No More God in Schools....But Homosexuality is OK?!

over9five

Staff member
"I am impressed that you don't swear, very challenging working at UPS."

Don't be too impressed, Chan....... I should have added, "....in a forum"!

"Educate me, I'm old... but I haven't heard everything yet."

Of course it means only one thing, Cheryl, but the fact remains that those three letters are not a swear. Isn't that why they are used? To avoid swearing?

More political correctness taken to the extreme, THATS why three letteres together are banned.

wkmac

WEAR THIS friendREAKIN' out!

:happy-very:

Cheryl,

Do what you think best and I'm cool with it! If I don't I'll just leave.

NS
(Nuff Said)
:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Over9five.....the older I get, the more I swear. It's usally out loud with just my dog present.
I always say, " friend. a Duck !! You know, if you say that "friend" word often enough, it almost becomes meaningless.
It's usually a "frustration situation" where I say that.........like the 3rd time I have to get out of my comfortable chair to answer the phone and it's a sales-type call.
I still think it's because of that 'senior syndrome' that Cheryl mentioned a few months ago. As we get older, we are less able to keep our thoughts unspoken. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !!

over9five

Staff member
"...say that "friend" word often enough, it almost becomes meaningless."

Have you ever thought about that? Swear words are only words. Wouldn't a lot of problems disappear if as a people we declared that swear words were no longer to be considered swears? In other words, someone who said, "Oh, friend!" would not be thought any different from as someone who said, "Oh, heck!".

Over9fives world:

1. Swear words are no longer swears.
2. Schools must concentrate on teaching, NOT measuring shirt shoulder straps.
3. Homosexuality is NOT a subject at school.
4. Religion is NOT a subject at school.
5. Return public hangings for murderers.
6. Prisoners should not be getting college degrees on my tax money.

I could go on and on......

wkmac

Here's a humorous little diddy about the "friend" word. My wife at times in her legal work has to do indepth geneology reserach when legal issues over estates come up. Several years ago she was researching late 1800's early 1900's census data when she came across 2 ladies on the census rolls and under occupation the "friend" word was listed.

Although seperate from her legal case that she was working on, she and I both found this to be odd so since the area was also in our favorite caving haunts (we were avid cavers at the time) we decided a combined field trip was in order. (Scratch, the area was in Rising Fawn and our caving trip was to Cemetry Pit with a nice 150' entrance drop) While there, we did some detective work and learned that these 2 women in fact were prostitutes and thus the listing of occupation. It turns out the town mayor was the great grandson of a woman who lived next door or down a road a piece to be exact and he introduced us to his mother who told us some great stories of these women but also some great stories and insight into the region itself.

My wife spoke with a woman in Texas who was wellknown in geneology circles as she told my wife the use of this word on census reports in some rural areas especially was not uncommon in that time. To see it used in that time on the census seemed so matter of fact but to us it was on the one hand shocking and at the same time funny. That's what I love about history and the truth of it because it will shock you and make you laugh all in the same moment.

wkmac

5. Return public hangings for murderers.

I'll go you one better than that. Outlaw all means of State performed executions and bring back the Old Testament standard of stoning. In the Old Testament standard, the victims family were the first ones to cast the stones in what was called the "Avenger of Blood!" If convicted criminal flees the family has full right to strike them down where they find them at any time.

I'm a true believer in this form of execution and thus oppose State sponsored execution of criminals because not only does it give something to the victims family but it also shows the community at large the seriousness of taking the life of another. At the same time, this same law prohibits execution of the convicted on pure hearsay evidence and other legalist theories not backed by solid hard evidence or witnesses. Something now lacking in our legal system that is driven by politics and numbers rather than finding the real culprit. Duke Lacrosse players are perfect examples but this is all for another thread obviously!

Besides, it's time to leave this "friend" word discussion and move on to something else.
:wink2:

diesel96

We had an old electric chair here in Fla named "Ole Smokey" Why....cause it would malfunction in it's latter years and flames would shoot off the unfortunate individual occupying the seat. Now that was a derterent ! Not this pusillanimous lethal injection euthanasia method. Sorry folks lets execute him nicely instead of frying his :censored2:.(B.S.) I have no tolerance for hanus,murdering individuals that are without doubt, guilty. Rest my case your Honor! Smoke Em and play Lynard Skynard's "What's that smell during the event...and while your at it place some Jiffy Pop on his head. Guess I can't shake all my Conservative views.....

over9five

Staff member
Wow, nice post Diesel.

I hate the lethal injection (put them to sleep) method of execution too. When you consider the violent way their victims went, I don't think they deserve an easy death. I would give them a choice:

1. Death by hanging
2. Death by firing squad
3. Death by guillotine

All would be public, perhaps at a stadium....

I'd sell tickets, give the proceeds to the victims families.

And if any of the victims family wanted to be on the firing squad, that'd be fine too.

diesel96

Well, if Hillary has mental therapy in your plan, maybe there's hope!

BTW: Was it Ole' Smokey? I thought it was Sparky! Either way, it was notorious.

My bad Wkmac..."Old Sparky"......THX
I don't know how this got from God in school, to Homo's, to the death penalty????????????

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My bad Wkmac..."Old Sparky"......THX
I don't know how this got from God in school, to Homo's, to the death penalty????????????

Thats the way that threads go sometimes. One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is DISCIPLINE in schools. There is little or none today. When I was in school, if we misbehaved, we were carried out in the hall and the teacher or principle introduced us to the "Board of Education". We got our rear end paddled. Then it got tore up again by our parents when we got home.

