New Years Eve

Inthegame

I worked today---we started at 8am---the air didn't show up until 10am---they had us wash pkg cars for 2 hours. Ran a combined route---100 stops----then I had to go help out a younger driver (20 stops). Did a couple of OCA's and picked up the drop boxes in trace. Swept the UPS Store/Staples/MBE to make it easier for me on Thursday----got yelled at for sweeping the UPS Store/Staples/MBE. Punched out at 1745. Code 05.
In "sweeping" those accounts you likely moved ground pieces which should move your rate to 2x, not straight time air rate. Might be worth checking your supplement.

PT Car Washer

All air drivers FT or PT are forced to work at straight time plus their Holiday pay every Holiday. Unless you are on vacation. Just part of the job.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
In "sweeping" those accounts you likely moved ground pieces which should move your rate to 2x, not straight time air rate. Might be worth checking your supplement.
Here that would only apply to air drivers receiving ground rate for picking up ground. Management here has always told everyone not to pick up ground during holidays to avoid the aforementioned.

PT Car Washer

We were specifically instructed not to pick up any ground packages today. Even if someone comes up to us with an ARS. Contract violation.

Marne Vet

Different locals have different rules. Here (southern supplement )under article 60 anyone forced is paid double time, volunteers is straight. With that being said, the company pays everyone as double since the volunteers only come in on premium days for premium pay. If the company decided to be nitpicky about who was forced and who wasn't (there is no code to distinguish the two) then they'd end up forcing lower seniority people and paying double time to them anyways.

Thanks. I was wondering why we had these distinct codes up today, when in the past they just fixed it for us. Then again, this was the first time in over ten years that I worked, so I honestly have no idea how it's changed over time. Never even saw a 5B until today. (Note: My eyes are going so W, B, same :censored2: at twenty feet). Just thought it was odd when UpState said "paid at straight time". Thanks for clearing that up. ~MV

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a FT package car driver with 25 years seniority. I earned the top rate ($30.72/hr) allowed in our supplement for working today.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here that would only apply to air drivers receiving ground rate for picking up ground. Management here has always told everyone not to pick up ground during holidays to avoid the aforementioned.
We were specifically instructed not to pick up any ground packages today. Even if someone comes up to us with an ARS. Contract violation.

I swept those bulk pickups to make it easier for me on Thursday. center manager was not happy. I was not happy about having to work 9 hours on a non-operational holiday when we normally work 4-5 hours. I assume we will both get over it.

We were told to accept packages handed to us by customers.

oldngray

nowhere special
packages picked up will just be set aside and not processed until Thursday. Most centers allow those to be picked up unofficially but don't count them yet.

Z

ZQXC

I swept those bulk pickups to make it easier for me on Thursday. center manager was not happy. I was not happy about having to work 9 hours on a non-operational holiday when we normally work 4-5 hours. I assume we will both get over it.

We were told to accept packages handed to us by customers.

You volunteered; that fact by itself makes your unhappiness a non-issue.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You volunteered; that fact by itself makes your unhappiness a non-issue.

I volunteer for these non-operational days every year so that a younger driver can spend time with his family. Normally we staff to where we all work 4-5 hours and go home. My son is usually home on break and is normally just getting ready to start his day by the time I have finished work. We have a new center manager and the day after Christmas and NYE this year were a total CF. I worked 12 hours on the 26th, which included 3 double trips, and 9 hours yesterday. I was not the last one in yesterday. If this trend continues he will be hard pressed to get anyone to volunteer to work on these non-operational days.

I just realized something----why I am explaining myself to you?

Z

ZQXC

I volunteer for these non-operational days every year so that a younger driver can spend time with his family. Normally we staff to where we all work 4-5 hours and go home. My son is usually home on break and is normally just getting ready to start his day by the time I have finished work. We have a new center manager and the day after Christmas and NYE this year were a total CF. I worked 12 hours on the 26th, which included 3 double trips, and 9 hours yesterday. I was not the last one in yesterday. If this trend continues he will be hard pressed to get anyone to volunteer to work on these non-operational days.

I just realized something----why I am explaining myself to you?

Could it be your insatiable need to hear your own babble?

Inthegame

I am a FT package car driver with 25 years seniority. I earned the top rate ($30.72/hr) allowed in our supplement for working today.

Sorry, I omitted a word causing confusion in context...I should have written "straight time air language rate"

I wish we did get time and a half or even double time (plus holiday pay) for working today but we don't----we are paid straight time whether we volunteer or are forced.
I did a little research and find the Atlantic Area Supplement indeed calls for 1.5X rate for holiday work which should apply to ground pick-ups HENCE your center manager's displeasure, however the Upstate NY Rider calls for straight time...until this little gem appears,

"All work performed in excess of regular hours on a holiday
or a Sunday shall be double the overtime rate."
I'd be calling my BA Thursday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, I omitted a word causing confusion in context...I should have written "straight time air language rate"

I did a little research and find the Atlantic Area Supplement indeed calls for 1.5X rate for holiday work which should apply to ground pick-ups HENCE your center manager's displeasure, however the Upstate NY Rider calls for straight time...until this little gem appears,

"All work performed in excess of regular hours on a holiday
or a Sunday shall be double the overtime rate."
I'd be calling my BA Thursday.

My center manager was pissed because he and the on-car had to take the time to load the pickups on to pallets.

Thank you for the last part----I will be calling my BA tomorrow morning.

JL 0513

I will enjoy all $800 I made today.

Takes me a 45 hour work week to make that (gross). First years of progression hurts. Nevertheless, I'm thankful to have this job and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Even though UPS is delivering premium shipments on holidays, I can't see how they make money paying top rate guys $800 to run 50 or 60 stops. Of course they do it for the service factor, not to make money necessarily on one particular day. It's looks like a big loss day for UPS to me.