new hires getting bonus

Observer

This whole debacle about paying bonus' to new hires is wrong. It is not fair to people who started there previously to not reap the benefits. It's too bad that nothing is being done to correct this wrong. When you mention it at a union meeting they claim they are aware of it - but it goes no further. In other words, sorry. NO wonder people don't come to union meetings - why bother - you bring up a topic and nothing is ever done about it. Yes, I know a lot of the meeting is what disgruntled workers come to discuss, but , hey - if stuff was getting accomplished people wouldn't get disgruntled. Also, if they want new people to come to the meetings - stewards and others should leave a text message as they are not informed about a union and what it is. A guy asked a snowflake sup who he should contact about the union and the guy gave him the name of one of the BA's names. Didn't even mention about stewards. Paying bonus is showing that the company is desperate for workers. Check out the job boards and see what former and current employees state about the company. I'm amazed anyone applies anymore. PAYING BONUS to show up daily is wrong, wrong, wrong.

The Range

In too deep
LOL at the idea of a new union member getting paid a bonus to show up, out-earning another union member who has a few years seniority. This is a union shop? What exactly is the union doing for part-timers when the company pays more to a subset of the bargaining unit than what the union was able to negotiate? The union doesn't hold UPS accountable in honoring specific part-time language including bid positions which allows nepotism, favoritism and general harassment to run rampant in the PT ranks. If the part-timers weren't majority college age vagabonds without a thinking cap they would say see ya to this deal.

Last edited:

cachmeifucan

Yeah you know who else negotiated a better deal the mayor of Chicago the minimum wage is 11 and I think it's goes up July 1st 2018 to 12 dollars a hour now that is sad that rahm can negotiate a better wage for Mcdonald workers in the city that for the hard labor no benefits for a year ups

SweatPit

i won't bite
Want to bump this up. They are still doing this at the Lenexa hub in Kansas. $125 a week bonus for new hires just for showing up for work every day on time. Equals out to around $15 an hour or so. If I was a new hire I would take advantage of it too. Happy they are getting some sort of incentive since the company and this location has such a horrible turnover rate. Not sure how much it is helping. But I am sure it is. It was supposed to end Jan 1st of 2018. But it is still going on!

I talked to an unloader who missed this incentive by 1 week when they introduced it some time last year in August I believe! So there are people getting roughly $5 more per hour then this guy.

Buuut.... what really upsets me is there are workers with up to around 5 years not making what a new hire is getting based on this new hire incentive. 5 years with the company to find out that someone hired off the street is making more then you would really piss me off. The local just says, "Well they are not getting benefits yet" Majority of the people hired to work in the hub are like 18 years old and have insurance through their parents still.

km3

Buuut.... what really upsets me is there are workers with up to around 5 years not making what a new hire is getting based on this new hire incentive. 5 years with the company to find out that someone hired off the street is making more then you would really piss me off. The local just says, "Well they are not getting benefits yet" Majority of the people hired to work in the hub are like 18 years old and have insurance through their parents still.

PTers here who were unaffected and angry about the bonuses here suddenly realized the importance of working safe, and following the methods. Some even grew a pair and started filing every time a supervisor touched a package.

In retrospect, it might have been cheaper for the company to give the bonuses to all of the PTers (at least the ones still in progression) rather than to piss them all off.

The company eventually caved and put an end to the bonuses and just raised everybody below $15.00/hr up to that amount.

SweatPit

i won't bite
If the negotiated wage for part timers wasn't so low then these bonsuses wouldn't exist.
Well of course. Why are these bonuses not going to EVERYONE that is showing up on time everyday??? It is the matter of the fact that there are NEW employees making a lot more in some cases then someone who has been with the company for around 5 years.

A ton of part time supervisors quit last year due to the company hiring PT supervisors off the street and paying them $16.15 an hour. More then some that have been with the company for years....

Complete BS that the union can't do :censored2: about these bonuses.

