New video for the NEW DRIVERS

RoswellHub

Put this video together for the new drivers to give them some tips and knowledge. Spread the word please and leave a comment. Even the ones that are trolls ;)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
53C91E58-7BFF-4C4B-9E32-B7D0CCC92FBF.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why would the Union ever solicit an extension of the qualifying period?

Why would the Company ever agree?

....so much liability in regards to those who aren't granted an "extension".

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

To keep them as help for longer without consequences

RoswellHub

Depends on who our center manager is or even sometimes our division manager if they will allow extensions. I have seen drivers get extensions and qualify, because they got better. Hell even one time I saw a driver qualify, because they forgot to disqualify them again.

The company will grant extensions sometimes because they are desperate for drivers. And I have seen times were they disqualified every driver that came through because they didn't need drivers. I feel like qualifying is literally just depending on how desperate they are at the time for drivers and if you can do the job.

Of course the company sniffs out the run and gunners, they want those drivers the most. But a couple years ago they were turning those guys away as well. It is almost like a lottery system with them I swear.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Depends on who our center manager is or even sometimes our division manager if they will allow extensions. I have seen drivers get extensions and qualify, because they got better. Hell even one time I saw a driver qualify, because they forgot to disqualify them again.

The company will grant extensions sometimes because they are desperate for drivers. And I have seen times were they disqualified every driver that came through because they didn't need drivers. I feel like qualifying is literally just depending on how desperate they are at the time for drivers and if you can do the job.

Of course the company sniffs out the run and gunners, they want those drivers the most. But a couple years ago they were turning those guys away as well. It is almost like a lottery system with them I swear.
I think you missed the point?

It is not solely up to the Company, or the Union.

....and to allow it for one trainee, then deny it for the next, is a huge liability for the both sides.

30 days in a 90 day period is what it is and was mutually negotiated.

No extensions in my local, period.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

....and to allow it for one trainee, then deny it for the next, is a huge liability for the both sides.

My local granted dozens of extensions this past summer. I agree with your stance. Locally our stance is if they weren’t extended they would be DQ’d so might as well let them try with the extension.

RoswellHub

I see where you are coming from, the extensions were placed by our local and not by me. They have been doing this before I walked in the door as a steward so I really can't turn back the clock on this one. It is out of my hands.

542thruNthru

My local has granted a extension only a few times. My BA doesn't like to do extension because like you mentioned it isn't fair to the member that's waiting his turn or the other members that were DQ and not given a chance for a extension.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My local has granted a extension only a few times.

Same here.

The only reason it was considered, was because of extenuating (documented) circumstances.

Some training routes you can't scratch. Or, there was a fatality on the highway and they closed it down. Etc.

I agree with @Bubblehead. (to an extent)

Just as with discharge cases, every case is based on its merits.

And, they were always signed off on as "Based on the facts presented, and with no precedent set...."

Negotiation, is a part of doing business in a Union environment.

-Bug-

What'dyabringmetoday???

My local is super strong. Lol.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Same here.

The only reason it was considered, was because of extenuating (documented) circumstances.

Some training routes you can't scratch. Or, there was a fatality on the highway and they closed it down. Etc.

I agree with @Bubblehead. (to an extent)

Just as with discharge cases, every case is based on its merits.

And, they were always signed off on as "Based on the facts presented, and with no precedent set...."

Negotiation, is a part of doing business in a Union environment.

-Bug-
And generally giving UPS whatever they want....lol.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

They've been granting shorter disqualification periods. As opposed to outright extensions
From my own experience, they only care if you can ride the bicycle and make numbers, even though both of those really are not indicative of a longer-term safe or sane driver.