My wife works as a substitute teacher in the local school system. She gets cussed out by five year olds. Nothing is done. Sends kids to the office, usually they are sent back. This behavior just gets worse in the higher grades. In high school, cell phones, ipods, eating and drinking in class, wear anything, it just doesn't matter. The teachers and other staff usually let the students do anything they want, the rules and policies aren't enforced. I am so thankful my two sons are out of there. We got a letter from my youngest son's college today. He made the Dean's List his first quarter. The discipline we used at home somehow seemed to have worked. We were and still are parents first, we don't try to be their "friend". We respect each other. A lot can be said for those old "out of date" ideas, doesn't it?

P.S., I thought that "Old Sparky" was the nickname for our Electric Chair down in Jackson, Georgia. I guess every state must have had one.

satellitedriver

Thats the way that threads go sometimes. One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is DISCIPLINE in schools. There is little or none today. When I was in school, if we misbehaved, we were carried out in the hall and the teacher or principle introduced us to the "Board of Education". We got our rear end paddled. Then it got tore up again by our parents when we got home.
Scratch,
There is still a bastion of old school discipline out there.
Our school,1thru12, still paddles. The cool part is they make the child sign their name on the paddle. I have been in the office with parents that have their name on the paddle from twenty years ago and are there to pick up their child from school for breaking the rules.
Discipline is not child abuse.
IMO, it is more abusive to the child not to discipline.
Having said that, if I am around anyone that intentionally hurts a child, well let's just say I lose my cool.
PAX

diesel96

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference." ( WHACK )
That was the Serenity Prayer sign our Dean had hanging up on his office wall that you had to read while he gave you the John MacEnroe forehand smash.I'd usally tighten-up my butt cheeks on "wisdom to know the difference".His paddle was so aero-dynamic, it even had holes in it for less resistense. Ironically, we made him a new paddle in woodshop. Who knew it would come back to haunt us.

dillweed

Never got whacked in school but had to sit behind the piano in kindergarden because some kid tickled me and made me laugh. Early lesson on "life isn't always fair"

OK tieguy, I agree with lots of your post about schools just teaching academics but there are many instances in school that demand lessons on tolerance and morals. Kids are going to sit beside and work with all sorts of others, blacks, whites, hispanics, asians and so forth. They don't run into this variation at home and may not know quite what to make of it. Hopefully, many teachers understand the complexity of these situations and can help these kids tolerate the differences to a point where they can appreciate them.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Not only that, it really pisses me off how obsessed schools are with how students dress! I would rather them do their job (teach), and let me worry about how my kids dress.

EXAMPLE: At my sisters kids school, her daughter was sent home with a note that she couldn't wear a top with less than a 1 inch strap (ie no spaghetti straps). When she brought up the fact that all the Spanish girls had spaghetti straps, she was told that this was ok because that was their heritage. :censored2::censored2::censored2:!!!

...wow makes me so glad I live below the mason dixon line and reminds me how much I hate the north.

Find some way to say that its her heritage too..make them prove she isn't hispanic. When I was in high school, there was this irish looking puerto rican kid with red hair and freckles..name was Hosea.

wkmac

Years ago on I think the discovery channel was one of my favorite alltime programs called "Connections". The program would take a subject near and dear to our hearts today, some invention or something and then take what appears a meaningless and unrelated event in history long, long ago and then come through time showing how they are connected. As one event unfolded, it caused someone to think in a different direction and over time we have what we have today.

Some of these threads can do the same thing but in the case of this thread there is IMO an underlying connection having to do with moral beliefs. God in schools, homosexuality and the death penalty all in one way or another play into people's moral beliefs and they take many shapes and forms. It's not hard to to see where some people might connect the dots so to speak with God so-called being removed from the schools and the seeming appearance of a rise in homosexuality.

There is a huge fight over the minds of children in the gov't schools that take form across many lines IMO, not just the few issues we've talked here. Back in the 70's when I graduated High School, the diploma meant something and the level of knowledge then was equal to at least 2 years of college now and in some cases higher. Thus the reason at the time and through the 1980's that at UPS you could become a Division manager without a college degree but that has all changed now.

The educational system has so focused on a type of moral structure and conditioning kids to some utopian form of model citizens that the primary mission of the 3 R's if you will has become secondary. You have pockets where things might be good but on average across the board this is not the case at all. Other nations are now focused on the 3 R's and thus are passing us by while we spend all our time trying to breed citizen conformists to a central model ideal. Why have they done this?

Because our drive to utopian society free of all risks have required the 2 key players in the life of a child be removed to the industrial/business plantations in order to boost the economy for the purpose of tax revenues in order to pay for the utopianism we so demand the gov't give us. Now that the 2 parents are missing from the mix of guidance plus we've been watered down to believe child raising is something not worthy of us and best left to the experts, someone has to step in to teach them morals and who better but the gov't schools. Now they choose the morals and many of you don't like it and I can understand that.

As a result of this underlying connection that no one but me is crazy enough to bring front and center we've surrendered as parents in trade of the super state our children. Now the schools are mills which try and make all children the exact model copy of each other that devoids them of their past histories and beliefs of their families and many of you don't like it.

People are rightly upset over what they are seeing as dictated out of central control in Washington DC that overrides the will and wishes of local parents and educators. But sadly they have not the courage to stand up and revolt at the ballot box and tell both parties and to quote Pink Floyd from The Wall:

"We Don't Need Your Re-Education!"

Yeah, I took a little license!