no thanksgiving pay?

stringerman85

today they held meetings (im at UPS freight) saying that due to the exact wording of the contract, nobody will be getting holiday pay on thursday and friday of next week when we are off for thanksgiving

i was on the dock during the meeting so alot of us didnt hear it, but we definitely heard the drivers bitchin about it....so i guess we are gonna get a 3 day paycheck......

but everybody said they got the holiday pay ever year before and even when it was overnite they got it

anybody else hear this?

Kind of defeats one of the purposes of having a union

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes, it does defeat the purpose of the union!

These are UPS HOLIDAYS, not ACTUAL HOLIDAYS. Thu and Fri are clearly UPS Holidays and are treated as such. I am not sure how UPS freight handles these though. If they are all the same, your boss is feeding you a bunch of crap and hoping people believe it.

Indy135, is there an online version of your contract or can you post the exact wording from the contract?
I googled it but couldn't find anything helpful.

tincup

Thursday and friday are holidays for thanksgiving, were all paid for that.

For christmas were off wendsday and thursday, the company is saying friday is a nonservice day and we will be closed and if you do not work on friday you will not be paid for wendsday or thursday. Unless you schedule a paid day off for friday, then you will be paid wendsday and thursday.

This is a scam they are trying to get you to burn a vacation day or discretionary day. You are guaranteed 40 hours a week just file on that and you will be paid.

steeltoe

Indy,the wording at least in our contract and probably your pertains to getting paid for the Holiday which for UPS is Thur and Fri. To prevent people from calling in on Wed or Mon they require you to work both to get the holiday(Thur + Fri) pay. It sounds like someone is misinterpreting the language. If you work Wed and Mon you should get paid for both.

On the subject of including Freight into the UPS family I have found that now that they have recognized the Feeder division as being the superior drivers we all get along fine.

This is a very common misconception and management takes full effect of leading our employee's to believe this. Take a moment and re-read your language. Here in the Southern Region, Article 60 (Holidays) clearly states.

"One of the qualifications is that seniority employee's must complete the regularly scheduled work day which immediately precedes or follows the holiday,..."

The language does not say and. This means that you must complete only 1 of the 2 days. The one before or the one after. I hear it every year from supervisors that you must be at work both days. This is untrue. You must complete only one of the two.

This is a very common misconception and management takes full effect of leading our employee's to believe this. Take a moment and re-read your language. Here in the Southern Region, Article 60 (Holidays) clearly states.

"One of the qualifications is that seniority employee's must complete the regularly scheduled work day which immediately precedes or follows the holiday,..."

The language does not say and. This means that you must complete only 1 of the 2 days. The one before or the one after. I hear it every year from supervisors that you must be at work both days. This is untrue. You must complete only one of the two.

You are correct and I should have caught that as I typed it. That game has been tried in the past and failed and I was thinking that and typed "both" instead of "either". Good catch.

slaveof18wheels

Steel & Cach you guys are referring to packages contract language. Freights language is quite different. Ours clearly states under Article 25, section 4 "The Employer will pay full-time and casual employees for the following nine holidays each year provided they work either the day before AND the day after the holiday OR are on an approved PAID abscence:
New Years Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving

Last edited:

slaveof18wheels

Christmas Eve
Christma Day
Floating Holiday (to be approved by management)

However our descretionary days are devidable buy hours so many of the people with d-days left are just splitting one up to make sure they get the holiday pay

slaveof18wheels

Thursday and friday are holidays for thanksgiving, were all paid for that.

For christmas were off wendsday and thursday, the company is saying friday is a nonservice day and we will be closed and if you do not work on friday you will not be paid for wendsday or thursday. Unless you schedule a paid day off for friday, then you will be paid wendsday and thursday.

This is a scam they are trying to get you to burn a vacation day or discretionary day. Unfortunately our contract reads exactly that under article 25 section 4 "Holidays" You are guaranteed 40 hours a week just file on that and you will be paid. As for filing under 40 that may not go anywhere either. Many managers are reading the language that if you come into work you are guaranteed 8 hours but many of our 90% are staying home because of lack of work and they aren't getting paid. The better chance of winning this argument this year is the fact that the new rules were put into place AFTER we had selected our vacation time under the old practices. Once the policy had changed UPS Frt should have allowed us the option to rebid our vacation schedules with the final interpretation of the new holiday rules. However they are still discussing what to do at the national level and I know that this issue has already been brought to the attention of NLRB in Chicagoland.

slaveof18wheels

On the subject of including Freight into the UPS family I have found that now that they have recognized the Feeder division as being the superior drivers we all get along fine.

:clubbing:
Freight-Feeder!! I guess that sounds like a challenge to me. I guess I will be seeing you at the cache rodeo next year....HHMMMM?