new hires / please come to work :)

• Thread starter helpwantedbadly
  • Start date

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Anonymous new hire said:
I was hired back in May to be a full time driver off the street I worked preload for a month on a on call basis (every morning at 0300) I did it and never complained I went to drivers school and came back to preload on call it took me quiting to have management realize that I was hired as a driver. Now I drvie one day a week and am scheduled 3 days a week but my manager has me call in every day at 0730 to see if I need to come in I thought if you were scheduled to work you worked and layoffs were layoffs here a layoff is just a scheduling mistake no one seems to communicate and no one seems to care. Is this really how this is supposed to work? I call HR to only get voice mail and no one will tell me who the union rep is. I think communication is key and I do not seem to be on the recieving end of any.
The problem is they know you will hang in and suffer the short , real short pay periods for a chance at full time. For about a minimun of 1 yr, it will be like that, and I dont think it is right. I went through the period, I was lucky enough to have another job where I could go in at will, so I always had a paycheck. But they expect you to be on call, and in a perfect world you could hang out and do that, most of us dont have that option.
So if you are not doing anything better its fine, if I could do it over I wouldnt. Rethink your future, if you have a fresh degree, go use it, you will be glad you did.

Cezanne

The whole work environment has changed, part timers are not what they used to be for the most part they were college students, young , healthy, single and male. Might not sound today as politically correct but that were the kids that UPS only hired in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The Health coverage was basically not needed, because alot of these college kids were covered also with their parents benefits. Today the only and I mean only advantage to work for UPS would be health coverage for a married or aging workforce, it just isn't worth it for the average college kid to maintain the standards of employment that UPS is committed too. This 8.50 per hour deal to start out with minus the union dues, lousy start times and a pretty physical warehouse workload kills any ambition for the new employee to hang around. The tutition reimbursement offered only helps with you are capable of maintaining a full college schedule and grade average and still find the time to show up five days a week, working physically harder than most average employees do in a 12 hour shift.

This whole pension fiasco and the possibility of the average full timer hanging around till 65 or older is also taking affect. The long term employee is basically pissed off with the answers that we are getting about any future retirement with our bodies still in working order, the smart ones are working at a pace to prevent any injury that may prevent them from collected that pension, working smarter not harder would be the term. Any kind of standards are a thing of the past, if they really ever existed. Also the long term employee generally has a history of past offenses and some pretty abusive treatment by bad management practices and we really never trust the company to do the right thing, they created the monster now they have to live with it.

Now on the management level, that carrot of UPS stock is being prolonged and is not as tasty as it once was. The old time management is still hanging around, most are multi-millionaires and resentment is building with the younger management types. The will never be in the situation with the UPS stock that occured when it went public in the early 90's, that promise of living comfortable and having the ability to retire in the mid 50's is disappearing. Anybody who has worked for UPS has noticed the "pecking order concept" management works under, the control that upper management has over the lower types is pretty frightening. This creates alot of enuchs who cower to the whims of those in charge of their careers, any creative thought out there is suppressed by the system in place.

Anybody remember the dire straits song "Industrial disease", guessing we are not alone in this, go to any major corporation and probadly find the same situation.

disneyworld

Cezanne said:
The whole work environment has changed, part timers are not what they used to be for the most part they were college students, young , healthy, single and male. Might not sound today as politically correct but that were the kids that UPS only hired in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The Health coverage was basically not needed, because alot of these college kids were covered also with their parents benefits. Today the only and I mean only advantage to work for UPS would be health coverage for a married or aging workforce, it just isn't worth it for the average college kid to maintain the standards of employment that UPS is committed too. This 8.50 per hour deal to start out with minus the union dues, lousy start times and a pretty physical warehouse workload kills any ambition for the new employee to hang around. The tutition reimbursement offered only helps with you are capable of maintaining a full college schedule and grade average and still find the time to show up five days a week, working physically harder than most average employees do in a 12 hour shift.

This whole pension fiasco and the possibility of the average full timer hanging around till 65 or older is also taking affect. The long term employee is basically pissed off with the answers that we are getting about any future retirement with our bodies still in working order, the smart ones are working at a pace to prevent any injury that may prevent them from collected that pension, working smarter not harder would be the term. Any kind of standards are a thing of the past, if they really ever existed. Also the long term employee generally has a history of past offenses and some pretty abusive treatment by bad management practices and we really never trust the company to do the right thing, they created the monster now they have to live with it.

