NooB Driver Helper :0

freeloader_30

Hi, everyone

I am new to the forum, but started in early October as a driver helper and have already been doing some pre-load work. So far so good and peak has already hit us. For Friday, yesterday, we had 230 stops (businesses and resis') total for the day which accounts to about 10hrs of work, mind you no lunch. Working for UPS is not a piece of cake, but I luv it because it helps keep me in shape and the gratification of seeing customers get their package.

I personally did not have any formal training on the diad board; in fact, I learned to use an obsolete, bigger model the diad III. Most of my training on the diad was either from the driver or trial and error. So get to know the bells and whistes of the board to help you familiarize where the right buttons are at.

Any piece of advice I can offer anyone who is barely working as a helper is this job is very demanding and just sitting there looking pretty is not going to help your driver or you. Get to know your driver by observing their characteristics or body language. For example, there are many drivers who like to talk a lot and many others that do not. So trying to ‘size up’ your driver should prevent any fallout between you, your future with UPS, and the driver. Also being able to foretell what the driver will do next or what he wants to do. For instance locating the next address, help with switching into the next lane, etc. And NEVER hesitate to ask questions.

B

blueterrior

your point on watching drivers body language is right on man! I pay close attention to my drivers emotions and tone of voice to figure what works best for him. ive also noticed that drivers tha tare outwardly friendly and talkative are generally slower and less productive. the drivers that are more quiet and reserved generally work faster, and better. ricky, one of my drivers hardly spoke a word the whole day...but he never got lost, knew exactly where every package was on the truck, and everytime i got out to run a package, he was either running one (or two) himself or lining up the next 3 stops.