New to the forum

ups_vette

When I started with UPS as a driver in 1963, I was the 6th driver in a 6 driver Center. Two weeks later another driver was hired, and every two weeks after a new driver was put on the payroll. After there were twelve drivers working, our manager hired a new man for a new position, Porter / Car Washer This was a combination job. He started work at 4am, would wash the cars, unload the feeder for the driver sort & load, and finish up cleaning the building. He was paid 50 cents an hour less than the drivers, which was $2.15 an hour at that time. As the company grew and the volume increased, additional drivers were hired. Within a year the Porter / Car Washer job became too muuch for one person and a new Car Washer was hired and the original guy was strictly a Porter. The full time Porter job still exists in the Center I started in. Iit is a job classification liisted in the local supplement. Like some have said, it became the job the most senior drivers aspire to have, to spend their last few years in a less stressful position.