Now on the management level, that carrot of UPS stock is being prolonged and is not as tasty as it once was. The old time management is still hanging around, most are multi-millionaires and resentment is building with the younger management types. The will never be in the situation with the UPS stock that occured when it went public in the early 90's, that promise of living comfortable and having the ability to retire in the mid 50's is disappearing. Anybody who has worked for UPS has noticed the "pecking order concept" management works under, the control that upper management has over the lower types is pretty frightening. This creates alot of enuchs who cower to the whims of those in charge of their careers, any creative thought out there is suppressed by the system in place.

Anybody remember the dire straits song "Industrial disease", guessing we are not alone in this, go to any major corporation and probadly find the same situation.
The tuition reimbursement isn't even worth it now. It has to be paid back if you leave within two years of completing your degree.

rngri4

Here where I am we have gone through 70 plus hires on the preload this year alone...they work for a couple days, then never show back up, no call in, they just quit, and don't tell anyone. I for one though wouldn't start out again on preload making $8.50 and hour loading over a thousand packages a day, thanks to PAS.

mittam

rngri4 said:
Here where I am we have gone through 70 plus hires on the preload this year alone...they work for a couple days, then never show back up, no call in, they just quit, and don't tell anyone. I for one though wouldn't start out again on preload making $8.50 and hour loading over a thousand packages a day, thanks to PAS.
When I loaded it was over 1200 per day before pass we were held to + and - 5 on stop count ,no air inload, haz pkgs on floor, tag pulled to pouch,all of which we could get warning letters or fired if we didn't follow up correctly.Last 2 weeks I have had 25 misloads(off area) 2 haz packages on top shelf,air inload 2 of them off area, a 105 lb on top back shelf,preload center manager said she would address this in next weeks safety pcm .Let's see between 3 of us we have had 8 haz pkgs on top shelves no tags pulled yah let's wait till next week.My thought is keep complaining about pt sup not properly traing and having no accoutability.Does it seem elsewhere that only drivers are held accountable? NO representation has helped us on these matters.. my suggestion...... join the APWA these are serious matters they are going to address,these should be dealt with immediatly not " oh next week when we have a safety pcm" managers need to be accountable now

20_smoke

I am sick of people complaining about P/T turn over and people not coming to work. It's not about the pay,its about the P/T and friend/T supervisors they work for. I was always told people do not quit UPS, they quit there supervisor. Turn over this year in my building is around 15% that is because it starts with orientation, all full time supervisors on our shift stop by the class everyday. We tell them what they are really getting into. Also, we do not have our newest P/T supervisors training new hires, we have our senior P/T sups training. I guess we are doing something right we also have zero injuries so far this year. Its about how you talk, treat and understand the people that work for you. It is not always about the packages and the operation, take time to sit down with one of your employees outside or when the belts are not running, you will be surprised what you can get accomplished.

Adino

Preload/Unloader
paco said:
P.S: It is very easy to go from 8:50/hr to 10/hr, all you gotta do is work for 90 days and pass the sort test.

Yes that is the case here, and I for one never had to do a sort test.

Hangingon

We've had 100% turnover in our PT sups in the last 6 months. The ones we now have have never done the jobs they are supervising and as a consequence there is no training of any type that goes on here. Unloaders are put on the sort aisle and told to ask other sorters where things go and loaders are just handed the charts. Several of our PTers have quit and one of the main reasons cited has been frustration at not knowing how to do the job but being yelled at for not doing it correctly or in a timely fashion.

danlin

Cezanne said:

Excellent post I could not of said it better myself. Cezanne you and your career sound like a mirror image of me-mine. Also the song ITS JUST A GAME by Triumph sums up UPS pretty well

paco

disneyworld said:
Whadda ya mean,"no such thing"

"Earn and learn" program which allows you upto $15000 ($3000 yearly) for PT hub workers, is unrestricted money. There is a consern loan which allows you to borrow upto $8000, which UPS will pay if you stay with them for 5 years (other than the interest). So your assertion that you have to pay it back to UPS is nonsense.

But
if you are talking about reimbursement for other class of employees, I apologize. However, for PT hourlies and sups, what I mentioned above applies.

paco

Adino said:
Yes that is the case here, and I for one never had to do a sort test.

