new union

30andout

trickpony1 said:
What generation am I from?
I've probably been around as long, if not longer, than you.
Trick I doubt you been there 34 years, but I wasn't refering to your post, that was good stuff.

trickpony1

You're right...I haven't been there 34 years, just 28.

You and I must be from the same generation, you know..........
-when loyalty was a two way street,
-when employers helped out an employee who had unexpected and unasked for health problems,
-when an employee had a right to expect a job for life as long as he did a fair days work for a fair day's pay,
-when employees weren't thrown out like yesterdays trash when they got older and not quite as fast,
-when employees weren't fired for some trumped up chickens**t reason when they filed worker's comp (like we are all lieing),
-when an employee was proud to say he works for.........

What ever happened to those days?

Sorry if I offended you with the "I been around longer".....post.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick

UPS used to be that way. But it is big business. You have insurance to handle the
employee who had unexpected and unasked for health problems
, and were proud of the loyalty of its drivers by allowing them to work as long as they physically could. But of course now there are all those people that want our jobs that are willing to work harder than we are......

Add to your list when a company trusted its employees to deliver the routes smart, because they knew the territory the best and figured out all the short cuts. Not some pencilnecked computer geek who couldn't figure his way out of a paper bag without help.

Or when drivers stuck together to help each other out, even against the company, but were not interested in covering for a thief, liar, or someone that would not pull their own weight.

Everything in the work area is changing. And very few of them are for the better. Its not just at UPS either, its everywhere.

One thing is for sure, the personal touch at UPS is gone for the employee. And now UPS is trying to get rid of that personal touch that we have had for the customer. Shame.

d

ikoi62

dannyboy said:
Trick

UPS used to be that way. But it is big business. You have insurance to handle the , and were proud of the loyalty of its drivers by allowing them to work as long as they physically could. But of course now there are all those people that want our jobs that are willing to work harder than we are......

Add to your list when a company trusted its employees to deliver the routes smart, because they knew the territory the best and figured out all the short cuts. Not some pencilnecked computer geek who couldn't figure his way out of a paper bag without help.

Or when drivers stuck together to help each other out, even against the company, but were not interested in covering for a thief, liar, or someone that would not pull their own weight.

Everything in the work area is changing. And very few of them are for the better. Its not just at UPS either, its everywhere.

One thing is for sure, the personal touch at UPS is gone for the employee. And now UPS is trying to get rid of that personal touch that we have had for the customer. Shame.

d

i remember those days...21 years here...

DS

Fenderbender
hollerhead,I think curiosity will bring you back to see how we would respond to your post.I agree with aspenleaf that you were way too quick to blow us off so quickly.The points about the pension owed to the thousands of upsers were all valid.And the web site throws out amounts of pension that seems high for a new union with no money to start with.
A lot of us are unhappy with the teamsters.We would welcome a better alternative if we could get back a fair amount of the $ to retire on.
I hope you dont work for them because you have a short fuse,and this is actually a very good forum for open minded people to express thier opinions.

tieguy

Banned
Hollerhead said:
Guys this UNION is FOR REAL. We will get OUR Pension back to better than it was before.

HOW?

Union dues will DECREASE and benefits will be better.

HOW?

I am a founding charter member. If any of the founding charter members are not satisfied with the leadership in the APWA they have the right and authority to kick them out for life. You will also be represented by this UNION EVEN if you aren't a member. And yes the Teamsters are getting nervous. why do you think they are wanting ALL OF A SUDDEN to start talks with UPS this early. That has never happened this early before in the past. There are new members signing up in just about every center. check out the web site mentioned above..

Did you know that the TEAMSTERS allowed for an illegal contract with UPS. Any contract that is more than 3 years with a labor company or UNION is illegal unless agreed upon between both parties.

The teamsters agreed to it and voted for it. Are you saying UPS the other party did not agree to a six year contract?

A 6 year contract should have never been even thought of. Our Teamsters UNION illegally raised UNION dues without the vote of it's members.

Translation the current union raised your dues without your approval therefore you should vote for a new union even if its not qualified?
The devil is in the details. I have seen you and your people posting for what two years now? With no details on how you will pull off all the miracles you are promising.

Now a question. If you get voted in and take over the current pension money and rebuild viable healthy pension plans then you would probably have to pay some type of penalty?

Therefore If you really have a better idea would it be better to administer this revolutionary new idea through the current union?

If you're legit then I think you ought to start providing some details. JMHO

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Two thoughts from me.

IF something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Choices are good. It keeps the providers of those choices on their toes to provide the best options for the employees, at the least cost.

d

over9five

Staff member
"Choices are good."

So is change. The Teamsters have had a monopoly here a long time. Not saying I'd vote the Teamsters out (but I might).

I welcome the APWA onto the scene. Throw out some new ideas. You can be sure Teamster management has taken notice.

If nothing else, the APWA is a wake-up call.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
jobmann said:
has anybody heard this??? got a letter from teamsters seem worried

Since you addressed me in the post I will give you a response here instead of a PM.

As the Admin of this website I have a responsibility to try and prevent Internet scams from being spread by use of this site. Please feel free to correct me but here are FACTS I know about the so-called AWPA:

1. They are not a union.
2. There is no paperwork filed with the United States Department of Labor regarding theso-called AWPA and no such body exists.
3. The AWPA has not held any election for anything.
4. The AWPA has not disclosed any information about its finances or where and how much money it gets or spends.
5. The AWPA intentionally is deceptive and hides the information reletive to registrar of the website.
6. The AWPA has no physical address.
7. The AWPA asks for money.
8. No aspect of the AWPA can be confirmed as legitimate.
9. People have purposefully tried to create multiple identities to deceive the audience of this website.
10. Not one person claiming to be with AWPA will not answer the simple question of whether they have ever represented any union member for anything, even as shop steward.

