No Word Yet on 2009 UPS NASCAR Plans

rod

Retired 22 years
well Im sure you missed the race tonight at Bristol... but it was far from boring

Ya got me there--- yes I missed the Bristol race---I was at my local dirt track getting dirt in my beer. The best Bristol races ever were when they covered the track with dirt (clay) and the World of Outlaw sprint cars raced there. MUCH faster racing than NASCAR. Bristol is probably the best track NASCAR races on.:peaceful:

JustTired

free at last.......
You mean NASCAR is going to bore us for another year? :whiteflag:

I'm beginning to find that to be, more and more, the case. While I have nothing against Kyle Bush, I find myself turning the channel when he takes the lead. After all, I seen the same thing the week before......and the week before that. I will say that he makes it exciting until he gets to the front. If all drivers raced like he does, it would be hard to change channels.

As in everything else, big business is ruining the sport.

By the way.....haven't watched even one minute of Olympic coverage for two reasons. 1. Don't care to watch anything happening in "communist China" 2. Haven't watched since they started letting professional athletes compete.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By the way.....haven't watched even one minute of Olympic coverage for two reasons. 1. Don't care to watch anything happening in "communist China" 2. Haven't watched since they started letting professional athletes compete.

That's a shame--you have missed some of the most pure athletic competition (other than the NBA All-Star team) in history. Michael Phelps is nothing short of amazing. I do agree with you on the professional athletes and would love to see it go back to amateurs only but we would be naive to think that other countries do not "pay" their athletes, just not as openly.

If you want to enjoy sports for what they are supposed to be, I invite you to watch the Little League World Series championship game today at 3:30pm on ABC. Although I don't think they should be allowed to throw curves or sliders, these kids play simply for the love of the game and their emotions run the gamut.

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
In my opinion UPS shouldn't sponsor the truck series, I can't even watch them race because my cable provider doesn't offer the speed channel. They should go after a good driver like Ryan Newman, he's clean cut and fits the corporate image, even though for a company who's number driven they should've sponsored Tony Stewart (2 time champion & 38 wins) but too late.

FAVREFAN

Nascar has been on a downward spiral for 3 years now. The whole world laughs at us for making it what it has become. It's a joke in the racing world. It's the lowest form of talent in the racing world. I'd love to see it on its knees.

barnyard

KTM rider
I've never understood sitting inside on a Sunday, watching TV all afternoon. nascar, NBA, NFL, MLB, they are all the same. Huge waste o time.

During the weekend, I like to race dirtbikes or go fishing or just about anything rather than sit in front of the TV. Participating is so much more fun than observing.

Except today, but I am in a hospital room with my daughter.

TB

rod

Retired 22 years
Guess youve never seen any restrictor plate races

I never understood the concept of putting something on a racecar that makes it go slower. To me that isn't racing. I also don't like the new 1000 foot rule the NHRA is doing. I'm more of a fan of the Mad Max style of racing.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
I never understood the concept of putting something on a racecar that makes it go slower. To me that isn't racing. I also don't like the new 1000 foot rule the NHRA is doing. I'm more of a fan of the Mad Max style of racing.

Both are safety measures.....Im all for racing but safety needs to be a top priority

rod

Retired 22 years
Both are safety measures.....Im all for racing but safety needs to be a top priority

I'm all for saftey but where do you draw the line. If someone bites the bullet in a 1000 ft drag race does that mean they shorten it up to 750 ft. Racing is a dangerous sport-------if you make so many rules that it isn't dangerous anymore the crowds will dwindle to nothing.

Cementups

Box Monkey
well Im sure you missed the race tonight at Bristol... but it was far from boring

I didn't miss it or the Nationwide race. I was in Turn 3 for both races. the Cup race a pretty good race. I was happy with either driver winning that race but I would have prefered Shrubby to win after he dominated the whole night long.

diesel96

Talladega Crash Bobby Allison Bill Elliott
You can thank that incident for restrictor plates.
I like to see the new "cars of tommorrow" develope a device preventing them from "lift off" when catching wind under their spoilers. Eliminating restrictor plate racing, eliminates "the big one" at the super speedways....

Instead of sponsoring nascar or truck racing I would much prefer UPS sponsor NEW PACKAGE CARS that would actually help get the packages delivered.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I didn't miss it or the Nationwide race. I was in Turn 3 for both races. the Cup race a pretty good race. I was happy with either driver winning that race but I would have prefered Shrubby to win after he dominated the whole night long.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, there is nothing quite like Bristol. I could have had 4 tickets but I'm the only retired guy in the crowd and 1000 mile round trip by myself in a 7 MPG RV wasn't in the budget!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I haven't either.

Summer is a very precious commodity around these parts. We are not that far away from snow. Wasting a weekend watching "racing" seems like a waste of a great summer day.

TB

Thank God for Tivo & DVR's. You can watch racing & other sporting events in the evening and not waste the beautiful summer day!

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
"from thatsracin:

UPS will go with Roush Fenway Fords, David Ragan
JIM UTTER
The Charlotte Observer
Sunday, Aug. 31, 2008
FONTANA, Calif. - Roush Fenway Racing is taking delivery of the much-coveted UPS sponsorship.

UPS has reached a multiyear agreement with Roush to sponsor the team's No. 6 Ford driven by David Ragan beginning with the 2009 season, The Charlotte Observer and ThatsRacin.com have learned.

A formal announcement of the move is expected within the next two weeks, sources said Sunday.

UPS also considered sponsoring a car with Stewart-Hass Racing and briefly considered sponsoring NASCAR's Truck series, NASCAR officials had previously acknowledged.

Ragan, 22, is in his second full season of Cup and Nationwide competition with Roush and entered Sunday's race still in the hunt for a spot in this year's Chase.

UPS currently sponsors Michael Waltrip Racing's No. 44 Toyota driven by David Reutimann. The company sponsored veteran Dale Jarrett for several years prior to this season."