New to UPS

Byam

Hello all,

I am new to UPS, I will be starting next week as a package handler working the 5 - 10 PM shift. Since I've never worked in a warehouse, or for UPS before I was wondering what should I expect my first day/week? Is this loading, or unloading? Or could it be either? (unsure if only one shift loads and the other only unloads)

Is it really as fast paced as the HR person said it is? What if I can't keep up my first week or so? I was also told you can bring things in to drink on the job (water, pop, etc...) but you have to empty the containers before you leave. Is that true, if so why?

Thanks for any all info you can give me, I want my first week to be as smooth as possible.

Byam

trickpony1

They want you to empty your containers before you walk through the guard shack to assure you aren't stealing anything (rings, cell phones, other small items).
If you are working 5-10 pm it probably isn't preload (where one person loads 3-5 little brown delivery trucks.)
My guess is you will either be loading or unloading. Be sure to wear loose, comfortable clothing as you will be moving around quite a lot and it may get hot. Also wear clothes that you don't mind if they get dirty.
Expect to have alot of information thrust at you all at once. It'll be okay....it will all fall into place as the days go by.
If you normally are not physically active you may be sore after the first few days but it will alleviate.
Good luck.

Working4TheBene's

It depends on the size of the center/hub you will be working at. If it's a largeer place, then yo will start with all the watching of the safety videos, etc. and occasionally going to practice what you learned... If it's a smaller place, then everything is hands on... In either case, I would think for the 5-10, it will probably be unloading first, then loading trailers.

Just wear clothing appropriate for the weather, keeping in mind that inside the facility, it will be either much colder or hotter. In the winter time, all the bay doors will be open and if you are in the trailers, you will sweat, then you will freeze.

Other than that, ususally they provide a water cooler... somewhere. Just remember to stretch before and during you shift. And yes, more thatn likely, for the first couple of weeks, you will be sore and poor.... union and initiation fees.....

Good luck!!

Byam

Thanks guys. It's Tampa so I would assume it is one of the bigger warehouse. It's the only one I've ever seen so I can say for sure if it is or not. As for cold, this is my first year in Florida, I'm from the north where the average high in January is 29 so I'm not too worried about getting cold down here this year.

Byam

Working4TheBene's

It's not the cold as it is the temp adjustment from inside the trailers as oppose to inside the building as it is to the temp outside.... And it is like that in the summer time too.... temp differences....

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
If you get put on the unload, just remember "Labels UP!" When I was on the sort aisle I had an unloader that just couldn't grasp the simplicity of it.