No Christmas Turkey, No Incentives, No Measly Shirts YET UPS Wants Us To Concede! No!

upswife75

Re: No Christmas Turkey, No Incentives, No Measly Shirts YET UPS Wants Us To Concede!

The most important and rewarding aspect of UPS giving us a turkey in my mind was our ability to donate them to needy families in our area..... UPS did not stop putting food on my table....they stopped putting it on the table of someone that truly needed it.... Regardless....I still try to help those in need whenever possible...

Sorry, but at $80k a year, I don't need to be given a free turkey to donate a turkey (and much more) to someone else. I mean, really. Complaining about not getting a $20-30 turkey once a year when you can buy one with an hour's wage, which is more than most can say, is kinda silly in the grand scheme of things, imo.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/02/01/ups-donated-98m-to-charities-in-2102.html

How much less would that number be if they had to provide a turkey to every employee?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Re: No Christmas Turkey, No Incentives, No Measly Shirts YET UPS Wants Us To Concede!

The most important and rewarding aspect of UPS giving us a turkey in my mind was our ability to donate them to needy families in our area..... UPS did not stop putting food on my table....they stopped putting it on the table of someone that truly needed it....

Regardless....I still try to help those in need whenever possible...

You wernt the only one that did that....ups will be very surprised next year by their united way donations that take a nosedive....

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
The most important and rewarding aspect of UPS giving us a turkey in my mind was our ability to donate them to needy families in our area..... UPS did not stop putting food on my table....they stopped putting it on the table of someone that truly needed it.... Regardless....I still try to help those in need whenever possible...

Sorry, but at $80k a year, I don't need to be given a free turkey to donate a turkey (and much more) to someone else. I mean, really. Complaining about not getting a $20-30 turkey once a year when you can buy one with an hour's wage, which is more than most can say, is kinda silly in the grand scheme of things, imo.

I think the underlying issue of the turkey has nothing to do with the value of said yard fowl or giving to those who would benefit from it more than us.

I think the real issue is, the turkey was the only gesture of gratitude hourlies got from Atlanta. It was a tradition that began with OUR company's founding fathers that the board decided was no longer necessary.

Sure, they pay us handsomely. No, I don't pay a premium for health insurance. I receive these things not from the goodness of Big Mama Brown's heart but because, she's contractually obligated to give them to me. In return, I allow her to kick the :censored2: out of me.

The rescinding of the year end company olive branch has nothing to do with money and everything to do with labor relations. A proverbial slap in the face. That, IMO, is what upsets most folks.

upswife75

Interesting. That is the second time in the same number of days that my posts have disappeared. :confused2:

As for the turkey, I guess in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't really matter much to me or my husband. Then again, he works in a hub where he is appreciated for the hard work he does and they tell him quite often, so maybe that helps. *shrugs*

over9five

Staff member

Interesting. That is the second time in the same number of days that my posts have disappeared. :confused2:
Sorry, as a new user your posts get stuck in the Moderators Queu. They haven't disappeared, they just take a little time to get approved.
​Should be all set when you reach 25 posts!

upswife75

Sorry, as a new user your posts get stuck in the Moderators Queu. They haven't disappeared, they just take a little time to get approved.

Gotcha, was just kinda odd because it was there, then gone, yet had been quoted in another poster's post. Confuzzled me a bit. :p

InsideUPS

UPS donated $98M to charities in 2102 - Atlanta Business Chronicle

How much less would that number be if they had to provide a turkey to every employee?

OR..... How much less would that number would be if the employees (both hourly and management did not give to United Way......which amounted to $55 million of that $98M... (note...I won't mention the glaring 2102 headline error)

Screen shot 2013-06-08 at 11.53.37 PM.jpg

Each and everyone of us can talk "turkey" all evening however the fact is that it ANY issue at UPS has a different meaning to ALL of us. In our building, we simply had a set of families that people donated their unfortunate bird to. ColdWorld mentioned an easy solution which is to donate our United Way money directly to these needy families... Of course...that will reduce some of that $98M you linked above.

Yes...I agree with you that this is all "kinda silly" in the grand scheme of things...

Screen shot 2013-06-08 at 11.53.37 PM.jpg

upswife75

Heh, the 2102 headline made me twitch, but yeah. I dunno, I guess I just find it silly to worry about the turkey, is all. I didn't really see it as the company showing appreciation, because really, it was just another automated thing that wasn't really all that personal. I'm sure it was at some point, but when it becomes just another automatic corporate thing, it just didn't really seem to mean much anymore. Of course, employees giving them to needy families is a personal thing, but to me, that is something I would be doing whether it was given to me for free or not. For our family though, it's always having my kids each choose a boy and girl on one of those angel giving trees at christmas time and having them each shop for "their kids", buying them clothes and toys. I'd like to think that the employees being charitable isn't conditional upon getting something for free, is all. :)

Maybe she should go into work for her hubby!!Who wears the pants????/..LOL

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Not quite sure what you are trying to insinuate with that comment, but I wear the jeans, he wears the shorts. ;)

Out of curiosity, what brought you to this site since you aren't an employee of ups??Has you husband ever posted here before?

upswife75

Out of curiosity, what brought you to this site since you aren't an employee of ups??Has you husband ever posted here before?

Actually, I originally found this forum by mistake when typing upser.com instead of upsers.com when I was checking some employee discount info. I was bored, read some stuff, commented and now I pop in when I'm bored. My husband is a driver, but he hasn't posted because he isn't really a forum type person. I also work for a UPS authorized shipping store, so I do take interest in UPS related stuff for more than a few reasons.

upswife75

Also, I find it interesting to see how things run in other areas, besides where we are. So yeah, here I am.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Actually, I originally found this forum by mistake when typing upser.com instead of upsers.com when I was checking some employee discount info. I was bored, read some stuff, commented and now I pop in when I'm bored. My husband is a driver, but he hasn't posted because he isn't really a forum type person. I also work for a UPS authorized shipping store, so I do take interest in UPS related stuff for more than a few reasons.

sounds good..we need more women posting on here to help calm down the apes ponding on their chests every 5 minutes..

MangoMango

Yeah. Who cares about a turkey. Or if it was a holiday card. The fact is they stopped a founding tradition so UPS CAN SAVE A BUCK. Get it??

InsideUPS

Not quite sure what you are trying to insinuate with that comment, but I wear the jeans, he wears the shorts. ;)

Maybe he's trying to insinuate that most of the time it is the wife of a UPSer that becomes a "Brown Cafe Widow".....rather than the UPS husband who may have become a "Brown Cafe Widower".......

Note....I only say this in jest as I think my wife sometimes thinks that I died somewhere and never came home during my more active periods on Brown Cafe. She now has put parental controls for BC on my laptop.... : )

upswife75

Yeah. Who cares about a turkey. Or if it was a holiday card. The fact is they stopped a founding tradition so UPS CAN SAVE A BUCK. Get it??

Well, quite personally, I'd rather a company decide to save a buck by cutting out stuff like a turkey or a card, than by laying off workers. Get it?!

I remember when they stopped the turkeys, and it was around the same time that our economy, including UPS stock, was bottoming out. That was also around when they stopped the catalog orders for employees to order from for their safety record anniversary and such. Yeah, I'd much rather my husband have a steady paycheck than an 8 pack cooler that says UPS on it or a turkey once a year. Call me crazy, but I like being able to pay my bills, take my kids to the doctor/dentist/orthodontist, and important things like that.

upswife75

Oh, by the way, Mango...Jim Casey himself stopped the tradition for several years during the depression era, all to SAVE A BUCK! ;)