Noob question : Fee upon hire ??

Rob

Hi all,

I went in for an interview today at UPS for a driver position. While waiting for others to show up, the manager there was telling us a little bit about the job. He was talking a mile a minute and was a bit hard to understand. He mentioned union dues, but he also mentioned a 1,000 dollar 'fee' I'd be paying back to UPS upon hire. 100 bucks out of every paycheck until I pay it back. Can anyone tell me what this is about? He didn't really go into much detail. Thanks very much

Rob

Rob

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything. Is it for training? Do you know what it's for Leftinbuilding?

Leftinbuilding

No, I really don't. Could be the Union initiation fee, but that sounds a little steep. Someone will have an answer for you. This place is a wealth of information.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No, UPS pays you to work. You don't pay UPS to get hired. You must have misunderstood the Manager. Good luck with the job. Remember, the boxes come off one stop at a time.:closedeye

brownrecluse

I'm a new seasonal package car driver too - and I did not hear about anything like this. I did hear about monthly union dues being collected at something like 1 or 2 times your hourly wage plus a buck or two... However, apparently the union initiation fee will not be collected until permanent status... is this fairly accurate?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
they will deduct so much from your weekly ck to pay the union membership fee.ups collects it from you to pay the union.don't know where you are, but here in Boston [american league champs again] its 800 to join.If your hired as seasonal get a withdrawel card from union when you get laid off, then when called back continue to pay it off... good luck, also get to know your shop steward there at your center he/she will have more info go sox go sox go sox !!!!!!

browned_out

I think you start paying the union after you make your probation period, they will take out installments from your check weekly. I want to say that a driver is charged about $250.00 to join the union and then monthly dues of $60/65 a month. I could be off on the numbers, it been awhile since I was hired. Hope that helps, the $60/65 is based upon top wage so your starting dues may be lower ( I think it's 2 times your hourly rate).

helenofcalifornia

$800 a month in Boston???? WOW!! I had no idea that there was that much of a difference in initiation dues. We pay about $350 here. What does or did everyone else pay? I feel for you Boston.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
go sox go sox go sox !!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA.....your Red Sox are in for a RUDE surprise when they come to THIS city!! LOL. The only thing they'll go home with are wounded egos :lol::lol:. GO, ROCKIES, GO!!!:tongue_sm

We pay about $350 here. What does or did everyone else pay? I feel for you Boston.

I think Denver's initiation fee is about $175. I forget what dues were. And 'retirement' feels pretty d*mn good!! :w00t: -Rocky

Pickles

I know I just had to pay an extra $65 to go from part time to full time. Other than that it's $50 a month for me. 2.5 x hourly wage.

helenofcalifornia

How come there is such a wide variation of union initiation dues? Boston is getting ripped off and the ones paying $65 are unbelievably economically fortunate.

W

westsideworma

$800 a month in Boston???? WOW!! I had no idea that there was that much of a difference in initiation dues. We pay about $350 here. What does or did everyone else pay? I feel for you Boston.

I think he meant that was the initiation fee total. Ours is 500 (could be more now not sure) here in Worcester. and its taken out weekly in $25 increments. This is for part time however, I'm not sure about FT drivers here.