file grievances for time worked and recall laid off employees.

VTBrown

Yeah! Rock the boat while your in your trial period. Good advice :confused:1

Better yet....call your supervisors and just ask. Since you were hired then lay'd off. They will give you an idea why and when you may get some hours again.

File unemployment, it works. You'll either get hours or unemployment.

Every center/hub is different. He may have been hired as vacation relief and be at a lull with not a lot of people out.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yeah! Rock the boat while your in your trial period. Good advice :confused:1

Better yet....call your supervisors and just ask. Since you were hired then lay'd off. They will give you an idea why and when you may get some hours again.

File unemployment, it works. You'll either get hours or unemployment.

Every center/hub is different. He may have been hired as vacation relief and be at a lull with not a lot of people out.
He doesnt have to rock the boat, the steward should be doing it anyways, and even more when employees are laid off!!!!!!!

You tell him not to rock the boat with the union, but then you want him to rock it with the government! Dont these two statements contradict each other?

VTBrown

How is filing for unemployment with the government rocking the boat?
That is how it works. You were hired, then lay'd off. That is what unemployment is for.

It's the same thing every seasonal driver should do when they are at the 2 week layoff period.

No one wants to start looking into causing union ripples when they are in their 30 days. That's just silly.

Apples and Oranges there....sorry.

UPS Lifer

Vict,
Based on your post, you were hired right after the 4th of July (or there abouts). This is historically the slowest time of the year for UPS. It starts to pick up in August because of back to school and continues to build all the way through the holidays. Hang in there. You will no doubt be called back on a regular basis real soon. Another misnomer is the word permanent. Nothing is permanent (except for markers!!!:w00t:). I never use that word, especially when talking about jobs. Regular employment is a more accurate way to say it.