No Christmas Turkey, No Incentives, No Measly Shirts YET UPS Wants Us To Concede! No!

InsideUPS

Re: No Christmas Turkey, No Incentives, No Measly Shirts YET UPS Wants Us To Concede!

Oh, by the way, Mango...Jim Casey himself stopped the tradition for several years during the depression era, all to SAVE A BUCK! ;)

UPS Turkey History 101 -

Attachments

• 2009Holiday-Turkey_wrs.pdf
    906.6 KB · Views: 148

upswife75

Re: No Christmas Turkey, No Incentives, No Measly Shirts YET UPS Wants Us To Concede!

Now you've done it, InsideUPS. Now you will have people complaining that we don't still get a gold coin! :p

Also, don't get me wrong, it was a nice tradition, but honestly, it wasn't going to last forever, especially after UPS went public. Like it or not, keeping the shareholders happy will always take precedence in most businesses. It's not "fair", but it is what it is.

UPS Preloader

So when do you think we will get through these "Difficult Economic Conditions?"

"In 2009, the holiday turkey program was suspended due to difficult economic conditions."

MangoMango

Well, quite personally, I'd rather a company decide to save a buck by cutting out stuff like a turkey or a card, than by laying off workers. Get it?!

I remember when they stopped the turkeys, and it was around the same time that our economy, including UPS stock, was bottoming out. That was also around when they stopped the catalog orders for employees to order from for their safety record anniversary and such. Yeah, I'd much rather my husband have a steady paycheck than an 8 pack cooler that says UPS on it or a turkey once a year. Call me crazy, but I like being able to pay my bills, take my kids to the doctor/dentist/orthodontist, and important things like that.

I don't know what hub your husband works at, but there is no shortage of work. That's where the record profits come into play.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Well, quite personally, I'd rather a company decide to save a buck by cutting out stuff like a turkey or a card, than by laying off workers. Get it?!

I remember when they stopped the turkeys, and it was around the same time that our economy, including UPS stock, was bottoming out. That was also around when they stopped the catalog orders for employees to order from for their safety record anniversary and such. Yeah, I'd much rather my husband have a steady paycheck than an 8 pack cooler that says UPS on it or a turkey once a year. Call me crazy, but I like being able to pay my bills, take my kids to the doctor/dentist/orthodontist, and important things like that.
I don't know what hub your husband works at, but there is no shortage of work. That's where the record profits come into play.

​Interesting reply ... are you agreeing with her?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

And to think....

Some employee's, thought the gift of a "turkey" was some sort of benevolent gift.... from the company.

The same type of employee'.... Don't realize it was a joke....

​-Bug-

upswife75

Haha. No. She is saying she would rather have her husband work instead of a turkey. There is no shortage of work.

While the jobs are getting a bit better now, we are still sitting at a 7.8% unemployment rate in my county. At the time that they stopped the turkeys, it was 14.3%. So, I stand by my comment...I would much rather my husband keep his job making $32/hr than a 15 pound turkey once a year. Especially given the fact that we have 3 kids. Call me crazy, I know!!

upswife75

And honestly, like I have already said, complaining about something as trivial as a turkey with the amount that UPS pays it's employees (mainly talking FT here, since yeah, PT pay isn't the greatest, but still more than a lot of people make at other PT jobs), is really freaking silly. There are still people losing jobs left and right. While the economy is getting better, there are still people hurting, so I count myself and my family pretty damn lucky to be getting the kind of income we are. Our county just laid off 261 education employees, including 160 first year teachers. Half of the art/music/PE instructors were cut, all of the teachers aids, and a few other positions. In place of all those teachers, we will now have full time certified substitutes teaching our kids. People working for $18k/year with no benefits, even though they have bachelors degrees. So, to complain about losing a turkey while getting paid what UPS employees get paid (with benefits), at a job that doesn't even require a high school diploma, is just funny to me.

MangoMango

And honestly, like I have already said, complaining about something as trivial as a turkey with the amount that UPS pays it's employees (mainly talking FT here, since yeah, PT pay isn't the greatest, but still more than a lot of people make at other PT jobs), is really freaking silly. There are still people losing jobs left and right. While the economy is getting better, there are still people hurting, so I count myself and my family pretty damn lucky to be getting the kind of income we are. Our county just laid off 261 education employees, including 160 first year teachers. Half of the art/music/PE instructors were cut, all of the teachers aids, and a few other positions. In place of all those teachers, we will now have full time certified substitutes teaching our kids. People working for $18k/year with no benefits, even though they have bachelors degrees. So, to complain about losing a turkey while getting paid what UPS employees get paid (with benefits), at a job that doesn't even require a high school diploma, is just funny to me.

Lady, you have no idea what it is like to work at UPS. Did your husband ever load/unload a trailer. $10 an hour is a joke for that kind of labor. Like I said, the turkey was a token of thanks at the end of the year. To take that away from its employees to save money is a slap in the face. They could still give us something, but they don't because we are the necessary evil to make the share holders rich.

anonymous4

It's probably funny to you because you're not the one busting your balls at UPS. It doesn't matter if the rest of the country is going under while UPS, the company we work for, is profiting record numbers. Life is about I, not about someone else who made a poor decision getting a worthless degree and is stuck with the consequences. They shared the same type of mentality as you, expecting X career to garner X wage because you're told it should be so. I feel no pity for others decisions. UPS is a closed world and is doing well. The turkey was taken from us because of "poor economic conditions". That excuse is gone (yet they still won concessions). I want my turkey back. Not later, now.

upswife75

Lady, you have no idea what it is like to work at UPS. Did your husband ever load/unload a trailer. $10 an hour is a joke for that kind of labor. Like I said, the turkey was a token of thanks at the end of the year. To take that away from its employees to save money is a slap in the face. They could still give us something, but they don't because we are the necessary evil to make the share holders rich.

