new video

oldngray

nowhere special
If a dog is on a leash then the owner should be controlling the dog, and if you run over a dog in that situation you might also run over the owner. On a leash makes little sense.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can clearly see the telephone poles in the background indicating that the road is not very far at all.

Also, if he didn't know the dogs, how would he know that they wouldn't chew the packages to bits? My guess is he ran out of biscuits. If he were a cover driver the regular driver would more than likely leave the biscuits in the car.

Biscuits? It is not part of my job to feed dogs.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Using capital letters just makes you immature.

You've probably never had a country route. Go walk off 2 or 3 1/4 mile driveways in a row and I'll bet you'll be driving down them in no time.

This must have been your first day on the internet. Welcome to the future !

BTW, I used capital letters in a post to highlight a point, I didn't write the whole post in capital letters. Maybe if I write like this, I can make it look like I use crayons so you can understand.

upschuck

My DM got into an argument with a customer, and told them he may never get another package delivered because he felt the driver was in danger. Not dog related, but still applies. He was seriously considering it, but calmer heads prevailed. He earned a little respect from me.

C

chuchu

How many homeowners have their dogs on a leash while they are at home?
How many times do I step over a leash when walking to a door to deliver? Many times.

When a dog is on a leash it is more of a "fixed object" issue and therefore limits the dog's ability to escape harm.

I guarantee that the owner of the dog would be more angry if you ran over his pet when it was confined to a certain, smaller area while on a leash and couldnt fully escape than if it had the whole yard available.​

What does the owner being home have to do with you running over their pet anyway? The issue is: was the back necessary. If strange dogs are present you are backing to make your vulnerability less and the possibility of delivering that stop on the first attempt greater.

The owner of the pet often views their pets as harmless but we view an unknown dog as a possible threat.

C

chuchu

The two dogs in the video were anything but a threat---the only possible harm they could cause would be licking you to death.
I dont agree that every dog that is "friendly" upon appearance.

Many act very friendly, as those dogs did, but will try to bite you when you head back to the truck.

You never say never when dealing with an animal.

C

chuchu

Many news reports have been aired over the years about the family dog that "snapped" and killed and/or mulled a family member.

Normally, the story ends with the statement about how "their dog never showed aggression or bit anyone" prior to that incident.

oldngray

nowhere special
Dogs are much more likely to attack people who are afraid of dogs because of how they act around dogs. People who are more comfortable being around dogs are more relaxed and can spot when a dog might be dangerous much more often. So really, both sides are correct. If you are afraid of a dog biting you then you ARE more likely to get bit.

rod

Retired 22 years
I dont agree that every dog that is "friendly" upon appearance.

Many act very friendly, as those dogs did, but will try to bite you when you head back to the truck.

You never say never when dealing with an animal.

Those "bite the UPS guy only on the return trip" were the worst.

image.jpg
Not this one. She a sweetheart.

Re-Raise

I asked a guy on my route once if his dog would bite.

He said he doesn't bite anyone carrying a package but good luck getting back to the truck. Thought that was pretty funny.