News From Florida..... Start SAVING your MONEY!!! 03-22-13

Dragon

Package Center Manager
UPS makes plenty of money.!!! There is no reason we should pay for healthcare period! They just raised their dividend by almost 200 million a year....SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAVE PLENTY OF CASH TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BET!!! They dont want you to see who really makes the money. They must all be poor! Having to suffer driving a two year old $50,000 car or suv. I feel real friend**N bad for them!! Looks like all 250lbs of them are starving to death too!!!

I can't speak for anyone else but I have never kept anyone from going into management. They all went in of their own free will.

You know what? I don't like the fact you have to pay for some of your healthcare. Your compensation package should exceed mine. but we all make choices, right? I chose to keep driving the brown truck

All good points on why you should not have to pay for health care....

You have money and you should pay for it.
You are management and its not my fault
You made the choice not me

:dissapointed::dissapointed:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So the thread says "Start Saving your Money!!!"......so you can survive after Aug 1 if things don't work out the way you want....

but you cannot save any money to pay for healthcare for yourself or family..hmmm

another observation: not one driver has bragged how much money they made so far this year compared to thier Sup/Manager (who pays for healthcare)....

:surprised::surprised::surprised:just an observation.....
I'm on track for another 100k+ year, I get paid for hours worked. If you(UPS) don't want me making that much, send me out with less stops. Just because I make more than my sup doesn't mean I should pay for my healthcare, it just means I get paid for time worked, unlike management.

We have plenty of drivers who make 50k, would you be ok with them not paying because they made less? Or what about the part timer who will owe the company if he's laid off two days in the week? Perhaps you have a table you could show us that can illustrate the cutoff for pay/no pay.

The company makes plenty of money to share amongst everyone, management, hourlies, and stockholders. Our union is there to balance it for the hourlies, BOD for the stockholders, but who's in your corner? The general answer is "we'll just find another company that will pay us more". Funny thing is UPS wants that, so they can bring in some college kid that paid 150k in student loans to get an MBA, drowning in bills, and offer them 80% of what their predessor was making. So yeah, you guys made the choice to jump, just like we make the choice to stand.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
another observation: not one driver has bragged how much money they made so far this year compared to thier Sup/Manager (who pays for healthcare)....

When our stock went public 12 yrs ago, there were management people in my building who became millionares. I think I got a .50 raise that year. I didnt begrudge them their windfall, they made their career choice and so did I. Now that the worm has turned, I dont have any sympathy for management people who have inferior benefits to mine. They made their career choice and so did I. If they really want to complain about it they are more than welcome to compare the X-ray pictures of their knees and backs to mine. I've been slamming cardboard for 26 yrs now and I would trade bodies with most of them in a heartbeat.

brownIEman

I'm on track for another 100k+ year, I get paid for hours worked. If you(UPS) don't want me making that much, send me out with less stops.

That is proven poor way to save money on UPS' part. If UPS reduced your stops, you and I both know you would find a way to stay out just as long to maintain your income.

soberups

That is proven poor way to save money on UPS' part. If UPS reduced your stops, you and I both know you would find a way to stay out just as long to maintain your income.

Speaking for myself and the majority of drivers I have talked to, your statement is wrong. Most of us have families who we would like to be able to see at some time other than on weekends. And, at least in the bracket that I am in, if I work anything beyond about 50 hours in one week I am bringing home maybe $10 per hour after taxes and with no additional pension contributions or other benefits to sweeten the pot. My center paid out about $60,000 on over 9.5 grievances a couple years back, and they sure as hell werent being filed by guys who wanted all the overtime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You make a good point. Whenever we have a light day in my center the center manager will implore us to "bring it in when we are done". For the most part we do but there are always a few who choose to stay out. ODS-E makes it much easier for them to figure out if you are hosing them.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
You make a good point. Whenever we have a light day in my center the center manager will implore us to "bring it in when we are done". For the most part we do but there are always a few who choose to stay out. ODS-E makes it much easier for them to figure out if you are hosing them.[/QUOTE

Those days are gone. They can see what is being done at every moment. Follow the way they want it done. You have no worries. If you are "dishonest". Just a matter of time before they use it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You don't know me but you automatically assume I'm "screwing the company" by staying out long hours. In case you haven't noticed, the majority of drivers (90%+) would come in given the opportunity if they were dispatched correctly. Just look at the threads of how drivers don't want to stay out, want to be on the 9.5 list, and file constantly yet are given 10+ hrs of work. As far as the other 10%, your plans created the monster of allowing drivers to make 100k, I can easily maintain my lifestyle making 30k less, but according to your thinking I'd just screw you over given the opportunity.

