new retro checks

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I found out today I was underpaid. I walked in and got a sheet of paper saying UPS still owes me $22 and some change. :happy-very:

I believe it was anything up to $100 would be taken out in a single pay period, $101-$300 would be taken out over 3 pay periods, and $301-$1000 would be taken out over 5 pay periods.

I was still half asleep when they were telling us that at 3am but I do think I remember that part of our super weak preload PCM correctly.
That was their proposal and only that. WE have to agree to a withdrawal from our paycheck. You could refuse altogether but then they could sue you civilly to recover the funds.

Bottom line is THE COMPANY made the error not us and while we can agree to fix their mistake for them...they can't legally impose a rapid recovery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is not Monopoly where a bank error nets you $200. This is real life and while it is true that the error was theirs, not yours, it does not mean that you get to keep the money.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The difference is they have ay power to garnish your check whether you like it or not.

If you knew that you had been overpaid, you must have known they would want their money back.
Wrong Attorney Dave. In most states the employee has to agree to it and in some states it is not allowed at all even if the employee agrees to it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
...the employer may not simply take the money out of the employee’s paycheck without the employee’s permission. Doing so will be a violation of various wage and hour laws which preclude an employer unilaterally withholding or deducting money (other than for FICA, of course). An employee could voluntarily choose to allow an employer to deduct money from a paycheck, but that has to be fully recorded or memorialized in written form to prevent any recriminations or misunderstandings. If the employee refuses to allow his or her employer to simply take the money out of the employee’s paycheck and doesn’t otherwise repay the money, the employer may be forced to sue him or her for its return...
http://employment-law.freeadvice.co.../employee-obligation-to-repay-overpayment.htm

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
This is not Monopoly where a bank error nets you $200. This is real life and while it is true that the error was theirs, not yours, it does not mean that you get to keep the money.
If I was a part timer ,making the near minimum wage they pay those guys ,the day they told me that would be my last. Lol. can't take money out of your check if your not getting one!!!!!:hapydancsmil:

J

jibbs

That was their proposal and only that. WE have to agree to a withdrawal from our paycheck. You could refuse altogether but then they could sue you civilly to recover the funds.

Bottom line is THE COMPANY made the error not us and while we can agree to fix their mistake for them...they can't legally impose a rapid recovery.

Ha! They definitely didn't mention that. I'm just glad most PTers I work with were underpaid rather than overpaid.

BrownBrokeDown

I work with a guy (pter) who was overpaid by almost $600. They told him to put 3 in the paychecks to have it withheld from slot. I told after the shift to immediately talk with a steward. As a pter, 3 paychecks will be gone doing it this way.

iowa boy

They didn't mention it because it does not apply to this situation.

UPS will garnish their checks with or without their "permission".

I know here in Iowa they have to go to court and win a judgment against the individual before they can serve the garnishment papers to the individual.

One a side note, they hit me with the overpayment letter also. I offered to write them a check to be done with it, but I can't do that. It has to be a wage assignment out of my check so they can draw out the pain.

upschuck

One a side note, they hit me with the overpayment letter also. I offered to write them a check to be done with it, but I can't do that. It has to be a wage assignment out of my check so they can draw out the pain.
So you offered to pay it back, and they didn't want it. Get that in writing, that might be legal that you don't owe them. Try to pay in cash, because that is "legal tender for all debts, public and private", just make sure you get a receipt for it, of course. If they don't take it then you have no debt to them.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you were overpaid and they show you why you were accidentally overpaid and you agree with it, then just give the money back.

First off, it's about being an adult. Second, Karma will always come back and get you. Lastly, they will get their money back anyways eventually so don't be a :censored2:.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I agree but the CMs are being told to try to strongarm guys in progression not making much money to repay over $1K in a very short period of time when they have already spent the retro in good faith that the company did their due diligence and paid us properly. I'm one of the people affected (although my repayment amount isn't anywhere near what the other guys are) and I'll gladly repay it at a reasonable rate once the union gives us the green light.

Bottom rung

I agree but the CMs are being told to try to strongarm guys in progression not making much money to repay over $1K in a very short period of time when they have already spent the retro in good faith that the company did their due diligence and paid us properly. I'm one of the people affected (although my repayment amount isn't anywhere near what the other guys are) and I'll gladly repay it at a reasonable rate once the union gives us the green light.
Were you told not to pay by the union?