New seasonal employee wants to file grievances

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Make sure the first call that you make after UPS tells you that you are done is to the union hall to request a refund of both the initiation fee and any dues that you had to pay to date. Seasonal employees should not be taken advantage of like this.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I’m a seasonal hired as a PVD I had to sign union paperwork $300 initiation fee to the local union and union dues like everyone else(to work a month).. so if the union is forcing seasonal workers to pay union dues how do you guys get off saying they aren’t union, or can’t file grievances?

You haven't passed your probationary period.

Bioweapon

I worked a full week before they handed me the paperwork.. I was confused and more or less told the manager I’d be happy to pay the union fees if I was able to stay on but paying $300 plus the regular monthly dues for working a month didn’t make any sense to me at all. I asked him what would happen if I don’t sign it.. he told me I wouldn’t be able to work.

MattM

You haven't passed your probationary period.

What is it now? I forget the process when I first started. I want to say it was 30 days then you sign the papers. But the fees didn't come all at once. It was $25 for a 10 week period. And youd also have the regular dues. So it became $25-25-25-47-25-25-25-47-25-25-25-25-47.

When I first started I was seasonal. They held all fees until they knew you were permanent. So those that made the cut had fees taken out starting in January.

PVDs complicate the matters

Bioweapon

They’re taking $50 off each check. Last year I saw where the took the full $500 (not sure if other union locals are higher fees) but the female seasonal driver was left with $14 on her check the week before Christmas.

Methods Man

Varies by local. IMO they shouldn't have to pay anything at all if they are only going to be here 30 working days or less.

Although I don’t think they should have to pay initiation fee’s, but I can warrant paying dues every month ONLY if you get union representation and not let stupid situations like posted above happen. Even if he didn’t get his “guarantee” hours, they should get paid for the time they spent there because of UPS’ lack of planning yet again.

What is it now? I forget the process when I first started. I want to say it was 30 days then you sign the papers. But the fees didn't come all at once. It was $25 for a 10 week period. And youd also have the regular dues. So it became $25-25-25-47-25-25-25-47-25-25-25-25-47.

When I first started I was seasonal. They held all fees until they knew you were permanent. So those that made the cut had fees taken out starting in January.

PVDs complicate the matters
If I remember right, you signed up for the Union when you were hired. One of the bunch of papers we had to sign with the application. But initiation fees or dues did not come out until you were hired permanent. I know it was no where near $300.

quad decade guy

All interesting points of view. However, any which way.....he's going to be "do not rehire".

A seasonal filing? Around here, see ya. If he/she was smart, shut up and take the bs. Can't imagine

a faster way to not have a job.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it's a valid question. does he punch in when called in and then punch out when sent home?
should be paid.
god , give UPS an inch and they will take 10 miles.......slavery ended a couple years ago dininit?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Varies by local. IMO they shouldn't have to pay anything at all if they are only going to be here 30 working days or less.
They wont have to pay it again if they get hired on after peak. Less of a hit when you are getting as many hours you can handle as opposed to the lean time when you first start

it's a valid question. does he punch in when called in and then punch out when sent home?
should be paid.
god , give UPS an inch and they will take 10 miles.......slavery ended a couple years ago dininit?
Punch in on what and where is a time card. Sup just tells you he will keep track of your time. They pull this on seniority people all the time. Especially when double shifting.

Dr.Brownz

How would you feel if you were told to come in to work, stood around for a few hours and were then told to go home? You'd be pissed to.

It shouldn't matter what your status is-----if you are scheduled to work and show up it should not be your fault if you are not put to work.

LOL so now you want UPS to honor some imaginary thing you FEEL is right.