Uh huh, I haven't listened to a single word my husband has said about the last 13 years of working at UPS, so I have no idea. Sweetheart, I can't tell you how many times my husband would get home from work at 10 something at night, finally unwind, get to sleep and be called at 4am to come in and work preload. My husband has worked EVERY single part time job in that hub with the exception of the customer counter and mechanic. He's worked preload, reload, air feeders, shifter, ecs clerk, hazmat responder, hazmat auditor, sort, small sort, and was the PT union steward, so yeah, I think he has loaded and unloaded a few trucks. Oh, and he did it before the dumbed down PAL system you have now, back when you actually had to THINK!! So please, spare me the "I have no idea", because I have seen my husband come home after busting his arse for SEVERAL years (hell, the entire time I have known him), at the same pay you are making now. They don't call him Superman for nothing there. I have also seen him turn down management jobs more times than I can count, because he'd rather be busting his butt, than sitting in that hub. He's run pretty much every one of the 63 routes in that building, without having to have a supervisor train him on a single one!

upswife75

It's probably funny to you because you're not the one busting your balls at UPS. It doesn't matter if the rest of the country is going under while UPS, the company we work for, is profiting record numbers. Life is about I, not about someone else who made a poor decision getting a worthless degree and is stuck with the consequences. They shared the same type of mentality as you, expecting X career to garner X wage because you're told it should be so. I feel no pity for others decisions. UPS is a closed world and is doing well. The turkey was taken from us because of "poor economic conditions". That excuse is gone (yet they still won concessions). I want my turkey back. Not later, now.

Like I said, I understand it isn't right that the turkeys are gone, especially for the part timers. Yes, it sucks, but that's the way things go sometimes. To keep complaining about it, 4 years later though, is getting kinda old. As for MY mentality of expecting such and such, nope, not me. I have busted my butt my entire life. I first started working when I was 15, worked through 2 of my 3 pregnancies and at one point, worked a full time job and a part time job, to make ends meet. I know a thing or two about things not being what is expected.

What'dyabringmetoday???

If this is all that you "turkeys" are worried about then things must be pretty good where you are. Personally, I am a bit more concerned with language in the contract about to be ratified than getting a box with a small bird inside it each year. (These are merely opinions and not meant to misconstrued as facts such as most posters post when posting a post. Lol.)

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Uh huh, I haven't listened to a single word my husband has said about the last 13 years of working at UPS, so I have no idea. Sweetheart, I can't tell you how many times my husband would get home from work at 10 something at night, finally unwind, get to sleep and be called at 4am to come in and work preload. My husband has worked EVERY single part time job in that hub with the exception of the customer counter and mechanic. He's worked preload, reload, air feeders, s0hifter, ecs clerk, hazmat responder, hazmat auditor, sort, small sort, and was the PT union steward, so yeah, I think he has loaded and unloaded a few trucks. Oh, and he did it before the dumbed down PAL system you have now, back when you actually had to THINK!! So please, spare me the "I have no idea", because I have seen my husband come home after busting his arse for SEVERAL years (hell, the entire time I have known him), at the same pay you are making now. They don't call him Superman for nothing there. I have also seen him turn down management jobs more times than I can count, because he'd rather be busting his butt, than sitting in that hub. He's run pretty much every one of the 63 routes in that building, without having to have a supervisor train him on a single one!
You sound like you have worked at ups before with knowing all of the specific lingo....all my wife knows is that I work for ups and where the building is since she had to bring gas out to me one night when I ran out at work...lol

upswife75

You sound like you have worked at ups before with knowing all of the specific lingo....all my wife knows is that I work for ups and where the building is since she had to bring gas out to me one night when I ran out at work...lol

LOL Nah, never worked there, I just listen to my husband when he tells me about his day. ;) Plus, I like knowing how businesses work, so when he would come home at night with a big list of zip codes to memorize, I would ask what the deal was. I've heard the bitching about crappy loaders, especially the idiot who loaded him Ryder truck completely backwards one year, leaving my husband to completely reload the damn thing, lol.

anonymous4

Interesting. My girlfriend doesn't even ask me if I'd like a back rub, let alone know or care about the details of my workplace. I think I need to reevaluate my life.

MangoMango

If this is all that you "turkeys" are worried about then things must be pretty good where you are. Personally, I am a bit more concerned with language in the contract about to be ratified than getting a box with a small bird inside it each year. (These are merely opinions and not meant to misconstrued as facts such as most posters post when posting a post. Lol.)

No, The point of this entire thread was to say UPS doesn't give a $h!t about us. Go back about 10 pages.

stink219

No, The point of this entire thread was to say UPS doesn't give a $h!t about us. Go back about 10 pages.
Have they ever bounced a check? If I want a turkey, I punch out 10 seconds later everyday.

stink219

Haha. No. She is saying she would rather have her husband work instead of a turkey. There is no shortage of work.

While the jobs are getting a bit better now, we are still sitting at a 7.8% unemployment rate in my county. At the time that they stopped the turkeys, it was 14.3%. So, I stand by my comment...I would much rather my husband keep his job making $32/hr than a 15 pound turkey once a year. Especially given the fact that we have 3 kids. Call me crazy, I know!!
Your not crazy at all.