New Video! The Great Lunch Debate!

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Bottom line, lunch is a tool and one I will defend in the contract without exception.. but not every job requires every tool. You don’t use a wrench to remove a bolt if it’s loose enough to turn by hand,

I’ll keep the lunch tool in my tool box, and use it when I need it.
👍

AKCoverMan

Perhaps. I may have taken my lunch later on some routes, but I always took the hr.
I also didn’t load my own truck either so, go with god.
They talking about implementing a preload out here… misloads will be big issue our area is size of small eastern state But with way fewer roads… I’ve had misload add hour plus and many miles to my day but it’s damn rare right now because I load my own truck. When we start seeing multiple ones per day it’s gonna get interesting.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
They talking about implementing a preload out here… misloads will be big issue our area is size of small eastern state But with way fewer roads… I’ve had misload add hour plus and many miles to my day but it’s damn rare right now because I load my own truck. When we start seeing multiple ones per day it’s gonna get interesting.
I’ll bet.

Appvol

And getting home after 2100 every week night and not pursuing any of my non UPS interests is a tool to destroy my sanity and quality of life. Yes your body needs that break if your touching 400 Peices or more a day. I bitch when I have over 100. Peices, not stops. My route (and Appvol’s it sounds like) is more about miles both driven and walked. One hour sitting in cab doing nothing will not preserve my health, I spend enough time in my “office” already.
Yep but I have a satellite route. Don’t start delivering till about 11:15 or later after loading the truck. Might have 15 business stops a day. If I have 90 plus stops and over 70 miles it’s hard for me to make 9/5. Taking a hour lunch don’t help me just gets me home at 9pm and less time with the family.

AKCoverMan

Yep but I have a satellite route. Don’t start delivering till about 11:15 or later after loading the truck. Might have 15 business stops a day. If I have 90 plus stops and over 70 miles it’s hard for me to make 9/5. Taking a hour lunch don’t help me just gets me home at 9pm and less time with the family.
Yup, almost identical except mine usually few more miles and few less stops. What part of the world are you in?

Were kinda a satellite morphing into centerhood, much like an awkward teenager stumbling into adulthood lol

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I don’t really care what management “acts” like, the contract rules.

You say that, but then go on to explain how the contract doesn’t quite rule in your situation.

Not that I care. I have been known to take a shorter lunch at times.

But, when almost no one takes a lunch, it becomes something like making us shine our shoes or making the company launder the uniforms. Something so arcane that it is laughable when one tries to enforce it. I’ll fight with management if need be, but I’m just saying if everybody actually took a damn lunch then it would never have to be a tool of any kind for either side…just a time to sit and eat like every other hourly employee in the country.

Appvol

Did your management ever try to claim that loading time doesn’t count toward 9.5 only on road time? We went a year going round and round on that argument. We won.
No and it don’t affect a 8hr request either. Our center files a lot of grievances. They fired a older driver Thursday for going to help another driver so he wouldn’t be out all night. They said because he didn’t call to get permission that he was just trying to run his miles up and be over 9/5. He got fired for 2 days he comes back Monday. It was the district manager that tried to fire him. She hates us.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
No and it don’t affect a 8hr request either. Our center files a lot of grievances. They fired a older driver Thursday for going to help another driver so he wouldn’t be out all night. They said because he didn’t call to get permission that he was just trying to run his miles up and be over 9/5. He got fired for 2 days he comes back Monday. It was the district manager that tried to fire him. She hates us.
It's comforting to know that UPS has ZERO problems and all of the DM's energy can be focused on an hourly helping an hourly.

AKCoverMan

You say that, but then go on to explain how the contract doesn’t quite rule in your situation.

Not that I care. I have been known to take a shorter lunch at times.

But, when almost no one takes a lunch, it becomes something like making us shine our shoes or making the company launder the uniforms. Something so arcane that it is laughable when one tries to enforce it. I’ll fight with management if need be, but I’m just saying if everybody actually took a damn lunch then it would never have to be a tool of any kind for either side…just a time to sit and eat like every other hourly employee in the country.
Yes and we all lose more time to work.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I don’t really care what management “acts” like, the contract rules. If I want unpaid lunch I’ll damn well take it, if not I won’t. Here, as I’ve said, many of us probably more than your 3/4 threshold do in fact skip lunch. Some take it every day (especially ones who live on route).

Worst I’ve heard from mgmt is from PT night OMS a trying to redispstch member to go help at 2015 and member deciding to take lunch from 2015-2115. Our supp also has a “no delivery after 2130 except by mutual consent” rule soooo…🤣

i kinds feel sorry for night OMS it’s s revolving door of young college kids using ups for education benefits.. they have the task of trying to clean up the mess the over dispatching has caused, while rest of managing goes home.

And getting home after 2100 every week night and not pursuing any of my non UPS interests is a tool to destroy my sanity and quality of life. Yes your body needs that break if your touching 400 Peices or more a day. I bitch when I have over 100. Peices, not stops. My route (and Appvol’s it sounds like) is more about miles both driven and walked. One hour sitting in cab doing nothing will not preserve my health, I spend enough time in my “office” already.

To an extent, yes, our state has some unique challenges. But i believe my arguments about forced unpaid Lunch apply to at least a few routes in almost every building, Certainly plenty of rural territory across lower 48 especially in the west.

Bottom line, lunch is a tool and one I will defend in the contract without exception.. but not every job requires every tool. You don’t use a wrench to remove a bolt if it’s loose enough to turn by hand,

I’ll keep the lunch tool in my tool box, and use it when I need it.

Yup, almost identical except mine usually few more miles and few less stops. What part of the world are you in?

Were kinda a satellite morphing into centerhood, much like an awkward teenager stumbling into adulthood lol

Yes and we all lose more time to work.

Runners gonna run.

:censored2:ing runner.

AKCoverMan

You may as well spit in my face before telling me 20 minutes is enough free time to eat out of a 10+ hour day. Any time a supervisor tries to suggest as much, my blood starts to boil lol.
Certainly not enough time if I’m going to a restaurant. But I’m eating a sandwich and a hot snack from the store I take my break at. 15 mins is plenty for that.. any longer and the parking lot gets boring. And I’m not spitting at all.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Certainly not enough time if I’m going to a restaurant. But I’m eating a sandwich and a hot snack from the store I take my break at. 15 mins is plenty for that.. any longer and the parking lot gets boring. And I’m not spitting at all.

Yeah sometimes I will just take the two 10s. It is enough time to physically eat. But I don’t find it to be enough time to actually get a mental break.

AKCoverMan

Yeah sometimes I will just take the two 10s. It is enough time to physically eat. But I don’t find it to be enough time to actually get a mental break.
Once again, it depends on route. Most Physical part of my day is first ninety minutes at sort. We get two 15s paid here. I use one for my packed lunch and one in PM either on road or at building to warm up my personal vehicle for ride home.

Appvol

Once again, it depends on route. Most Physical part of my day is first ninety minutes at sort. We get two 15s paid here. I use one for my packed lunch and one in PM either on road or at building to warm up my personal vehicle for ride home.
Me to. The mental break is running about all residential stops and no air commit time. Just wish I got 2 15s paid.

AKCoverMan

Me to. The mental break is running about all residential stops and no air commit time. Just wish I got 2 15s paid.
Get involved with your local. Next contract negotiation cycle starting up. Tell ‘em you feel short changed when other parts of country get 15 min breaks!