To bad you guys know that you can't scale it back, using your exscuse every driver is a thief mentality. Try me.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You make a good point. Whenever we have a light day in my center the center manager will implore us to "bring it in when we are done". For the most part we do but there are always a few who choose to stay out. ODS-E makes it much easier for them to figure out if you are hosing them.
Funny how they can see it yet no one gets fired. Could it be they are piling it on and those drivers (me included) just drink the chocolate milk they provide. There's always those that choose to stay out, because just like me, I work what's on the truck and don't complain, am the best driver in my group (report compliance) and they never talk to me about anything. I do it one stop at a time, if they want to give me less time, guess what they need to do. This really isn't rocket science yet they still leave us out there, knowing it makes their numbers look better.

soberups

Spoken like a true Industrial Engineer who doesnt have a clue about how to do our job in the real world yet feels qualified to pass judgement from within a cubicle. If I was ever able to find a way to "beat standard" on one of your routes, you and I both know you would just rig the allowance to screw me out of an extra half hour of time just to maintain your income.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So the thread says "Start Saving your Money!!!"......so you can survive after Aug 1 if things don't work out the way you want....

but you cannot save any money to pay for healthcare for yourself or family..hmmm

:surprised::surprised::surprised:just an observation.....

I've said before management gets screwed. There is no reason they should pay for healthcare either.

You chose your path we chose ours. Don't be jealous.

A

anonymous6

How much do you recommend we put back?.. A couple weeks?...months?

this saving thing really should be a lifelong strategy. experts suggest about 3 months of expenses saved. this is for all kinds of emergencies..........like lost job, disibilty, death in family or any kind of emergency that can disrupt your life.

i have 12 months saved up but i have been preparing a long , long time for any sort of emergency. the best way to do this is to put aside at least 10 % of your take home pay into a special savings account. this is the minimum when everything in your life is just sailing along normal. in the case that you can foresee something bad ahead like a work stoppage, a career change, an illness of spouse or yourself, you should save just about everything you can. skip the luxuries in life until the storm passes. consider selling unnecessary toys , etc.

it's always better being the ant rather than the grasshopper in any stage of your life.

btw , welcome to brown cafe.

brownIEman

Spoken like a true Industrial Engineer who doesnt have a clue about how to do our job in the real world yet feels qualified to pass judgement from within a cubicle.

True, many of them do sound spout off that same line often. What is ironic, is that when I was actually in IE, there is no way I would have ever said or even thought such a thing. It was only after being in operations and witnessing it first hand that it would come to mind. But then, I was never in a package planner role in IE.
If I was ever able to find a way to "beat standard" on one of your routes, you and I both know you would just rig the allowance to screw me out of an extra half hour of time just to maintain your income.

No for 3 reasons, 1, as stated above I was never in a package planner role, 2, I know several drivers who regularly beat standard, and when new standards are developed, they continue to beat them. Most drivers in my area actually gained time back when we went to virtual studies a couple years ago. And 3, my income is not tied to your allowance in any measurable sense.

brownIEman

You don't know me but you automatically assume I'm "screwing the company" by staying out long hours. In case you haven't noticed, the majority of drivers (90%+) would come in given the opportunity if they were dispatched correctly. Just look at the threads of how drivers don't want to stay out, want to be on the 9.5 list, and file constantly yet are given 10+ hrs of work. As far as the other 10%, your plans created the monster of allowing drivers to make 100k, I can easily maintain my lifestyle making 30k less, but according to your thinking I'd just screw you over given the opportunity.

To bad you guys know that you can't scale it back, using your exscuse every driver is a thief mentality. Try me.

My statement was unfair, as I do not know you, and was actually projecting a sentiment that really applies to a small percentage of drivers a large percentage of time, and a large percentage of drivers a very small percentage of time, if you follow. I was really just using your remark to vent a frustration, and the comment was certainly no more unfair to you than many, many jabs I have taken on this board merely because I am in management. Doesn't make it right, I know, and not really trying to excuse it just put it in context.

I wish I could try you, I wish I could scale it back for all of my drivers. The problem is if I go against the people I report to, and execute a plan that has fewer stops/car and more routes dispatched than what I am directed to put in, I am openly insubordinate, and risk my ability to support my family in the form of losing my job. The only shield available to me, is an increase in the TOTAL (not just your) net delivered (which is much better marker of the efficiency and profitability of the operation than the other two). If I get that shield, I can show that the orders I were given were counter productive, and tell my bosses to pound sand. That shield can only be given to me by the driver group, the whole group. So far, in most real world cases I have been party to, it does not happen.

Would you screw me over if I put my neck out and gave you the opportunity? No idea, as you rightly said, I do not know you. Have I been screwed over in just that scenario by some of your brothers? You betcha.

It is what it is.