Newbie's first post (and a question)

pathFinder4590

Hi everyone. I'm a 23 year old package handler from central NJ and I decided to take the leap and make an account on here. I'm brand new to ups, and I know the bottom of the totem pole is a tough place, but I'm not here for the money.

I'm in my final semester of a bachelors in biology, will be graduating sometime mid December. Most likely I'll be picking up a second part time job to survive while I look at my options.

I have a girlfriend in upstate NY who, for medical reasons, cannot move to NJ, so I'll be leaving to get an apartment with her sometime next year. To the veteran guys here: if I quit on good terms as a package handler, will I have a good chance of picking up the same position (minus pay of course) in upstate NY? Also, like I said, I'll be needing a 2nd part time job if I have to get an apartment. Would UPS allow me to work a 2nd position (i.e. part time driver) while I'm a package handler?

Also, the wait list to become a driver at my hub is 5-6 years. I'm hoping it's shorter up near Syracuse! Although I will have a degree, I'm not discarding the possibility of staying in it for the long run.

Oh, and I guess I should list some hobbies since this is after all, an introduction! I'm a certified scuba diver, I enjoy hiking and rock climbing, and I'm getting my motorcycle license next weekend :)

Thanks for reading and any advice you guys might have. Hope to hear more soon.

PT Car Washer

I don't know the staffing situation in Syracuse but I don't know why they would not hire an experienced person. You can pick up some extra hours driving air on Sat. Also air exception driver during the week if they need you. Good luck.

pathFinder4590

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into driving on Saturdays. And to UpstateNYUPSer, my girlfriend lives in the Baldwinsville area and has a special doctor she sees, so I won't be living much more than an hours drive from there. However, any hubs in that area are fair game to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into driving on Saturdays. And to UpstateNYUPSer, my girlfriend lives in the Baldwinsville area and has a special doctor she sees, so I won't be living much more than an hours drive from there. However, any hubs in that area are fair game to me.

You should have no problem getting a job in the Syracuse hub.