New PAStime

foundinload

Our building is finally converting to PAS/EDD. I am a preloader that has been offered a job dealing with the pkgs that have a blank SPA label (sounds almost like clerk type work). What is this job called? And what is it like? Should I take it?

Sounds like DA (Data Acquisition). It's where all the packages go that don't get a PAS label. It is a clerk type job - very similar to being an ECS clerk. You just type in the address info of the package and print out a PAS label for it. Repeat 1000 times daily.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Take the position, you'll probably start 15-30 minutes later(more sleep). You'll still get your hours because you may end up doing the card sends, damges etc. . There is almost no lifting, just pulling & pushing.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our clerk that does that job is VERY busy. I've worked on preload occasionally when I didn't drive and needed to double shift to get 8 hours. I usually split the belt (pushing packages one way or another depending on what the SPA Label said) and every time a SPA Label was blank I'd have to place the package on rollers that go to the clerk. Sometimes it seemed like a couple of packages out of every ten had blank labels. Plus, there are many addresses that are put on hold every day and the system is set up so that the SPA Labels will say "HOLD" on them. We have to give those to the clerk too. If you can type good then you will have little trouble but if you can't then it might be hard to keep up. I'd take the job regardless. That or the job where you'd be one of the guys that puts the labels on the packages.

dunderchief

These positions are called DCAP (Data Capture). The job is physically easier than preloading. Most DCAPers in my bldg get less time than most others. Find out if you are going to retain your $1 extra skilled rate.

You will probably find your workload shrink as time goes by and management takes your work by increasing the amount of package information they "scrub."

Good Luck!

Mike Hawk

At my center you get a lot of overtime, but that’s because we have no morning OMS and most of those duties get dumped on you. When I backup clerk I start half an hour or so later than everyone and stay 1.5 hours later than everyone, finishing up address corrections, and dealing with will call customers. We only have one clerk so the more clerks you have the more those duties will be spread out and the less OT you will get. I would recommend taking it, its EZ money.

Mike Hawk

At our center it is a skilled job, being that you get paid the +$1, however our special (ed.) management pays unloaders that +1 too. I do however think it is a skilled position, knowing how to correct all the possible different flaws in an address are a skill, knowing when that street doesn't exist in a zip code and knowing where that street does takes skill, knowing when an address is correct but still comes up Not In System takes skill, and being able to do it as fast as the sort goes takes skill. This is just my experience in my small center, we only have 1 clerk so that person gets to do everything, in a larger center you may be one of many and just fix blank labels.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
At my center it is a skilled position with maximum hours due to the fact that customer errors on shipping labels can be present until the sort is down so a "DCAPer" is usually on the clock until right before Drivers go on road. it also widens your skills within the company leaving room for advancement, it's much more to the company besides trucks and packages.

ikoi62

Preload clerks are usually veteran drivers that just opted to bid on a perfered inside job that's why the pay is equal.
Around here so are the pm clerks and customer counter clerks and hub clerks also.and the porters as well.

Mike Hawk

Wow I didn't think a friend/t driver could take a preload position. So if a driver doesn't feel like delivering anymore he can bump a preloader and still work friend/t?

ikoi62

Wow I didn't think a friend/t driver could take a preload position. So if a driver doesn't feel like delivering anymore he can bump a preloader and still work friend/t?
No these jobs have never been preload pt jobs they have only been ft jobs and only ft people can bid on them. you put your name on a transfer list and when a job opens if your next you get it. once your in your in.if another clerk retires or transfers to another building his job is up for bid in building first if nobody takes it it goes to a clerk transfer list if it is still open then it goes to a driver to clerk list.

LKLND3380

Our building is finally converting to PAS/EDD. I am a preloader that has been offered a job dealing with the pkgs that have a blank SPA label (sounds almost like clerk type work). What is this job called? And what is it like? Should I take it?

Data Ac... You look up addresses 123 Main St well it might be 123 S. Main or 123 N. Main... easy work