New hire

MJ_C

I start at UPS on the 27th and I'm not gonna lie, I'm NERVOUS! I'm thankful for it, and looking forward to losing some weight as a package handler, but I'm genuinely nervous that I'm too out of shape and they won't keep me lol. Are most people who start here already adapted to this, or is it just as common to see people (I'm a woman about 5'4 and 180 lbs) come in in my position and get through the rough beginnings?

I start at UPS on the 27th and I'm not gonna lie, I'm NERVOUS! I'm thankful for it, and looking forward to losing some weight as a package handler, but I'm genuinely nervous that I'm too out of shape and they won't keep me lol. Are most people who start here already adapted to this, or is it just as common to see people (I'm a woman about 5'4 and 180 lbs) come in in my position and get through the rough beginnings?
It's going to be hot as hell make sure you are something light and comfortable and keep yourself hydrated

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You'll be ok.

Start stretching now and hydrating.

Don't wait until you start because those first couple days sweating will drain you.

Head down and power through.

Good luck.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
You’ll be ok. Work hard but work safe. You’re not going to be able to keep up with the work that an athletic young guy can do. That is ok. They’ll still keep you on. Just do the best you can and don’t forget to drink water and Gatorade when it gets busy.

UPSER1987

Work at a steady pace….ease into the job. Don’t try to do too much too soon. Stay hydrated, take your breaks and communicate any concerns to your sup. I see lots of women do this job - just be smart and safe. Everyone was a newbie once. You’ll be fine.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Carry some over the counter pain relief pills with you.
The job is tough and body aches are common.
Some wear gloves because carboard will suck the moisture right out of your hands.
Wear good comfortable shoes.
And NEVER ask about UPS socks.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
SHOW UP ON TIME EVERY WORKING DAY FOR 40 WORKING DAYS. STAY OFF THE PHONE AND DON'T GET LIPPY.
On day 41 you're in. Just show up on time and don't get mouthy. You can suck as much as you want

PTSandwichMaker

I see all types on preload. No one will judge for your height or size. We’d all just be waiting to see if you come back next week or not honestly lol. Water, low/zero calorie sports drinks, protein, ibuprofen, comfortable clothing, footwear. Getting enough sleep is as important as eating well and hydrating. Weight loss is a nice bonus if you have some to lose. You will be sore first couple weeks as you adjust. Don’t let it turn you off from the job, you get used to it. Girl power. I keep up with the guys just fine (eyeroll at that comment). Know your limits though. & Don’t be turned off if no one is friendly or talks to you right away - it’s busy, and there’s a high turnover on preload so we waiting to see if you’re gonna stick it out.

PTSandwichMaker

Carry some over the counter pain relief pills with you.
The job is tough and body aches are common.
Some wear gloves because carboard will suck the moisture right out of your hands.
Wear good comfortable shoes.
And NEVER ask about UPS socks.
Oh yeah gloves. Get the grippy nitrile coated kind, good for handling boxes and your PAL stickers.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Yeah never tell a girl on the first date you’re a package handler.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
It’s going to be hot
Drink a lot of water
Stretch those limbs
You will be sore because it’s pretty much a workout everyday but your body will get used to it after a week or two.
Preload is one of the hardest jobs to deal with but if you don’t let things get to you or get easily overwhelmed and just brush things off and keep working you’ll be fine.

I found my time doing preload difficult but I just dealt with it because regardless you all get off roughly around the same time ever day anyways. Don’t stare at the clock because time will drag if you do.

MJ_C

I see all types on preload. No one will judge for your height or size. We’d all just be waiting to see if you come back next week or not honestly lol. Water, low/zero calorie sports drinks, protein, ibuprofen, comfortable clothing, footwear. Getting enough sleep is as important as eating well and hydrating. Weight loss is a nice bonus if you have some to lose. You will be sore first couple weeks as you adjust. Don’t let it turn you off from the job, you get used to it. Girl power. I keep up with the guys just fine (eyeroll at that comment). Know your limits though. & Don’t be turned off if no one is friendly or talks to you right away - it’s busy, and there’s a high turnover on preload so we waiting to see if you’re gonna stick it out.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You’re gonna drop that weight if you last.

Its_a_me

Are you a seasonal employee or a permanent employee? Odds are if you don't know for sure--you are seasonal. Starting after Memorial Day (but before Labor Day) or during peak is one of the ways the company plays games. They will fire you around Labor Day and if you were a good worker ask you back for peak.

Happens all the time. We have people that lost 3 months to it last year and I was shocked they stayed. Had I known when they did it to me: I would have never agreed to their 17.5 hours a week @ $8.50 an hour job. It's a game they play to save on benefits and labor costs. Even if you are fired on a Friday and re-hired the following Monday--yes they will make you re-apply and fill out paperwork that becomes your new start date. And all your benefit clocks reset to zero (as long as it is before Labor Day).

People finally told them to get bent this past year and UPS is crying about not being able to get anyone (esp on preload). If we had a stronger union they wouldn't have been able to pull this nonsense in the past. Now with the labor market begging for workers around $15 an hour are in such demand it makes no sense to work for a company continue treating any employee this way.

UPSER1987

Are you a seasonal employee or a permanent employee? Odds are if you don't know for sure--you are seasonal. Starting after Memorial Day (but before Labor Day) or during peak is one of the ways the company plays games. They will fire you around Labor Day and if you were a good worker ask you back for peak.

Happens all the time. We have people that lost 3 months to it last year and I was shocked they stayed. Had I known when they did it to me: I would have never agreed to their 17.5 hours a week @ $8.50 an hour job. It's a game they play to save on benefits and labor costs. Even if you are fired on a Friday and re-hired the following Monday--yes they will make you re-apply and fill out paperwork that becomes your new start date. And all your benefit clocks reset to zero (as long as it is before Labor Day).

People finally told them to get bent this past year and UPS is crying about not being able to get anyone (esp on preload). If we had a stronger union they wouldn't have been able to pull this nonsense in the past. Now with the labor market begging for workers around $15 an hour are in such demand it makes no sense to work for a company continue treating any employee this way.
She was looking for encouragement, not your personal sob story. You are obviously misinformed lol.