New package car questions

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Our center received about 6 of the new 600s a few weeks ago. What amazes me is the lack of horsepower. Mechanic said UPS is getting Freightliner or whoever makes the engines to really restrict their HP capacity to improve fuel economy. My 1000 is faster than these newer, smaller trucks.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Our center received about 6 of the new 600s a few weeks ago. What amazes me is the lack of horsepower. Mechanic said UPS is getting Freightliner or whoever makes the engines to really restrict their HP capacity to improve fuel economy. My 1000 is faster than these newer, smaller trucks.
Engine is smaller, too. Like a 4.6 or something like that. Seems to have the opposite effect though. Now all the drivers hold it to the floor all day and get 6 mpg while my old 6 liter gets 9 on the dot. Pure genius mentality we got at ups.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had 1 one day last week. It was too cold to use the in cab fans, kind of bummed me out. I had 2 stops that I had to walk off so that I did not remove the whirly bird with a tree branch. I actually put a delivery notice on the windshield to remind me.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Drive it like you stole it lol

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
20210215_231900.jpg

20210215_231044.jpg

20210215_163728.jpg

20210215_163713.jpg

20210215_104509.jpg

My first time driving one of these new trucks today. It was a joy to have everything actually work. The added height did cause me to alter my route, 10'6" bridge. Longer than my regular 1000, but drive nicely. I even like the Ford chime lol. I didn't experience any leakage with the whirlybird. The hooked end in the rear is a great grab bar.

rod

Retired 22 years
View attachment 328581
View attachment 328582
View attachment 328583
View attachment 328584
View attachment 328585

My first time driving one of these new trucks today. It was a joy to have everything actually work. The added height did cause me to alter my route, 10'6" bridge. Longer than my regular 1000, but drive nicely. I even like the Ford chime lol. I didn't experience any leakage with the whirlybird. The hooked end in the rear is a great grab bar.
I'm wore out just looking at that beast.

Cowboy Mac

View attachment 328581
View attachment 328582
View attachment 328583
View attachment 328584
View attachment 328585

I like the fords much better than the new freight liner 1000’s. No loud beeping all day in the Ford, and when you put your foot down it actually goes somewhere. For some reason the freight liners want to buck every time you start moving.

specter208

I like the fords much better than the new freight liner 1000’s. No loud beeping all day in the Ford, and when you put your foot down it actually goes somewhere. For some reason the freight liners want to buck every time you start moving.
I think the transmissions on the freight liners are being Mickey Mouse tuned for fuel economy. It will switch to second gear too soon at start up and try to get into overdrive as fast as possible. Then when you need accelerate it has to drop gears. They also have something weird going on with the abs it seems.

Cowboy Mac

The only problem I have had with the Ford is the horn. If you tap it just right, the horn gets stuck on and you have to keep beating on it until it stops.

oldngray

nowhere special
The only problem I have had with the Ford is the horn. If you tap it just right, the horn gets stuck on and you have to keep beating on it until it stops.
Old GMC's had the problem of the turn signal return spring coming loose and making horn get stuck on. You had to unplug the horn to shut it up.

Cowboy Mac

Old GMC's had the problem of the turn signal return spring coming loose and making horn get stuck on. You had to unplug the horn to shut it up.
That’s even worse. Happened to me once delivering across the street from a school during recess. All the kids came running to the fence line cheering and yelling “UPS!”. I gave the teachers my best smile and and went about my business.

Spanky250

All of the new trucks we've gotten lately have the transmission programed to limit engine rpms to 1900. Makes them a total dog.

Spanky250

Mine does it too lol. I've found if you always tap it below the Ford emblem it doesn't stick nearly as often.

I do love the V10 engine though, much torquier and quieter than the Vortecs.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Yeah the Fords are nice, but that new truck felt underpowered. My older Freightliner 1000 can get up out of it's way. The turn signal beeps drives me crazy though.

Faceplanted

We have tons of new natural gas trucks with the “radar” spinny on the top of the rear. They also have 2 driver fans. I drove one during a warm day, the rear seemed to be almost ambient temps, and the 2 fans are a huge diff. I’m going to cry like a baby to get one in my bid route in the next couple of months

they are not necessary slower, the power to me feels the same, it’s just that the shift points set by the ecu are much lower in the lower gears.

specter208

We have tons of new natural gas trucks with the “radar” spinny on the top of the rear. They also have 2 driver fans. I drove one during a warm day, the rear seemed to be almost ambient temps, and the 2 fans are a huge diff. I’m going to cry like a baby to get one in my bid route in the next couple of months

they are not necessary slower, the power to me feels the same, it’s just that the shift points set by the ecu are much lower in the lower gears.
I was in a p1200 6.0 gas and the truck wouldn’t downshift out of 4th gear trying to merge with freeway going uphill too.