Nice pay raise they give to themselves

PT Car Washer

Wouldn't the most logical thing to do be to make more part timers full time?

The "part time work isn't meant to fully support someone" attitude doesn't work when companies take advantage of that concept to avoid hiring full time workers. And don't give me that "get a second job" line either. The part time starting wage, even at 40 hours a week is an embarrassing wage for a union shop.
Creating more FT jobs from PT would also strengthen the Pension fund. Except the Union makes a killing from initiation dues paid from a revolving door PT labor force.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wouldn't the most logical thing to do be to make more part timers full time?

The "part time work isn't meant to fully support someone" attitude doesn't work when companies take advantage of that concept to avoid hiring full time workers. And don't give me that "get a second job" line either. The part time starting wage, even at 40 hours a week is an embarrassing wage for a union shop.
I know they don't get benefits for a year but one has to add that into the part time wage.

From the company's perspective they aren't making $10 an hour. They are making over $20 an hour.

Brownslave688

When I started preloaders were paid $.50/hr less then drivers and unloaders were paid $1.05/hr less then preloaders or sorters because we were all Teamsters working in a Union shop.
I remember my grandpa telling me to find a union job because everyone made the same after 30 days there.

My how the times have changed.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Zero

Is that better
image.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Seems like fair compensation for being on call 24/7/365. You think Abney is ever off the clock? Nope. Add the stress of leading a company of 400,000 on top of that.

PT Car Washer

I know they don't get benefits for a year but one has to add that into the part time wage.

From the company's perspective they aren't making $10 an hour. They are making over $20 an hour.
And with health and welfare and pension you are making well over $50/hr. I guess someone has to subsidize your hourly wage.

Brownslave688

Seems like fair compensation for being on call 24/7/365. You think Abney is ever off the clock? Nope. Add the stress of leading a company of 400,000 on top of that.

Yeah our CEOs have never made that much when you get to looking at other CEOs.

The bigger issue to me is divedends. Ups will pay out close to 3 billion dollars in divedends in 2016.

I enjoy the nice checks I get from it but don't cry poor come contract time when you've doubled your divedend payout over the last decade.

Brownslave688

And with health and welfare and pension you are making well over $50/hr. I guess someone has to subsidize your hourly wage.
Never said I wasn't and I'm paid very well I get that.

I'm just saying one has to look at the whole picture. $10 an hour starting wage is only part of the picture.

PT Car Washer

Never said I wasn't and I'm paid very well I get that.

I'm just saying one has to look at the whole picture. $10 an hour starting wage is only part of the picture.
So true. $10/hr for 3 hours a day or $9/hr for 6 hours a day. When you have bills to pay that weekly check is the whole picture.

Scuba Steve

Does not surprise me. After all the money they saved on the last contract, profits earned by those on the ground, more should be showered on them who delivered them into their laps

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ups-ceos-2015-total-compensation-rose-to-113m--update-20160314-01031

Milkman, the jealousy will eat you up... You're not a CEO. The only thing you a responsible for at UPS is clocking in, making sure your package car is safe and ready. Delivering 250 stops per day maybe on time and following methods, then clocking out and going home. You get paid WELL above your competition to do that. You get a pension and great benefits, ask your FDX ground driver what they get?

Multiply what you do by 401,000 employees, that's what UPS' CEO is responsible for. He is responsible for 10 subsidiaries. 15 million packages per day. Not including responsible for an airline. He is paid less than his competitions CEO and less than other Fortune 500 CEO's....

You make a very good living for what you do. If you don't screw it up and do your job, you will have a nice retirement. You have every opportunity to be a CEO of a company and nobody is holding you back from earning big money in your life since your so concerned. Stop whining about what others make then and do it....

BrownBrokeDown

Milkman, the jealousy will eat you up... You're not a CEO. The only thing you a responsible for at UPS is clocking in, making sure your package car is safe and ready. Delivering 250 stops per day maybe on time and following methods, then clocking out and going home. You get paid WELL above your competition to do that. You get a pension and great benefits, ask your FDX ground driver what they get?

Multiply what you do by 401,000 employees, that's what UPS' CEO is responsible for. He is responsible for 10 subsidiaries. 15 million packages per day. Not including responsible for an airline. He is paid less than his competitions CEO and less than other Fortune 500 CEO's....

You make a very good living for what you do. If you don't screw it up and do your job, you will have a nice retirement. You have every opportunity to be a CEO of a company and nobody is holding you back from earning big money in your life since your so concerned. Stop whining about what others make then and do it....
cant get the image to post, but here is the info
5.7% - increase in worker annual compensation from 1978 to 2011
349.1% - increase in S&P 500 from 1978 to 2011
726.7% - increase in CEO annual compensation from 1978 to 2011

published by the economic policy institute report "CEO pay and the top 1%" published may 2, 2012

Scuba Steve

cant get the image to post, but here is the info
5.7% - increase in worker annual compensation from 1978 to 2011
349.1% - increase in S&P 500 from 1978 to 2011
726.7% - increase in CEO annual compensation from 1978 to 2011

published by the economic policy institute report "CEO pay and the top 1%" published may 2, 2012

This is informative but you Have to take into account why a workers wage went up 5.7 percent in the same time.

The American economy is in a constant state of churn. Historically one new business is born about every minute, while another one fails every eighty seconds. In 2012, there were 13.4 million private sector jobs created or destroyed each quarter—that’s equivalent to one in eight private sector jobs. Despite all of that churning, only 600 thousand net jobs were created each quarter duringthat same year. That’s equal to about half a percent of private employment.

Remember in 1978 you had the US Steel industry collapse. Thousands of workers lost good paying jobs and were either unemployed, under employed or on assistance. Look at the last recession, construction workers, financial workers and auto workers, same thing. Look at every year inbetween 1978-2011 and the churning of business and industry that changed.
Look at the revenue that companies are making with ONE CEO and able to provide new jobs when all of those industries came and went. The numbers in your report are skewed.

Look at minimum wage in 1978-2011? Minimum wage increased 174% in that time....

BrownBrokeDown

This is informative but you Have to take into account why a workers wage went up 5.7 percent in the same time.

The American economy is in a constant state of churn. Historically one new business is born about every minute, while another one fails every eighty seconds. In 2012, there were 13.4 million private sector jobs created or destroyed each quarter—that’s equivalent to one in eight private sector jobs. Despite all of that churning, only 600 thousand net jobs were created each quarter duringthat same year. That’s equal to about half a percent of private employment.

Remember in 1978 you had the US Steel industry collapse. Thousands of workers lost good paying jobs and were either unemployed, under employed or on assistance. Look at the last recession, construction workers, financial workers and auto workers, same thing. Look at every year inbetween 1978-2011 and the churning of business and industry that changed.
Look at the revenue that companies are making with ONE CEO and able to provide new jobs when all of those industries came and went. The numbers in your report are skewed.

Look at minimum wage in 1978-2011? Minimum wage increased 174% in that time....
profits increase drastically
ceo pay increased drastically
stock market increased drastically
dividends increased drastically
percentage disparity of new income to the upper class vs the middle class increased drastically
blue collar pay essentially stayed level

go ahead and apologize/sympathize for the top 5 points some more.

BrownBrokeDown

if someone has the numbers it would be interesting to compare the year before the pt pay was reduced the following:
FT pay versus profits
PT pay versus profits
CEO pay versus profits

and 2015
FT pay versus profits
PT pay versus profits
CEO pay versus profits