New Preloader: How to load three trucks at once?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Preloading was so much easier when you could sort your cages and not get slammed with full cages the last couple of revs.

Heh, we get light cages?

The problem with the last moments of the sort is the air. Instead of spreading out the air slowly threw each cage, they rather cram it all into one. You'll get cages with low amounts, ones, twos and threes. Then comes the 3-5 cages with almost ten packages or more in it.

The chargers dont help either. They have one of the simplistic jobs in the HUB, yet they still screw it up, and take forever in doing so. I've been asked by many PT charging sups if I would rather be a charger. I said " I'd love to, you can ask the FT about it, but it will never happen ".

Funny, at peak I keep my 3 cars. They cut, or should, cut out buisness from one car and fill it with work for three helpers. A P10 getting 500-600 packages is quite the challenge. People only go threw a month or 2 in peak. I on the other hand will go about 6 months of peak. First buisness, then Christmas and lastly the conventions during the start of the year, January and February.

Things will get easier in time. The real issue is working your cages. The cages dont forgive and they never forget. To work your cages better, go for the larger stuff inside the cage. Make the pieces within cage neat and pushed to the sides and labels or slaps out ( hopefully the idiot chargers wont mess up your piles, which they will ). Keep telling yourself " dont take too much time inside the car ". Always check twice, multi-carry and check whats in your hands and on into the car as you enter. You want to not stop yourself each time for going into the same car.

This tip is gold. On Friday, I was labeling the packages in the cages and sorting them before I loaded them and ended up finishing early that day! My sup was even happy with my performance.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You will be loading 4 trucks Monday.

More like 10. He better hopes they don't work him to death. Monday is going to be so fun, my ft supervisor won't be there for the whole week and the only two persons who are going to be there thats going to be in charged are the manager and his puppet the pt supervisor. The only reason why I work with any urgency is because I'm a little cool with the ft supervisor. Can't wait....

If you're on a boxline, presort each cage if you can I to separate stacks for each PC. Put your smalls tubs behind the second PC in line and grab a small EVERY TIME you walk by it. Grab the largest items out of the cage to make more room in it. Load it like you have to deliver it!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
PAS has dictated that no matter how fast you can get into a car with something. The designated load position will have already been filled up with random, disorganized crap. Even if the numbers are in perfect order.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The suit monkeys don't understand car loads: Bulk, resi, top shelf, middle shelf, bulkhead, rear, tax services, screenprinters, comic shops. Yet they have absolute control over where I place package X. No wonder the preload is wrapping slow, 200 pieces easily looks like 350 pieces shoveled in and blown to bits with a nuclear bomb.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
Hi everyone.

I am a relatively new preloader (2 week) at UPS and I am responsible for loading three adjacent trucks, 1 by the PAL label and the other two by the physical address. The residential truck gets between 300 to 500 packages, while the other two generally get around 250 to 300 packages each.

I was wondering if current or past preloaders could share with me what strategies have worked out for the job or maybe a few pointers on how to load the three trucks successfully?

My biggest concern is getting the driver's out on time because I have failed to do so every time my first week even with the help of my supervisor. In the beginning the drivers appeared to be ok with leaving late since I was new, but now it is my second week on the job and i think the drivers are starting to get irritated. My Sup told me to load three packages per cage as opposed to the 4 packages per minute, but I am finding the former to be a herculean task.

I need help please!!!
Listen newbie. Work as you are told/directed by the sulervisors. Once you have made your 30 working days (assuming since youve been here 2 weeks, thats maybe 10 work days) then you can start loading like everyone else.
But listen, ups doesnt work like other jobs at other companies. There are a lot of "politics" you'll start seeing after you make your 30 days.
There are methods to loading. Methods that keep you safe and help you load efficiently. And if you dont finish your 3 trucks bt the time drivers have to leave, its not because of your work ethic. Its managements fault and they will try to blame you.
Management will not give you the correct amount of time to finish and most times it doesnt matter. Because if they dont start the unload early enough, your cages will get slammed by the end of the morning and you wont be able to sort ur cages or pull and load "efficiently".