In colorado, it's 8.50 for 90 days, then you get a raise of .50. In the meantime, you can pass the sort test, which entitles you to an extra dollar so, 8.50+1.00+0.5 =$10. I don't know how it breaks down for your area. But officially that's how you'd do it.

H

helpwantedbadly

Cezanne said:

Without a doubt, this is the BEST post I have ever seen on this board, but i have to add just one comment that I hope really makes up my fellow teamster brothers! The workforce WAS young, male and college kids in the past. They drew little if anything from the medical benefits needed. NOW the company, which pays a basiclly lump sum to the Teamsters to admin and oversee benefits can FLOOD the system by hiring older employees to try to do the job with several dependants to draw from the benefit coffers. Sure its not politically correct but lets be honest, ON A WHOLE AND OF COURSE THERE ARE COUNTLESS EXCEPTIONS but can a 20 year old male more easily meet the challenges of the job than a 40 year old female? But hey great maybe the 40 year old female can gain enough seniority to become a driver by her 50th birthday! Swing driver for a golden birthday present YIPEE!!!! Wake up and help tend the lawn Atlanta!!!! The seeds to our destruction are being planted on YOUR watch! (or nap)

rngri4

mittam said:
When I loaded it was over 1200 per day before pass we were held to + and - 5 on stop count ,no air inload, haz pkgs on floor, tag pulled to pouch,all of which we could get warning letters or fired if we didn't follow up correctly.Last 2 weeks I have had 25 misloads(off area) 2 haz packages on top shelf,air inload 2 of them off area, a 105 lb on top back shelf,preload center manager said she would address this in next weeks safety pcm .Let's see between 3 of us we have had 8 haz pkgs on top shelves no tags pulled yah let's wait till next week.My thought is keep complaining about pt sup not properly traing and having no accoutability.Does it seem elsewhere that only drivers are held accountable? NO representation has helped us on these matters.. my suggestion...... join the APWA these are serious matters they are going to address,these should be dealt with immediatly not " oh next week when we have a safety pcm" managers need to be accountable now

Ok, not to be stupid or ignorant here, but I am in management, and 25 misloads and haz-mat packages on shelves is totally unacceptable, that cannot be blamed on any part time sup, that is a loaders fault 100%. DMS, which is used for dispatching does not show whether packages are overweight or hazmat, it just show the package, the software will one day be upgraded, but the loader still has to think with a clear head and do their job. I hate to say it, but you would've been given a letter of termination on our preload after just ten misloads or at least a warning letter.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Hangingon said:
This is completly the PT sups fault. It's called lack of training.
I agree, BUT, the trainer must be given the time to train...........and they are usually loading themselves...........

rngri4

Hangingon said:
This is completly the PT sups fault. It's called lack of training.

How is it the PT Sup's fault? They aren't the ones loading the packages in the wrong trucks. Yes, I will agree I have seen inadequate training by PT Sup's but you can't blame them when aren't loading the trucks. In our building there are enough PT Sup's where one stays with a trainee all day, never leaving their side for the first two weeks, other building I have been to don't have that luxury, but I get tired of hearing people all the time blaming someone else for their mistakes. I used to be a pt oms, and I ended up working the preload a lot, training, so I know what training is, and how to do it, but I will agree that not all PT Sup's do, but they can't always be the blame.

disneyworld

paco said:
"Earn and learn" program which allows you upto $15000 ($3000 yearly) for PT hub workers, is unrestricted money. There is a consern loan which allows you to borrow upto $8000, which UPS will pay if you stay with them for 5 years (other than the interest). So your assertion that you have to pay it back to UPS is nonsense.

But
if you are talking about reimbursement for other class of employees, I apologize. However, for PT hourlies and sups, what I mentioned above applies.
Did I miss something? I don't remember writing anything about earn and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bear123

25yrvet

i myself will be here 29 years. it used to be when i started that if you were a no call no show, you had better have one hell of an excuse why you didnt come to work that day. if you couldn't come up with any excuse you were gone and it was almost impossible to get your job back. i too remember that there would be lines 50 deep waiting to be interviewed.
now they have gone to highschools to recruit,
there was one gal who had been here 20 years and she simply walked out. the company called her two days later and asked her to come back and she did. 20 years ago, if she would have done that the company would have said, "you're leaving? fine dont let the door hit you in the ass.