No more soup for you!! I mean no more bench grinders for you!!

tieguy

Banned
By the way I was a "licensed" mechanic with UPS for 5 years prior, so been there done that! I work from 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM with my mechanics. If it was one grinder it would be the exception. You need to know what you are talking about before you open your pie hole!

Klein arguing vehemently about some ups internal issue that he knows absolutely nothing about. who would have ever thought it.

bluehdmc

Grinder gets taken away, mechanic cannot properly maintain tools such as chisel, has to use chisel on a job, head on chisel is all mushroomed, piece of mushroom breaks off striking mechanic in arm, causing injury. Of course this is mechanics fault for using poorly maintained or unsafe tool. Tool could have been maintained but grinder was taken away, because once in a faraway place, long ago grinder was not maintained, so all grinders must be taken away. Sounds like circular logic to me, if drivers have to "pre-trip" vehicles, why don't shops maintain tools and equipment. It wasn't the grinder's fault that in someplace faraway, long ago someone that didn't maintain the grinder used an unsafe grinder, instead of repaining it before using it. Makes sense to me.
Someone long ago and faraway once got hurt on a ladder, so by this logic all ladders should be thrown out.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is a higher wisdom here that escapes me? You're saying there may be ketter and therefore osha issues with a bench grinder that could get us hefty fines and we should ignore this and keep the equipment?

No, the higher wisdom would be to keep the equipment, and keep it in good working order.
Even if it means that this manager would have to come out of his cinder block office, from behind his laptop computer, and his piles of spread sheets, and has to do some real managing of the actual work area rather than the cyber work area.
This includes possibly levying some discipline on the machanics that fail perform their delegated duties.
Isn't that how it works in most areas of this company?

As an Ex Mechanic (not for UPS), I fully understand the possible dangers of a bench grinder. If that thing gets a hold of you, serious injury can result. Even a properly maintained grinder can hurt you. This means that proper training on and maintenance of the grinder is essential to safe operation. No different than driving a package car.
The question is, do the mechanics know the proper maintenance and tolerance specs? If not, they should be taught, if yes they should be held to those standards.
Klien's analogy is spot on.
Sorry UPSSUP, your logic is very flawed. If you have trouble getting your employees to follow the rules, removing the object of the rule just covers up your need for further training as a supervisor.

PE Pro

Grinders are dangerous. Grinders are one of the most frequent OSHA citations in industry. Each citation is treated as a repeat offense if the violation has ever occurred at the company, which means the fines escalate to tens of thousands or more per additional occurrence.

People that use them are unaware of the dangers and the causes of potential fines.
How often has UPS been fined for bench grinder violations?:confused:

bluehdmc

Grinders are dangerous. Grinders are one of the most frequent OSHA citations in industry. Each citation is treated as a repeat offense if the violation has ever occurred at the company, which means the fines escalate to tens of thousands or more per additional occurrence.

People that use them are unaware of the dangers and the causes of potential fines.

Wouldn't UPS appeal those fines? It would seem if the company has a grinder problem in California, it is not the same grinder in Florida.

upssup

Who issued this license?
I have never heard of such a thing.
Maybe you mean you earned certifications.

I do not know either. Klein was talking about being a licensed UPS mechanic that is why I answered it the way I did. I was a mechanic with UPS for 5 years before the labotomy.

klein

Für Meno :)
I do not know either. Klein was talking about being a licensed UPS mechanic that is why I answered it the way I did. I was a mechanic with UPS for 5 years before the labotomy.

Sorry for the language barrier.
We call anyone with certification licensed.
Licensed mechanic, licensed eletrician, etc.

JonFrum

Same here.

And a car's registration plate is called a license plate.

But James Bond's "double 00" designation is never called a "certification to kill." Just doesn't sound as cool.

And in Worma (Worcester, Ma.) a sub sandwich is called a grinder.

klein

Same here.

And a car's registration plate is called a license plate.

But James Bond's "double 00" designation is never called a "certification to kill." Just doesn't sound as cool.

