No more soup for you!! I mean no more bench grinders for you!!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
That's hilarious :happy-very:
I guess the next time I get caught not using my seat belt, they'll fix that by taking my seat belt away:happy-very:

It'd be more like taking a broken supply rack out. The reason a grinder can last 20 years is because they don't get used much anyway. Kinda like a xmas turkey. Nobody wants or needs one till they take it away.

PE Pro

Sounds like hypocrisy to me. A PE person that doesn't even know what the issues are is complaining that the grinder was removed. They are unsafe and they lead to fines because the people that use them and maintain them don't do it properly. Ketter (independent auditor) is just pretend OSHA or OSHA without fines. Keter (independent auditor) was a settlement requirement by OSHA. They use the OHSA rules. How would you suggest that you not bow down to the OSHA regulations?
Dude, I'm not complaining. If you didn't notice our PE shop still has a bench grinder. I would have gladly taken the 2 year old one complete with stand off their hands. A decent management decision might have been to throw the 20 year old grinder away and keep the newer one. Whatever! Go ahead insult my intelligence, I am a maintenance man at UPS how smart can I be. I admit I am a decent paycheck and excellent health benefits short of being a complete failure, so what. But please don't insult my eyes and my ears. Anyone with 2 eyes to see and 2 ears to hear and with far less time than me know that UPS and the management do not bow down to OSHA regulations nor do they enforce these regulations on their employees (This grinder example shows this). But they do bow down to the coverup that is called the Keter Audit, they have to pass these audits because they have to appear and report to OSHA this appearance of being something they are not. *

:whatever:

Last edited by a moderator:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Dude, I'm not complaining. If you didn't notice our PE shop still has a bench grinder. I would have gladly taken the 2 year old one complete with stand off their hands. A decent management decision might have been to throw the 20 year old grinder away and keep the newer one. Whatever! Go ahead insult my intelligence, I am a maintenance man at UPS how smart can I be. I admit I am a decent paycheck and excellent health benefits short of being a complete failure, so what. But please don't insult my eyes and my ears. Anyone with 2 eyes to see and 2 ears to hear and with far less time than me know that UPS and the management do not bow down to OSHA regulations nor do they enforce these regulations on their employees (This grinder example shows this). But they do bow down to the coverup that is called the Keter Audit, they have to pass these audits because they have to appear and report to OSHA this appearance of being something they are not. *
:whatever:

OK. I agree. You should be forced to use one of the most unsafe pieces of equipment known to OSHA. Is that a better idea? Cant win either way.

rod

Retired 22 years
Keter has very little to do with it. If I explain to these mechanics how to maintain these grinders and they do not maintain them and get hurt. What does KETER matter? I worry more about the health of my mechanics and the operation than I do about KETER.

Damn---its getting deep in here.

PE Pro

Here is typically why the grinders get removed. it is the mechanics responsibility to maintain the grinder and the gap adjustments on the grinding wheels. More times than not the gaps are not maintained and the grinder gets gigged on an audit. Remove the grinder, problem solved.

Keter has very little to do with it. If I explain to these mechanics how to maintain these grinders and they do not maintain them and get hurt. What does KETER matter? I worry more about the health of my mechanics and the operation than I do about KETER.
Sure I believe you! This whole situation stinks. :poop:

rod

Retired 22 years
I would of had that grinder in my garage in a heart beat. I checked the UPS dumpster and old parts pile every night to see what treasures management had thrown away that day. For what its worth----any mechanic that has to jerry-rig 1980's P 800's and P-1000's to keep them on the road needs a grinder. Its called fabricating parts. Desk drivers wouldn't understand that.

