Nobody wants to drive in chicago!!

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
Unbelievable there seems to be a driver shortage in Chicago. Centers are hurting for new drivers, and the ranks dont want to fill them, they are waiting for combo jobs. :confused:1 This is unheard off, is this happening anywhere else in the country?

brownrodster

Unbelievable there seems to be a driver shortage in Chicago. Centers are hurting for new drivers, and the ranks dont want to fill them, they are waiting for combo jobs. :confused:1 This is unheard off, is this happening anywhere else in the country?

Not where I'm at. But it does take a hell of a lot more seniority to get a 22.3 job here than driver. And this year they made no new 22.3 jobs!!! There's been 2 per year for the last 3 or 4 years.

JustTired

free at last.......
Could it be that most people would rather work from 4am til 1pm or so? That as opposed to 9am til ??????? Can't really blame them.

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
Don`t know about package but I know they`re having a hard time finding guys to come to feeder from package. Heard part of it was some guys don1t want to do nights and such. Oh well, they must like humping Nordic Tracs and such.
Thats bull, there a long list of 705 pkg car drivers waiting to go into feeder. What the uppers dont want is to give up the pkg car drivers.

brownman15

Thats bull, there a long list of 705 pkg car drivers waiting to go into feeder. What the uppers dont want is to give up the pkg car drivers.

i am in 705 too and there is a long waiting list to go to feeder but they are hiring pkg car drivers of street or part-timers that have only work a couple of weeks

upsgrunt

Maybe it's because they can never learn the three streets in Chicago that rhyme with vagina-

There is Melvina

There is Paulina

And there is Lunt!:lol:

JustTired

free at last.......
they are hiring pkg car drivers of street or part-timers that have only work a couple of weeks

Shouldn't be a problem. With PAS/EDD, anybody can do our job.:wink:

I don't think it's "nobody wants to drive" so much as nobody wanting to work that hard and, at the same time, give up that much of their personal life. That's why the delivery drivers want into feeders.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The p-timers are witing for 22.3 jobs over package driver. the problem here is when you sign up for package or even feeder you check the boxes for the buildings you would like to go to. Alot of people are not aware that they might be able to go to another building that they didnt chose, so i siuggest that you check every building when you sign up!

Cach i have the new feeder list and it has over 400 package car names in waiting, here again theres a problem that some north guys dont want to go north to your building because its to far south. Do me a favor and look at the bottom seniorty feeder guys for me for their friend-time seniority date, i have several guys that will go anywhere and if they have more seniority i will file for them immediately.

We also have porters and 22.3 members putting their names on the feeder list, we have filed grievances locally on this because ups is saying they dont have 1 year safe driving to qualify, which is bs because two of the grievants are car washers and drive package cars every night.

Face it our 22.3 car wash preloaders see us in the morning then again see us when we are ging home and they are coming back to work so why would they want to drive package and bust their butts for $14.70ish to start and over 2 years go upto $18 an hour and then at 30 months top out at $28 an hour? Yes ups pays good but alot of people dont want to work this hard to make it!

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Here in Stuart, Fla. we can't bid into another building, there are no 22.3 jobs, and our cover drivers are preloaders or reloaders that mgmt. rides with on the days to many of us drivers call in sick. There's really no where to go from pkg cars except into management:lol::lol::lol: I doubt they want me

lovetokayak

If it is true, that Chicago has difficulty finding PC drivers, I would be willing to relocate to drive there!!! My husband works there as it is and only see him on weekends. My center has been playing games with me for months, keeping me around with the off-the-street-hire speech. I work hard and work well, if I have to move, heck I'm packing my house up tomorrow!!!

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
If it is true, that Chicago has difficulty finding PC drivers, I would be willing to relocate to drive there!!! My husband works there as it is and only see him on weekends. My center has been playing games with me for months, keeping me around with the off-the-street-hire speech. I work hard and work well, if I have to move, heck I'm packing my house up tomorrow!!!
They'll play games with you here, too (at least with respect to inside hires, I have no reason to expect they'd play any nicer with an off-the-street or part-time management hire). A co-worker hired on just before last Peak season expressly to become full-time PC driver (he'd been a casual for USPS but prospects for full time were nil). They threw him in with us hubrats and really worked him hard. Yanked his chain for a long time before even letting him take the road test. They finally sent him to school, only to send him back to the hub with the excuse that there weren't any available training supes in any of our centers. And even if there were, THERE WERE ONLY 30 DAYS LEFT TO GET HIS 40 DAYS IN! I'd been trying to gently clue him in that he needed to check with our local and not just rely on what UPS was spoonfeeding him, when I spotted our B.A. and introduced the two of them. She confirmed what I suspected, that 9-10 mos. in the hub was nowhere near enough seniority on our building's list (we can apply for PC into any or all of 10 different buildings, some may have a list that short)(feeders in any or all of 5 buildings after 1 year PC). But last I heard he did go out on the road, maybe he figured boiling in a brown truck during the day would be a nice break from roasting in a gray trailer at night.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I wouldn't want to drive in Metro Chicago--PERIOD!!!!! Too cold in winter and faaaar too humid in Summer. Now Denver..........I'd drive here but its just not gonna happen. -Rocky

Braveheart

We are having cover drivers DQ themselves to go back to part time due to all the management BS. We also have had at least 5 full timers quit in the last 10 months over the BS. They are still fortunate enough to get peolpe to sign up but are having a hard time keeping them. I still can't figure out why UPS will not allow transfers for full timers?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I still can't figure out why UPS will not allow transfers for full timers?

I have a theory on that. It could partly be based on training. Managers/supe's like to do their own training. We all know supes/managers have their own little quirks. Training is no exception. While I too would like to see full-timers have more or better opportunities to transfer, training may be a problem. Imagine having a driver with 10 years on road in suburban Chicago decides he wants to transfer to Cheyenne, Wyoming. The traffic patterns and realities of driving in a new city are enough without including the fact that the transferee is coming in with his own set of developed tendencies and perceptions. For many managers and supes, this just isn't good. I'm not saying transfers are a bad idea. Personally, I think transfers are a great idea! There are things a driver from a suburban setting could bring to a rural setting, particularly experience. You never know how something--even miniscule--could be applied to a new setting. For example, a driver may do one little thing on his suburban route that may save him 10 or 15 minutes. Its very possible he could do the same somewhere else. Maybe that one thing could be applied to a dozen routes, sans in a different way. This is part of why I'm such an advocate of promotion from within.

I think I've hijacked this thread enough. -Rocky