So listen. Shutup and do what they tell you to do. Dont complain. And as much as that supervisors should not be "helping" you, just work and do ur best.
Thats uspervisor isnt legally allowed to touch the boxes and i know you think they are helping you but trust me its not you or the drivers that they are helping by doing that.

Long story short ive loaded as many as 10 trucks thats 4 sets in 5 to 6 hours during preload. I know their bull:censored2: game they play.

This would be a great read for many new preloaders to read. Lots of good info in here, when I had 3+ to do I would first recognize my lightest car, then my heaviest. Then do a swooping pattern down the belt stacking like packages together and giving them and good push against the flow and work my way back up and do it again.

It is a lot of effort dealing with 3 or more cars just remember the guy down the way from you has to look at everything plus yours. Get his back when you can and they’ll probably start stacking yours for you.

PTPunchingBag

Hi everyone.

I am a relatively new preloader (2 week) at UPS and I am responsible for loading three adjacent trucks, 1 by the PAL label and the other two by the physical address. The residential truck gets between 300 to 500 packages, while the other two generally get around 250 to 300 packages each.

I was wondering if current or past preloaders could share with me what strategies have worked out for the job or maybe a few pointers on how to load the three trucks successfully?

My biggest concern is getting the driver's out on time because I have failed to do so every time my first week even with the help of my supervisor. In the beginning the drivers appeared to be ok with leaving late since I was new, but now it is my second week on the job and i think the drivers are starting to get irritated. My Sup told me to load three packages per cage as opposed to the 4 packages per minute, but I am finding the former to be a herculean task.

I need help please!!!

Personally what I do is I get everything in my truck as fast as I can. Every morning my set is one of the cleanest on the entire belt. I work the first three cars which means I have to load, sort the belt, sort the PO chute and try not to miss my boxes while 20 others pass at the same time. Just get them all in the truck as fast as possible, and at the end of the shift or if you have a quick second (never work on break) go through the cars 1000-4000s sections and try to fix it up stop for stop while also checking for misloads. You can prevent misloads and help out your drivers a ton. Usually only takes me about 5-10 minutes at the end of my shift to go through them as I try to make the drivers days a little bit better.

Johnny123456789

Hi everyone.

I need help please!!!

Just try your hardest and work safe. Don't listen to the full time drivers. They're just a bunch of disgruntled ass clowns.

Hot Carl

When working off a conveyor belt, always start at the front of your work area and work in the direction that the belt moves. Load the front truck first and work your way to the back. Let the belt do most of the carrying. Work belt-to-car first and foremost. Scan it, put it away, get back out for the next one. Try loading as many packages as you safely can into a truck at once.

Avoid stacking as much as possible. That just makes a mess of your work area. But also try not to miss too many of your packages. Sure everyone's busy, but if you aren't pulling your weight, the next thing you'll hear down-belt is "Hey 66, 67 you're missing all your :censored2:!"

Try to scan everything to avoid misloads. Don't worry about your "PPH" or any other dumb :censored2: a supervisor will bring up.

Keep bulk stops together and put the biggest ones on the floor. Keep trucks as neat and organized as possible. This is probably the hardest thing to do given the ridiculous time constraints we're under.

specter208

I recommend you stay ahead of your cars and stack all packages and build optimum carries before the packages reach your car. I try to walk or slide the packages myself to the cars if possible to stay ahead of the flow. Sometimes this isn't possible if your flow is really heavy or have many irregs coming down the belt. If you have to stack, I try to stack inside the cars and throw some smalls onto an empty shelf to reach them easier. When you recover from getting slammed, walk into the truck with your packages and grab 1 or 2 off of your stack and load. Try to reduce the amount of time you are inside and try not move packages around as much as possible.

Also, in time you will learn that your cars will get certain packages consistently. Memorize where those packages go.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hi everyone.

I need help please!!!
i quit