New Metal Detectors That Are Not Used

SubPop79

We just had two brand spanking new metal detectors installed in our guardroom last week. This move is a total waste a money and also a danger to our employees. No, I'm not talking about the effects of the machine, be it radiation or whatnot. Here is why.

1) The metal detector for the entrance door is simply never on. Not at all.

2) The metal detector for the exit door is housed between two metal doors. *facepalm* The metal doors set off the metal detector when ever they opened, because - get this - they're freaking metal. Sometimes we have lines outside because the guard is letting people in one by one. Other times, the doors are opened, which causes no problems except for the next number.

3) The guard just goes "OK, OK, go through, go through. Your good." He does not realize that one does not simply walk through a metal detector. You have to stand under inside it for about 3 seconds before it detects anything. Because of this, it never detects my short's buttons, my belt, or anything.

4) Our hours are now cut by a few hours each week - to save money. Granted, we are now fully staffed, but I think they could also save money by not having never bought these, I'm guessing at least $5,000 metal detectors - one of which isn't used and the other which is never used properly.

5) We had a employee who was fired for attacking our sup. Turns out, this wasn't the first time he physically attacked someone. He was somehow rehired after the first time, and refired the second. Choked him during a fight. He then threatened to come back with gun. A few weeks later, he's just chilling in the parking lot on April 15, 2013. Look the date up if you don't remember what happened then. A bit worrisome.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Transferring blame is the UPS way. "We gave the guard service tools to detect problems before this incident happened." "We were assured they have taken extensive training through videos and seminars at ACME Security"

SubPop79

Transferring blame is the UPS way. "We gave the guard service tools to detect problems before this incident happened." "We were assured they have taken extensive training through videos and seminars at ACME Security"

We've only had 1 security guard that ever actually did his job. Now, he was a weird guy, and it felt uncomfortable when he ever so slowly scanned people with his magic metal detecting wand, but hindsight is 20/20 and we were probably all safer and there were less stolen phones.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We've only had 1 security guard that ever actually did his job. Now, he was a weird guy, and it felt uncomfortable when he ever so slowly scanned people with his magic metal detecting wand, but hindsight is 20/20 and we were probably all safer and there were less stolen phones.
It is idiotic to think that walking thru a metal detector in the morning somehow makes the workplace safer. A person who has formed a premeditated intent to commit murder in the workplace will simply walk through the detector, set it off, shoot the unarmed minimum wage security guard in the head, and then proceed inside where he will be free to kill as many unarmed and defenseless people as he wants to. Remember that virtually every single mass shooting in the last 20 years has taken place in a "gun free" zone. The metal detectors are there to reduce UPS's liability and lower its insurance rates, not to keep you and I safe. My guess is that the only UPS facility with armed guards...is the corporate HQ in Atlanta.

SubPop79

While gun wielding psychopaths are a real threat and a real concern with this lack of security, especially with the level of noise in the workplace, I've seen 5 guys get fired already because of theft. 3 were fired in a group because 1 was stealing a phone and the other 2 in truck knew but said nothing, and the other 2 were actually stopped in the guardroom. The ones in the guardroom were stopped by a guard with a metal detecting wand.

Take personal items for instance. We can't bring our phones into the building. Many people who do, because they forget to leave them in the car or couldn't stop checking facebook, would simply put them under their hats our tuck them in their shoes, outside of where the guard would search even with a perfectly capable device.

SubPop79

Reading all this makes me curious. In the center Im in ive never seen anyone fired for theft, the entire 7 years ive worked here.

You may have better management who hires trustworthy people? OR, maybe they were not actually stealing, and you have management that does not lie or act irrationally? OR, maybe I'm nosy and well connected.

SubPop79

That all happen last peak right near Christmas. Perhaps it was totally happenstance? In the 2.5 years I've worked at UPS, that was the only time.

browntroll

my hub has always had metal detectors. when i first started we had 4-5 guards just watching and wand ppl that come and go. lately for some reason
the company has decided to drop it down to 1 maybe 2 ppl for this job, thats right you guessed it creates a cluster of ppl that have to get the wand and show
id. as for the metal detectors they put wetfloor signs to make everyone go through only one to make the guards job easier but this creates even more of a
backup at the entrance but for some reason i see the ppl in suits show a special id and they dont have through walk through them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I get wanded everyday when I leave....with my cell phone and ipod in my pocket. Never beeps....useless. If these idiots worked for the TSA, I'd never fly again.
Reading all this makes me curious. In the center Im in ive never seen anyone fired for theft, the entire 7 years ive worked here.
I have....but they were caught by LP not the inept guards.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
We just had two brand spanking new metal detectors installed in our guardroom last week. This move is a total waste a money and also a danger to our employees. No, I'm not talking about the effects of the machine, be it radiation or whatnot. Here is why.

1) The metal detector for the entrance door is simply never on. Not at all.

2) The metal detector for the exit door is housed between two metal doors. *facepalm* The metal doors set off the metal detector when ever they opened, because - get this - they're freaking metal. Sometimes we have lines outside because the guard is letting people in one by one. Other times, the doors are opened, which causes no problems except for the next number.

3) The guard just goes "OK, OK, go through, go through. Your good." He does not realize that one does not simply walk through a metal detector. You have to stand under inside it for about 3 seconds before it detects anything. Because of this, it never detects my short's buttons, my belt, or anything.

4) Our hours are now cut by a few hours each week - to save money. Granted, we are now fully staffed, but I think they could also save money by not having never bought these, I'm guessing at least $5,000 metal detectors - one of which isn't used and the other which is never used properly.

5) We had a employee who was fired for attacking our sup. Turns out, this wasn't the first time he physically attacked someone. He was somehow rehired after the first time, and refired the second. Choked him during a fight. He then threatened to come back with gun. A few weeks later, he's just chilling in the parking lot on April 15, 2013. Look the date up if you don't remember what happened then. A bit worrisome.
As much as you are right, I do have to say that I'd rather just walk right through because of lazy guards. And if you ever came to my building and brought it to their attention, and I had to start taking off my shoes I would hunt you down and kill you. You are right and responsible though, I just prefer to be lazy lol.

Future

Victory Ride
I get wanded everyday when I leave....with my cell phone and ipod in my pocket. Never beeps....useless. If these idiots worked for the TSA, I'd never fly again.

I have....but they were caught by LP not the inept guards.
I get wanded every time I set foot in my truck.......drum roll please....

Nimnim

The Nim
The security is rotated, either staff or company around 6 months to a year at my location. There's been metal detectors for at least 10 years now, and anyone who has worked here for a year or two knows that the security only has the ability to tell someone to stop but not physically touch them. If anyone attempts to enter with a weapon and it's not used on the security all they will do it pick up the phone and call inside, and then probably run to their car and leave.

I've learned how much of what kinds of metal I can have on me before I set of the alarm, and since I damn near never set it off once the guards get used to me they don't even notice if I set it off. Last time I forgot to leave my phone in the car I set it off and the guards looked to see if they didn't notice someone leaving and waved me past, but I stopped and patted myself down and told them I have my phone and went back to my car.

The security is almost 100% an insurance deduction, any real thefts are not caught at the guard shack but in the building by LP.

AndUPSER

I can't tell if the new security guard is happy to be doing this job or if he's on crack. Last 3 mornings leaving he has said something along the lines of: Hey man, great day to be here, got a phone sticker dang man you do you must have done this before. Now let me wand you, beep beep, okay man good luck out in the world.