New Member with two related questions.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Two weeks ago my group's on-car tried to say the same Upstate is saying that we had to do all that work before start time. The next day, and every work day since, all but like 4 of us walk away from the PCM when they call start time to go get our diads to punch in and we won't touch jack :censored2: before start time. Sup just stops talking and lowers his head until we all get back. He shot himself in the foot by trying to force us into working for free.

Marne Vet

All I grab is my diad in the morning, punch in, get EDD, and sit in a chair and wait until the PCM starts. When the annoying OMS starts yelling in my ear about something that happened the day before I usually walk away, or say "Talk to me after I'm on the clock". I don't touch a package until I'm on the clock, I don't answer questions, I don't go on the belt, and I especially don't grab the rest of my stuff for the day (hand truck, tags, bags, etc) until AFTER the PCM. How long it takes for me to leave after the PCM is their problem, and I get yelled at constantly to "hurry up!". You have to stand your ground, and be tactful about it. Don't be disrespectful towards management, but at the same time make sure they know you're working now by gathering all of the things required to finish your day. You'll take some heat for it, but who cares. You're doing it right.

Also, your Steward should be the guy up on the belt telling the drivers to get the friend out of their trucks until they're on the clock! Ours does it here, so where is your steward?! Tell him to do his job!

OPTION3

All I grab is my diad in the morning, punch in, get EDD, and sit in a chair and wait until the PCM starts. When the annoying OMS starts yelling in my ear about something that happened the day before I usually walk away, or say "Talk to me after I'm on the clock". I don't touch a package until I'm on the clock, I don't answer questions, I don't go on the belt, and I especially don't grab the rest of my stuff for the day (hand truck, tags, bags, etc) until AFTER the PCM. How long it takes for me to leave after the PCM is their problem, and I get yelled at constantly to "hurry up!". You have to stand your ground, and be tactful about it. Don't be disrespectful towards management, but at the same time make sure they know you're working now by gathering all of the things required to finish your day. You'll take some heat for it, but who cares. You're doing it right.

Also, your Steward should be the guy up on the belt telling the drivers to get the friend out of their trucks until they're on the clock! Ours does it here, so where is your steward?! Tell him to do his job!
Agree with almost all of this EXCEPT that it's the stewards job…..ANY driver that sees someone working off the clock should file…don't ask for the money(unless you want it) ask that the Highest senior preloaded get it…..The company WILL stop people from working…they will issue progressive discipline……Of the clock drivers will HATE you!---LMAO!

A

anonymous6

Our local is pretty weak where I work. A lot of basic grievance issues go unchallenged. I have spoken with management about the off the clock drivers and they just say it's on them. However, FLSA makes it pretty clear the employer must do everything within their power to prevent off-the-clock work. I just wanted to know if I contact the help line if anyone on here feels it would change this or is grievance the only thing that will change it. Regarding a grievance, do I need to go in at 7am with these drivers and watch them to file?

the local is YOU> my BA told me this years ago and it is truer today than then. "you drivers are your own worse enemies."

Marne Vet

Agree with almost all of this EXCEPT that it's the stewards job…..ANY driver that sees someone working off the clock should file…don't ask for the money(unless you want it) ask that the Highest senior preloaded get it…..The company WILL stop people from working…they will issue progressive discipline……Of the clock drivers will HATE you!---LMAO!

Drivers tend to ignore each other though. No one wants to hear they're wrong, but if a Steward tells you to get off the belt, he has a little more "pull" than a fellow driver. Our Steward has no problem hitting the belt daily and yelling at the same repeat offenders. Same old excuse too. "It helps me get done earlier". Right. The running like a bat out of Hell and skipping your lunch is what gets you guys done faster. Stop all of it and make them eat the numbers.

jaker

trolling
I have the worst loader in the hub I get to work about 45 min early because of my commute , so I put my stuff in the truck move the savers that get put onto my 1000 shelf ( I don't know why it does that because they are from a split ) back to 8000 shelf

Scan my truck for misloads ( I don't move anything just put eyes on labels on boxes that don't look right ) I have found many misloads doing that , look what what's loaded on the floor ( big stuff) and boxes that have no reason being on the floor all this takes me about 3 mins and it gives me an idea of what's going on in my truck

Then I walk up front and hang out and BS until start time

Indecisi0n

I have the worst loader in the hub I get to work about 45 min early because of my commute , so I put my stuff in the truck move the savers that get put onto my 1000 shelf ( I don't know why it does that because they are from a split ) back to 8000 shelf

Scan my truck for misloads ( I don't move anything just put eyes on labels on boxes that don't look right ) I have found many misloads doing that , look what what's loaded on the floor ( big stuff) and boxes that have no reason being on the floor all this takes me about 3 mins and it gives me an idea of what's going on in my truck

Then I walk up front and hang out and BS until start time
Keep the misloads on car, keep the horrible load. If you keep fixing it you will have that loader for life. On the other hand if you keep getting tons of misloads they will probably end up moving the loader.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Misloads are a but they are money in my pocket. If they are residential I run them before I head in. Time and a half for a one pound L.L. Bean that's twenty minutes out of my way....sweet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are told to go through our cars and send in any misloads by 3pm. I will run those off that I can and will be told to either drop those that I can't somewhere on area or sheet them as missed. The most common misleads I get are for a town 1 hour away-----no chance I'll be asked to run those off.

jaker

trolling
Keep the misloads on car, keep the horrible load. If you keep fixing it you will have that loader for life. On the other hand if you keep getting tons of misloads they will probably end up moving the loader.
Sorry to tell you after 3 years and I don't know how many write up they have not move him and I don't touch my load it is the worst , cover guys don't like to run my route because of his loads

The funny part was the dislikes I got from that post and the only thing I even touch in my truck are the savers That get put On the 1000 shelf