And in Worma (Worcester, Ma.) a sub sandwich is called a grinder.

I'm also certified to drive a car, but only got a license issued ! :(

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
What's soup got to do with a bench grinder anyway?

It's absolutely hilarious to see all the opposition to removing a known safety hazard. Google "OSHA Grinder" to see for yourself.

:happy2:

upssup

OK, so if I identify a mechanic that cannot follow the basic rules of maintaining shop equipment and after many times of either training or discipline, what should I do? Dare I say fire him? In the meanwhile. Yes I will take away the bench grinder if he cannot show me that he is willing to maintain it, why should he have it. I do not think I would sleep well if that were the case. I do not have this issue with any of my assigned mechanics. The ones that can follow the simple rules, have the grinders, the ones that repeatedly get caught not maintaining the grinders get them removed. If I know, they know how to maintain it and they chose not to do it, they can do without it. It is that simple. How is that flawed?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
:smart::smart:
OK, so if I identify a mechanic that cannot follow the basic rules of maintaining shop equipment and after many times of either training or discipline, what should I do? Dare I say fire him? In the meanwhile. Yes I will take away the bench grinder if he cannot show me that he is willing to maintain it, why should he have it. I do not think I would sleep well if that were the case. I do not have this issue with any of my assigned mechanics. The ones that can follow the simple rules, have the grinders, the ones that repeatedly get caught not maintaining the grinders get them removed. If I know, they know how to maintain it and they chose not to do it, they can do without it. It is that simple. How is that flawed?

Your thought process is right on point.....if your teaching grade school.

klein

:smart::smart:

Your thought process is right on point.....if your teaching grade school.

Could you just imagine if he was a landscaper sup ? Take away the gas lawnmower, and let them use a hand pushed one, instead, because a tune up wasn't made, or blades haven't been maintenanced !!!

upssup

You keep drivin'em and I'll make sure they run, how's that. I know better than to criticize you about operating them, I wish you thought the same about us fixing them.

satellitedriver

The language is simple, and the laws are clear.
One must be certified to show proficiency in the subject matter, to gain a certification.
IE;
mechanics, welding, plumbing, electrical, ect.....
One must gain a license to practice certain skills for the public.
Electrician, plumber, lawyer, ect...
In American English, the terms certified and licensed are mutually exclusive.
Back to the original topic.
I find the topic idiotic.
I have many certifications, in the metalwork field, and have probably worn out more grinder wheels and blades than 90% of all UPSer's.
The improper use of any tool is never the tools fault.
When I had to oversee -( and teach)- young mechanics, I never threw away the wrench when they busted their knuckles.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
There seems to be much support for NOT getting rid of equipment that has the potential to cause injury. A bench grinder is NOT an essential tool in the UPS world and the job can be done by utilizing safer methods and tools. I agree that a grinder can be used safely if the operator takes the proper precautions. The sentiment of the board is KEEP THE GRINDER, HOLD THE PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE for injuries and fines.

Why is it that many of the board regulars support the COMPLETE OPPOSITE when it comes to vehicles or anything else people don't like? If it were announced that all older vehicles are being eliminated due to safety concerns, there would undoubtedly be overwhelming support. If it were announced that due to safety concerns tire chains, SCBA gear, trash cans, manual car wash equipment, over 70 rollers, or anything else people would prefer not to have to use, people would simply say "Fine, I'm happy with it and if the job takes longer or can't be done, it's UPS' problem"

Does this make sense?

A grinder doesn't cause injuries, the people do. A vehicle doesn't cause injuries, the people do ?????????????????

tieguy

Banned
Why is it that many of the board regulars support the COMPLETE OPPOSITE when it comes to vehicles or anything else people don't like? If it were announced that all older vehicles are being eliminated due to safety concerns, there would undoubtedly be overwhelming support.
A grinder doesn't cause injuries, the people do. A vehicle doesn't cause injuries, the people do ?????????????????

+11111111111111111111111