To this point I think I have been more than fair considering the facts regarding the AWPA.

The only name put to this fraud is Francis T. Coleman. Here is what Mr. Francis T. Colemans firm has to do with regards to Labor and Employment:
The Labor & Employment Section of Williams Mullen provides ongoing labor and employment advice and counsel to a variety of businesses in the United States and throughout the world. The Section's attorneys represent clients in a number of sophisticated labor management relations issues, complex employment lawsuits, and intricate human resources problems.

Services
Advise and counsel on a variety of complicated human resources issues
Defense of employment-related lawsuits in all courts
Drafting Affirmative Action Plans and conducting OFCCP audits
Enforcing non-compete and other employment agreements
Experienced in Alternative Dispute Resolution
Proactive labor management representation

Sample Representations

* Protected client interests in connection with injunctions in labor disputes, including recognitional strikes, unfair labor practice strikes, and economic work stoppage.
* Defeated union organizing attempts for clients in major manufacturing sectors, such as steel, paper, health care, printing, construction and mining.
* Represented clients in decertification of unions.
* Negotiated several long-term labor agreements, including work rule and health insurance concessions for Fortune 500 companies.
* Defended matters before the National Labor Relations Board and handled appeals of NLRB orders before various U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
* Represented employers in grievance and arbitration matters arising under collective bargaining agreements.
* Representation in various state and federal courts for companies accused of discrimination, wrongful discharge, wage and hour violations, ERISA violations, defamation, and unfair labor practices and in numerous appeals before state and federal appellate courts throughout the United States on a variety of labor and employment issues for employers.
* Representation of employers enforcing noncompete agreements, employment contracts, confidentiality agreements and protection of trade secrets.
* Represented companies before the EEOC, the DOL, the OFCCP, and various state anti-discrimination agencies.
* Conducted labor and employment due diligence for clients contemplating acquisitions and divestitures to ensure compliance with state and federal employment laws.
* Prepared affirmative action plans and assisted with OFCCP audits.
* Trained all levels of management for a variety of employers in union avoidance, conducting workplace investigations, preventing unlawful harassment and discrimination, implementing successful progressive discipline techniques, using lawful techniques to hire, retain and terminate and defending against employment lawsuits.
* Provided on-going counseling to companies in all areas of human resource management, including, but not limited to, employment agreements, covenants not to compete, substance abuse policies, OSHA, personnel practices, severance and release agreements, plant closings, relocations, and layoffs.

Attorneys
D. Earl Baggett IV
Beth Hirsch Berman
Steven D. Brown
David C. Burton
M. Eve G. Campbell
Francis T. (Tom) Coleman

Come on please tell me I am wrong. Nospin, please tell me that this lawyer is not affiliated with anyone claiming to be pro-employee?

At this point I am not inclined to do anything.

Until the so-called AWPA is registered with the DOL and has a physical address and has a fairly elected leadership of some kind and does not solicit money I will not change my position. The AWPA dialog needs to be in one place so that before anyone gets suckered out of any money by information on THIS website they have all the discussions at hand first.

One thing I would like to suggest to these folks would be to put a open forum up on their website if they are not satisfied with their treatment here. I already know the answer but if this AWPA has nothing to hide, why do they keep hiding?

-Phil
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_189350--><!-- THE POST -->

wily_old_vet

BUG-I agree with all your points but your post is very misleading. You ARE NOT the administrator of Brown Cafe. You are admin at TeamsterNet. Looks like you copied a post from a thread there to here. A little disengenuous on your part.

ups79

I was reading the article in the louisville business journal and wondering what van skillman(better known to all of us on this board as sawman)has done with the $150.00 he and feeder has collected from people today interested in forming this new union. Poor guy had he had just 1/4 pension credit more we would of never heard of him.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
BigUnionGuy said:
As the Admin of this website I have a responsibility to try and prevent Internet scams from being spread by use of this site.
Sorry BigUnionGuy, you're not an administrator here.

wily_old_vet said:
BUG-I agree with all your points but your post is very misleading. You ARE NOT the administrator of Brown Cafe. You are admin at TeamsterNet. Looks like you copied a post from a thread there to here. A little disengenuous on your part.
Thank you for pointing that out Wily. He probably did just copy and paste that post and forgot to edit out the administrator reference.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I can see where that is confusing. It was not my intent to do so.

But along the same line.... That is the sort of thing the APWA does.

:wink:

paco

I am fine as a teamster. I just see this as a ploy to weaken the union that is in place. I am not saying conspiracy by UPS but something's amiss.

Let us look forward to the 2008 negotiations, do your part and put your surveys in.

30andout

ups79 said:
I was reading the article in the louisville business journal and wondering what van skillman(better known to all of us on this board as sawman)has done with the $150.00 he and feeder has collected from people today interested in forming this new union. Poor guy had he had just 1/4 pension credit more we would of never heard of him.
79 I hope you know this as a fact, I know Van personally and I assure you he doesn't have the spare time to post on this board.

wkmac

BigUnionGuy,

I do have one question that I hope you will answer and that is are you a UPS employee? Just curious!

Thanks.