PE Pro

OK. I agree. You should be forced to use one of the most unsafe pieces of equipment known to OSHA. Is that a better idea? Cant win either way.
A bench grinder if used and maintained correctly with all safeguards in place and if the operator uses proper PPE is a reasonably safe shop tool. All shop tools are dangerous.:yes:

klein

Für Meno :)
A bench grinder if used and maintained correctly with all safeguards in place and if the operator uses proper PPE is a reasonably safe shop tool. All shop tools are dangerous.:yes:

Don't you know yet, that an unlicensed UPS sup, has more knowlege then a licensed heavy duty mechanic ?

Face it, they had one bad grinder in one certain facility, got written up for it, and now the crackdown began.

Oddly enough, full time, higher up sups, are long gone at home, and sleeping, when the mechanics do most of their work.

upssup

Don't you know yet, that an unlicensed UPS sup, has more knowlege then a licensed heavy duty mechanic ?

Face it, they had one bad grinder in one certain facility, got written up for it, and now the crackdown began.

Oddly enough, full time, higher up sups, are long gone at home, and sleeping, when the mechanics do most of their work.

By the way I was a "licensed" mechanic with UPS for 5 years prior, so been there done that! I work from 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM with my mechanics. If it was one grinder it would be the exception. You need to know what you are talking about before you open your pie hole!

klein

Für Meno :)
By the way I was a "licensed" mechanic with UPS for 5 years prior, so been there done that! I work from 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM with my mechanics. If it was one grinder it would be the exception. You need to know what you are talking about before you open your pie hole!

Well, I have sympathy for the UPS mechanics. I did talk to them often.
They are more under stress, then the drivers, (atleast in our center, I once worked in).
1 single mechanic to maintain 27 vehicles each (2 of them).

They don't know where to start most days.

But, yes, every center may be different.... and the olden days are gone.

ups1990

So when a mechanic hurts himself trying to "MacGuyver" a repair instead of having the right tool for the job then they`ll come up with another rule to cover that.
" MacGuyver". Isn't this what all drivers do in order to delivery every stop and make the 15 minute pu window and bring in all their air by 6pm.:funny:

brown bomber

brown bomber
just wondering............Do you in fact have to answer questions by a Keter auditor?????..... or can you simply ask the auditor are you from OSHA????......if they're not from OSHA, can you refuse to answer questions????........just wondering...................Who's in charge of the dog and pony show?????? KETER OSHA UPS MGT

satellitedriver

Who issued this license?
I have never heard of such a thing.
Maybe you mean you earned certifications.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

So its OK to put people out on the road in cars that dont have 3 pt seat belts or power steering....but we care so much about the safety of the mechanics that we will take away their grinder. Whatever.

JustTired

free at last.......
I will agree that grinders can be a dangerous tool when used improperly or are improperly maintained.

My question is......what about the mechanic in an extended center who is alone in the building at 3 A.M. , crawling around under a car on jackstands? What happens if the car should fall off the stands and he is pinned under the car with no one else in the building to come to his aid? Isn't this an OSHA concern?

If I was concerned with the safety of my employee......I would demand that a mechanic never be alone in a building while performing his duties. Even if you had to pay someone a minimum amount of money to sit there and watch him work. If you're gonna worry about an injury from a grinder......then shouldn't you worry about the scenario above? Or is this not a part of the audit process and therefore not a concern to the company?

tieguy

Banned
An auto mechanic told me today that his new manager had them get rid of the bench grinder. He told me that his supervisor had him personally get rid of it. He disposed it in the metal hopper. Another mechanic told me that this manager was doing this where ever he goes. According to them he says they don't need one. In all my years in maintenance every auto shop that I have ever been in has had a bench grinder. We still have one in our PE cage, we use it regularly actually the one we have is probably original to the building which is about 20 years old and the one that went into the hopper is 2-3 years old max. The guys are speculating that either someone in UPS got hurt on a bench grinder or that this management guy has had some keter audit issues with bench grinders. Either way great solution!! Way to go!! Double thumbs up for this call.:thumbup:

There is a higher wisdom here that escapes me? You're saying there may be ketter and therefore osha issues with a bench grinder that could get us hefty fines and we should ignore this and keep the equipment?