SweatPit

i won't bite
Contacted my steward about it again and I guess there was a grievance on it with UPS and it made it to a national level supposedly. And the union lost. Due to the company saying, "Well they get no insurance for a full year, so this bonus makes up for it."
Yes the majority of all the people hired to work in the building are kids. That are on their parents insurance already. Hell, they probably don't even need insurance at that age. I never did when I got hired 15 years ago. The company using leverage on the union failing on a prior contract when it went from 90 days to get insurance all the way up to a full year.

cachmeifucan

They are hiring many new hires probably to make them in union to vote yes for 14$ a hour probably a signing bonus for public support and new hires who don't care about insurance, 9.5 enforcement working conditions, keeping the benefits we have not concede on anything. Record profits again I think it was 5.8 billion and projection over u billion this year

PT Car Washer

They are hiring many new hires probably to make them in union to vote yes for 14$ a hour probably a signing bonus for public support and new hires who don't care about insurance, 9.5 enforcement working conditions, keeping the benefits we have not concede on anything. Record profits again I think it was 5.8 billion and projection over u billion this year
The company is trying to hire more people but because with the current wages and work load nobody stays.

WorkingAsDirected

Contacted my steward about it again and I guess there was a grievance on it with UPS and it made it to a national level supposedly. And the union lost. Due to the company saying, "Well they get no insurance for a full year, so this bonus makes up for it."
Yes the majority of all the people hired to work in the building are kids. That are on their parents insurance already. Hell, they probably don't even need insurance at that age. I never did when I got hired 15 years ago. The company using leverage on the union failing on a prior contract when it went from 90 days to get insurance all the way up to a full year.

My BA said the bonuses are allowed because of an educational program that also pays for living expenses is allowed and thus considered to be a bonus. However, any bonus must be approved by the union in local 705
20180517_065627.jpg

I would love to see the documents and decision of the case on why the bonus is allowed.

km3

Sounds like a weak ass decision to me. The COMPANY wanted insurance not to be given for a full year to save money on their end. If they need to offer something to make up for it, why not just give the insurance earlier to begin with? Good god...

My BA said the bonuses are allowed because of an educational program that also pays for living expenses is allowed and thus considered to be a bonus. However, any bonus must be approved by the union in local 705
View attachment 197178

I would love to see the documents and decision of the case on why the bonus is allowed.

That sounds bogus too. While comparing bonuses to education assistance would seem fair, there is a very important detail that must not be overlooked: Anybody can get the education assistance, but the bonuses only apply to people hired at a certain time.

These are the kinds of decisions that really make you hate this place...

brown_trousers

View attachment 197178

That makes sense. When we lost our class action grievance in arbitration, the BA said UPS was claiming past-practice as their defense. And in retrospect, we do have a history of letting UPS use targeted incentives on new hires, like the education benefits.

WorkingAsDirected

That makes sense. When we lost our class action grievance in arbitration, the BA said UPS was claiming past-practice as their defense. And in retrospect, we do have a history of letting UPS use targeted incentives on new hires, like the education benefits.
We do have incentives for new hires such as education benefits BUT that bonus is approved by the union in local 705. How does the new hire weekly bonus get approved by the union??

cachmeifucan

Well the union can't collect more dues unless they get bonus so of course the union don't care. Maybe if our union could negotiate better wages they wouldn't have to give bonus. Well we have a real chance in 705 to turn this on its head if we can get our members to vote no if we get a weak contract.

SweatPit

i won't bite
^ So you are saying the newish employees that are receiving this bonus are giving more union dues? I know out here it is a right to work state. So you do not have to join the union when you work for UPS. Unless there is some under the table crap going on with the company giving the union some sore of incentive to allow this bonus to keep going on. This bonus needs to apply to EVERY worker that shows up to work on time every day of the week. I could see it lasting 30 to 90 days. But now up to a year or so and they still receive this bonus...Not fair at all for everyone else especially those workers that missed out on that deal with 2-5 years or so. Those guys are getting royally screwed.

Well we already know that even UPS said they want to give out better starting wages so that is a given and will happen.