New hire

MJ_C

Are you a seasonal employee or a permanent employee? Odds are if you don't know for sure--you are seasonal. Starting after Memorial Day (but before Labor Day) or during peak is one of the ways the company plays games. They will fire you around Labor Day and if you were a good worker ask you back for peak.

Happens all the time. We have people that lost 3 months to it last year and I was shocked they stayed. Had I known when they did it to me: I would have never agreed to their 17.5 hours a week @ $8.50 an hour job. It's a game they play to save on benefits and labor costs. Even if you are fired on a Friday and re-hired the following Monday--yes they will make you re-apply and fill out paperwork that becomes your new start date. And all your benefit clocks reset to zero (as long as it is before Labor Day).

People finally told them to get bent this past year and UPS is crying about not being able to get anyone (esp on preload). If we had a stronger union they wouldn't have been able to pull this nonsense in the past. Now with the labor market begging for workers around $15 an hour are in such demand it makes no sense to work for a company continue treating any employee this way.
I'm actually going to be in a permanent position on twilight shift.

MJ_C

High turnover on twi. Especially.
I'll be prepared for that lol. The hours are what's appealing to me. The way i see it, it's grunt work anyway. At least this way it'll be grunt work that still gives me time with my kids during the day and I don't have to get up at the buttcrack of dawn lol

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I'll be prepared for that lol. The hours are what's appealing to me. The way i see it, it's grunt work anyway. At least this way it'll be grunt work that still gives me time with my kids during the day and I don't have to get up at the buttcrack of dawn lol
Good luck. Be prepared to work, work safe, MYOB. Learn what rights you have under the contract. Management will try and take advantage of new employees sometimes.

MJ_C

Good luck. Be prepared to work, work safe, MYOB. Learn what rights you have under the contract. Management will try and take advantage of new employees sometimes.
Thank you! Luckily, I've been able to see that some. My fiances father was in the warehouse for a long time and then drove until he retired this year, all together he put in over 30 years. Was a great career for him and gave them a good life, but boy did they make him mad 🤣

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Thank you! Luckily, I've been able to see that some. My fiances father was in the warehouse for a long time and then drove until he retired this year, all together he put in over 30 years. Was a great career for him and gave them a good life, but boy did they make him mad 🤣
Then you’re ahead of most, you have an idea of the culture at UPS.

MJ_C

Then you’re ahead of most, you have an idea of the culture at UPS.
I'm currently in school online and have been working in psych Healthcare on and off for years, and I've grown frustrated with the working environment. I'm honestly just looking for a job where I can keep my head down and work and be done until I graduate because I still have quite some time left. As long as I can adjust to the physical aspect of it I think I'll be ok.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
All newbies will be abused, as well as some oldtimers.
It a UPS thing.
Don't take it personal.
Work as Directed is the Rule of Law.
Don't worry about union rights, just learn how to do the job, so that you can stay employed.
And don't get too chummy with your sup. , they are trained to find flaws in you to keep pushing your buttons.

Good Luck

Its_a_me

I was surprised at that too, I'm starting at 15.
$8.50 an hour was the starting wage at UPS until April 24, 2014 with no retention bonus when the 2013 CBA was declared ratified (over the objections of many locals). Starting wage was then bumped up to $10 an hour retroactively to Aug 1, 2013 with no make up differences for those that were here before. Those that quit in between were not paid the difference. Those that didn't quit saw a 38% tax applied to the make-up check reducing it to a couple hundred dollars.

So someone that started many, many years before you is barely making more than you do off the street--which has been a huge contention and in fact does cause hard feelings: imagine what those that have had to live through watching people off the street valued more or essentially equal to them dollar wise feel like after putting in years of blood and sweat.

So the whole I feel issues with the working environment won't get you a lot of sympathy with union members in the 9-20 years seniority department. If you are here to make as much money as you can plus use the benefits, you should stay. If you are looking for a job to hone career skills and enjoy while furthering your education---you should find a different line of work. And rest assuredly the company will take away any bonus they can as soon as they can to get new hires like you to quit as you start costing them more money in the form of benefits.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Oh yeah gloves. Get the grippy nitrile coated kind, good for handling boxes and your PAL stickers.
I’ve agreed with everything you said so far except this one. It may be nitpicking, but the first pair of gloves I ever bought for work at UPS was in feeders and if you’re a feeder driver, you know why. You do not need gloves for loading or unloading. Let’s ignore the fact that you don’t need them for one second and think about how often you’re going to have to buy new gloves because gloves tear after repeated use. Easily.

My two cents. Show up everyday, DRINK WATER BEFORE AFTER AND DURING, don’t compare yourself to the person next to you that’s been loading 5+ years. They were new once too, and they sucked too. Probably still do. Try your best but don’t kill yourself. Look toward the long term, there is a future here. There are many lucrative positions you can earn your way into. If you can do that, you can make it here.